​🗑️​Bapu's Random Thoughts For The Day

Bapu

Thank goodness you didn't see granny. 👵

We have these storm cells that come here sometimes in the summer. Sometimes they generate tornadoes. If one ever directly hit my house there probably wouldn't be much left.

Hair today, gone tomorrow.

A few heavy roof tiles cracked and a scratched storm awning where part of the Mango tree hit the house.

It was a CBS (Cement Brick Steel reinforced) house, built in the 1950s, before the developers bribed the commissioners to water down the building codes (to increase their profits).

We lived 26 feet above sea level, and inland about 1/2 mile from the ocean, so the storm surge wouldn't get is. Water is often a bigger problem than the wind.

The big problem with hurricanes are (1) building codes that are not sufficient to stand up to a cat 3 storm (2) too many northerners living on reclaimed swampland which will flood during a hurricane.

And the human factors. (1) not buying storm awnings, shutters, or panels and having to rely on plywood -- if you can get it at the last minute (2) not preparing the property for a storm.

I've been in a dozen hurricanes and have never been more than inconvenienced by them.

Of course that's no guarantee of the future. The Climate Crisis is breeding stronger than ever storms.

My current house is 32' above sea level and was built in 1950. I have storm awnings and panels, and will probably ride out the next one here too.

Insights and incites by Notes