Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lynn

Don't Take Candy From A Stranger

Recommended Posts

One of your best, Lynn!  I would up the vocal volume a bit at the chorus.  It seems to get a bit drowned out there because of the additional instrumentation. Ending is very effective.  Your voice is exceptionally good here.  It has kind of a soul edge to it.  It kind of reminds me of Randy Bachman.

🙂John B

Edited by Johnbee58
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, Lynn,

How's it going, brother?  Hope you're having a great weekend!😀

This is a really cool and very haunting rocker!

Outstanding composition, fantastic vocals and harmonies, and personally, I absolutely love the arrangement.  I think that great sounding, somber piano and the other background keyboards provide the perfect laid back, eerie vibe that works perfectly with the powerful yet restrained vocals, and also let's the cool, tasty guitar work and fills shine through along with the vocals.

The mix sounds great and for some reason, this song reminds me of a cool combination of early Steely Dan and The Atlanta Rhythm Section, which I mean as a compliment!👍😀

I think this might be my new favorite from you, fantastic work, Lynn!👍

Have a good one, buddy!
Bob

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has that classic Lynn sound and feel, sorry I am late to the party but I too have had a bit of health issue to deal with since September so I have been distracted and unable to type that much as my arm was to painful.  Thanks for sharing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 4:14 PM, SteveC said:

Nice one, Lynn...    Loved the lyrics on this one, good stuff.   And I agree with Tom - that guitar solo needs to come up a notch so that it's more front & center.

About the only nit I'd have is that the drums seem a bit "static".

 

Steve, thanks for your input!  The guitar solo will come up in the next version.  As for the drums, perhaps they're overcompressed?  They're preset grooves from Superior Drummer 3 which have good dynamics, usually, unless someone gets too friendly with the compressor.

Edited by Lynn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2019 at 9:27 AM, DeeringAmps said:

Hey Lynn,
I'm gonna go with Steve on this one. I had a listen, but decided not to comment (no "brass" here I guess).
I get the message and well done on that. Agree maybe a  different approach would serve the lyrics better (think Pain of Love).

BTW, your body of work is most impressive!
Hung around to catch the top five...
Silver Lining, two big thumbs up there for sure!!
Love that guitar tone on Can't Wait!

Tom

Tom, thanks for your comments and time.  I was playing around with this the other day and found that a few minor chords and minor thirds give this a more somber tone, which I found haunting, but I don't want this to be too dire in the long run.  And, thanks for listening to the other songs.  That guitar tone in CAN'T WAIT is the Fender Super Reverb (which I owned in high school) from Amplitude 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update, if I had to choose one fender amp, it would be the Blackface Super Reverb.

So often when reviewing it comes down to “taste”. “If I was producing, I would”. Lots of times I just want to say “print it”, “what else ya got?” This is where the DAW does not “shine”; no project is ever “finished”.

Thank care Lynn, I’m a fan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2019 at 9:33 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Great vocal on this Lynn and good keyboards. Do like the timbre of your voice, got a bit of that Joe Cocker growl in there somewhere!!

Nigel

 

 

Thank you, Nigel, for the kind words.  I've been enjoying your terrific songs here, but haven't had time to comment.  I will soon do that, and keep up the good works.

On 11/15/2019 at 12:24 PM, macce said:

Cool! Great rock song and performance.

Arrangement and mix sounds good.

macce, thanks for your input.  Very encouraging!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 11:13 AM, Johnbee58 said:

One of your best, Lynn!  I would up the vocal volume a bit at the chorus.  It seems to get a bit drowned out there because of the additional instrumentation. Ending is very effective.  Your voice is exceptionally good here.  It has kind of a soul edge to it.  It kind of reminds me of Randy Bachman.

🙂John B

John, thanks for your input!  I agree that the chorus can come up a bit, and it will.

 

On 11/16/2019 at 2:29 PM, amiller said:

I like this song...good job!😊👍

Thank you so much for your kind words and time!

 

On 11/17/2019 at 3:35 AM, Bob Oister said:

Hey, Lynn,

How's it going, brother?  Hope you're having a great weekend!😀

This is a really cool and very haunting rocker!

Outstanding composition, fantastic vocals and harmonies, and personally, I absolutely love the arrangement.  I think that great sounding, somber piano and the other background keyboards provide the perfect laid back, eerie vibe that works perfectly with the powerful yet restrained vocals, and also let's the cool, tasty guitar work and fills shine through along with the vocals.

The mix sounds great and for some reason, this song reminds me of a cool combination of early Steely Dan and The Atlanta Rhythm Section, which I mean as a compliment!👍😀

I think this might be my new favorite from you, fantastic work, Lynn!👍

Have a good one, buddy!
Bob

Hey Bob, it's good to hear from you.  Thanks for your comments, especially about the comparison to SD and ARS.  To be mentioned in the same breath as them is stunning! lol  Can't wait to get to your video and some of the other songs here at the moment.  As soon as I can...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2019 at 1:04 PM, Wookiee said:

Has that classic Lynn sound and feel, sorry I am late to the party but I too have had a bit of health issue to deal with since September so I have been distracted and unable to type that much as my arm was to painful.  Thanks for sharing.

Hi Wookie, I hope you are feeling better and have a quick and total recovery!  You're never too late for this party, and thanks for your kind words.  My pleasure.

 

On 11/17/2019 at 1:11 PM, kakku said:

Very good educational rock. Top

Kakku, what a nice thing to say!  A shame that the education is necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Lynn,

I have to come back later and listen to your song again ...While I was listening to it I got distracted and I wound up listening to your Defying Gravity song a few times ..

Man I love the way you sang that one .....I'll be back ...

 

Kenny

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...