Don't Take Candy From A Stranger

Lynn Wilson

Hi everyone, personal and family business has kept me busy over the last few months, but I've managed to find a little time in my studio to write this song.  I was inspired when I saw schoolkids performing "active shooter" drills on TV, and I was reminded of the "duck and cover" drills that I practiced as a kid to protect myself from nuclear attack.  My good friend, Roger Fife, played 5 string bass on this, while I did the rest.  Honestly, I'm not much of a piano player, and a better pianist than me could do justice to this song, but it is what it is.  I hope you enjoy it, and all comments and suggestions are welcome.  As always, thanks in advance!

It can be found here:  https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandid=1065571

Welcome back! That's a killer vocal, dude. Nice tune indeed. Your JoeWalshianTone guitar lead in the 2:20's could be louder to my ears, that's a nice component. 

Hey your piano chord comes primarily on the one . . . what about a piano chord on 1,2,3 and 4? Just sometimes, it might add a bit of drive or Dancehall stomp? There's an unwanted and unnecessary idea for you . . . let me know if you need more! :)

Always a good listen, your tunes are.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 2

Whale Well, this is good music. What else need I say here?  Has that slathering of Lynn in it that would make the sound unmistakable anywhere, yet each song has an originality to it....signature Lynn. Good Music. Nuff said. Thanks for sharing it!

• Like 1

Sorry mate, I just don't get the vibe on this one. Don't think the music fits the overall song and story, I've heard how good your guitar playing is and this song really needs that to replace the piano ... maybe in part. Am I right in thinking this is another mix from the one you pasted to SC, which I commented on compression ? Maybe not ...

I feel that if possible you should take the lyrics (which are bloody good) and rework it with a cleaner less padded sound, your voice and the way you put the lyrics in the song are typically you and are a Lynn hallmark.. You once, a long time ago, suggested much the same on one of my songs ' Everything is Grey'  Which I did and never regretted the advice so I'd say great lyric but ...

Love ya Man so I hope this doesn't offend

ATB

Steve 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 10:57 AM, RikF said:

Hey Lynn, nice one, good vocals. It starts a bit abruptly imho.

Rik

Thanks for your input.  Yeah, I usually write long intros, and I wanted to change it up on this.  I could easily add a few bars on the intro.

On 10/22/2019 at 11:03 AM, emeraldsoul said:

Welcome back! That's a killer vocal, dude. Nice tune indeed. Your JoeWalshianTone guitar lead in the 2:20's could be louder to my ears, that's a nice component. 

Hey your piano chord comes primarily on the one . . . what about a piano chord on 1,2,3 and 4? Just sometimes, it might add a bit of drive or Dancehall stomp? There's an unwanted and unnecessary idea for you . . . let me know if you need more! :)

Always a good listen, your tunes are.

cheers,

-Tom

Hi Tom, as usual, you have an interesting idea for me to chew on.  That's why I appealed to more experienced pianists than me.  I'll take all your ideas!

22 hours ago, Starise said:

Whale Well, this is good music. What else need I say here?  Has that slathering of Lynn in it that would make the sound unmistakable anywhere, yet each song has an originality to it....signature Lynn. Good Music. Nuff said. Thanks for sharing it!

Thank you, I really appreciate your kind words!

Daryl and Bjorn, thank you for taking the time to listen and reply.  I appreciate your remarks.

Steve, first, I'm not at all offended by your comments.  I appreciate the thoughtful response, and I understand how the somewhat upbeat music might not fit the overall grimness of the message.  I could take these lyrics and apply them to any number of genres and styles, such as heavy metal or country with heavy guitar chords or a steel guitar playing.  It's just that this song came so quickly when I sat down at the keyboard that I feel it was meant to be the way it is.  But, you got me thinking, and that's all I can ask for.  I don't remember your song "Everything is grey", but I'd love to hear it again if you could pass a link along.  

Leizer, thanks for your thought provoking comments.  You may be right, and I'll play around with your ideas.

6 hours ago, Lynn said:

Steve, first, I'm not at all offended by your comments.  I appreciate the thoughtful response, and I understand how the somewhat upbeat music might not fit the overall grimness of the message.  I could take these lyrics and apply them to any number of genres and styles, such as heavy metal or country with heavy guitar chords or a steel guitar playing.  It's just that this song came so quickly when I sat down at the keyboard that I feel it was meant to be the way it is.  But, you got me thinking, and that's all I can ask for.  I don't remember your song "Everything is grey", but I'd love to hear it again if you could pass a link along.  

So glad  you were not offended ..I really got the lyric and I did a 'salmon shot' as I felt I  needed to give you more the usual 'well done that's a great song' kinda hype we all have a tendency to give each other here ..  this has something spesh and a little  more than what you have given .. I do a lot of freebe mixing and mastering plus the odd lyric insert for people l feel didn't have what I have now (or had a kid and wanted) .. I know we're not kids anymore but I just feel this song has a message not delivered ... I have a couple of people .. well quite a few ..  I really Iike to keep up with and listen to here, not always worth or worthy  a comment such as I, but as it's not a paid for thing   Hay Ho ....  Glad it got you thinking though ..... plus wish we were closer, a good chat and few beers might put it to bed  ...LOL

Stay well mate

Steve

PS Refers :-

I don't remember your song "Everything is grey", but I'd love to hear it again if you could pass a link along.  

You and James changed the overal feel and lyric ... (When we were Cakewalk ne Bandlab pa)

• Like 1

Steve, I'd love to share a pint or two and chat you up!  I remember this beautiful song.  I can hardly believe that I had much to do with this because you have one of the most haunting voices I've heard in a long time, and can tell a story with just your phrasing.  Thanks for your input.

Douglas, thanks a million for your kind words!

• Like 2

Welcome back to the forum Lynn.  We have missed your contributions to the form.  If you are too busy to do a bit of music, then you must be to doggone busy.  No crit's from me on this one.  The lyrics and message are excellent.  You really have put in some strong vocals in this song and the harmonies are great.  Oh ya, the little falsetto whoo hoo's at the end  --  very cool!!!!    I really love the strong bass playing off of the distorted guitar panned left. 

Excellent work!

• Like 1

David, thanks for the compliment!  Funny thing about my voice, after years of abuse, I ended up with a gravel-like voice.

Freddy, I'm glad to still be here, though I don't yet have all the time that I use to have for this forum, yet.  I'm still busy helping family members, but it's all to the good.  Thanks for your kind words, and I look forward to spending a little more time here listening to all the cool new songs on this site.  Talk to you later!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one, Lynn...    Loved the lyrics on this one, good stuff.   And I agree with Tom - that guitar solo needs to come up a notch so that it's more front & center.

About the only nit I'd have is that the drums seem a bit "static".

• Like 1

Hey Lynn,
I'm gonna go with Steve on this one. I had a listen, but decided not to comment (no "brass" here I guess).
I get the message and well done on that. Agree maybe a  different approach would serve the lyrics better (think Pain of Love).

BTW, your body of work is most impressive!
Hung around to catch the top five...
Silver Lining, two big thumbs up there for sure!!
Love that guitar tone on Can't Wait!

Tom

• Like 1