[SOLVED] How/Why Do you Use the Video Feature in CW?

razor7music

Hello Group--

I just started producing my own music videos, and I've been using Vegas Pro. I know CW has the ability to import video for editing audio, but I've never used it before or if I even need to use it now.

My guess is you would use it for adding or editing audio to a video in sync, but I wasn't sure what other uses someone might have for using the video feature in CW?

Thanks!

Edited by razor7music

With Vegas, you really don't need the CW video features for anything - other than being able to edit your audio in a familiar environment. Of course, Vegas doesn't do everything CW does (i.e. no MIDI) but it does cover everything you're likely to need within the context of editing audio to fit video. (Caveat: I am not a Vegas expert.)

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

With Vegas, you really don't need the CW video features for anything - other than being able to edit your audio in a familiar environment. Of course, Vegas doesn't do everything CW does (i.e. no MIDI) but it does cover everything you're likely to need within the context of editing audio to fit video. (Caveat: I am not a Vegas expert.)

That makes sense. I am working with completed, mastered audio tracks and the only edits I do are to video, so that supports your answer too.

Appreciate it!

Hope you're well.

On 10/21/2019 at 7:44 PM, InstrEd said:

No dis on Cakewalk but I found Mixcraft Pro Audio handles videos a lot better for me anyway.

Vegas exists alongside Sound Forge and Acid Pro - not in isolation.

Vegas is okay for Audio, but generally you'd do all of the music stuff in ACID Pro, bounce the audio to VEGAS Pro where you'd Mix things (they basically share much of the same technology - and base plugins - for this stuff), and then use Sound Forge Pro for Mastering.

They form an end-to-end workflow pipeline for Video and Audio.

Mixcraft does have some video editing features, as do many DAWs, but they are primitive compared even to many consumer-oriented video editors.

The only time you'd leave VEGAS Pro is if you're doing MIDI and Virtual Instrument/Synth-oriented things.  If you're just handed an already edited/mastered music track, VEGAS (and maybe Sound Forge) is all you need.  You don't need a DAW, at all, because that work has already been done.