Track Reordering

Matthew Simon Fletcher

Question

Afternoon all,

Hope you're well!

I've been using Cakewalk for a number of months now and find it to be an excellent DAW for working on musical projects so big love for the developers.

I was wondering whether there is any way of saving different track orders? Similarly to how you can save snapshots of what is available on the screen.

For example I have a template project with groups of tracks such as keys, bass, guitars, orchestral, etc etc. This is useful for recording but when I'm mixing I'd like to be able to see a different view, such as all the instruments in a low range grouped together; ideally sorting the whole thing by frequency ranges.

What methods could I use to make this easier visually? I realise automation would be virtually impossible but if I could manually template it'd make life so much easier.

Best wishes,

Matthew

Edited by Matthew Simon Fletcher

4 answers to this question

I investigated using the alphabetical sort using number prefixes on the track titles to "simulate" an alternative track order.

Unfortunately this didn't work because it kept the instruments in their individual track folders and there was no way of reverting back to the old sort order.

One of the following would solve this issue for me:

1. Track order is held persistently by screensets, i.e. if the order is changed on one view it it is not reflected in the other. This would allow me to setup my usual grouping of tracks for recording and a different order for mixing.

2.  Custom tags/sort options that allow you to use bring up elements that match criteria, i.e. bass and then revert to the original sort order. The current sort order needs to be saved as its a preference order that doesn't currently correspond to another type, such as alphabetical.