Kontakt player invalid download path

Can't find anything that matches this on the NI support page or on their forum. I opened an account, downloaded Access from Native Instruments clicked on uninstalled products a bunch of free downloads showed up including kontakt player 6. (Iwant the piano Noir among other things)

I click where it says download all and immediately I get an error message saying invalid download path. 

I uninstalled Native Instruments access and reinstalled it with the same problems. Has anyone else experienced this? Thank you so much.

WSS

In Native Access you have to setup where to download files to and where to install them.  Click the account icon in the upper right and choose preferences.  Then give it a valid Download Location, Application location, Content location, VST 64 location and VST 32 location.  Hoover over the grey ? next to each one for a description of what that path is.

I suspect the path it defualted to for your download location isn't a valid directory which will cause that error.  Here's what mine looks like, though my paths are custom so it doesn't download everything to my normal download folder and my NI content is stored on a large content drive.  Your setup may be a lot simpler.

aCNsL2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Every user needs to decide where they want to store VST2 files.  VST3 has fixed directories you shouldn't change (it was one of the design changes they made) but for VST2 you have to pick something.  And then you have to make sure it's added to the list of directories your DAW and other VST using apps scan.  I'm using

c:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2  for 64-bit plugins and

c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST2 for 32-bit plugins

This echos the two directories that VST3 always uses.  I don't recommend users install VST into the Cakewalk VST plugin dir.  Leave that for Cakewalk stuff.

I also recommend you keep 32 and 64 bit separate.

There isn't a single one good answer though and no matter what you pick you will have to deal with managing it yourself.

• Thanks 1

I have the following folders specified in the Native Access Preferences.  I happen to use NI, because some of the paths of things get really long, and it sucks when doing a copy - like for a backup, or whatever, and Windows tells you a file path is too long, but doesn't tell you which one, etc...  So, NI keeps things a bit shorted than specifying the whole 'Native Instruments':

From My Native Access Preferences Settings (Set these in Native Access, to whatever drives you wish.  I have a number of drives, so I use those rather than loading things onto my 'C:' drive - for anything other than the stand-alone programs and the plugins). 

Download location: D:\Users\Robert\Downloads\NI\Native Access Downloads

Application location: C:\Program Files\NI

Content location: E:\NI

VST 64 location: C:\Program Files\VST64\NI

VST 32 location: C:\Program Files (x86)\VST32\NI

Bob Bone

• Thanks 1

Well - not sure if that would be a bottle neck for performance, - USB 3 speed - I don't recall how fast that is, compared to an internal SATA III HDD, or an internal SSSD, other than I think the SSD seek time would be quite a bit faster, and the fastest would be an M.2 2280 NVME PCIe drive, but you would need to look into whether or not you can either just plug that into an M.2 slot on your motherboard, or if there would be a PCIe card you could add to give you one or two of those ports. 

What kind of computer do you have, and is there room for internal drives?

Bob Bone

• Thanks 1

Actual performance of any external (or internal) drive is a combination of so many factors it isn't funny.  USB external devices have so many supported fall back modes they often under perform for reasons you may not be able to see.  Internal SATA and NVMe devices don't have many fall backs, so they either work at the right speed or don't work at all.  That awesome fast USB3 SSD external drive hooked to the wrong port (or the right port configured wrong) will still work but be dog slow.

If you have good USB3 ports and a good external USB3 container and a good SSD drive, you may get decent performance.  Hooking that same drive to an internal SATA port will almost always get better performance though, USB3 isn't as good as SATA for discs.  USB3.1 and Thunderbolt may beat internal SATA3 connections.  Maybe.  But right now the hot ticket is NVMe drives.  The right combination there can get you very high speeds.

In any case I'd recommend getting the largest fastest drive you can to store your NI instruments on.  My NI content directory is more than 2.2TB.  (OK I've been at this for 20+ years and never let anything go).  Libraries are only going to get bigger and bigger.  I'd say 1TB is the minimum I'd use for a sample drive.  And I also recommend always buy drives in groups of two.  One for the data and one to backup the data.  I usually don't buy the same brand/model either.  I use very large old school hard drives for the backups personally.   My backups take a bit longer but it's more manageable.

• Thanks 1