​🗑️​Bapu's Random Thoughts For The Day

Bapu

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

My thought for the day.

Mac OS  is weird.

I agree.

Until recently, there wasn't 100% compatibility between Band-in-a-Box style for Windows and Mac so I had to own both.

I prefer Windows, it gives me more control over what goes on inside my computer, has more compatibility with other computers, and in the long run I find it a little easier to use.

Now that I can make styles on my WinPC and sell them to Mac people without actually owning a Mac, I no longer have one.

Unless there comes a piece of software that I need that only works on the Mac, I can't see myself switching.

Notes

• Thanks 1

I'm not switching. I bought a used MacBook Pro for a specific non-music-DAW related task. But for fun I've loaded Protools, UAD, Waves and Slate to "test" things. I'll eventually load Reaper, Studio One, Mixbus32C and Cubase for those (unlikely) times I'd need them for a collaboration.

11 hours ago, Bapu said:

I'm not switching. I bought a used MacBook Pro for a specific non-music-DAW related task. But for fun I've loaded Protools, UAD, Waves and Slate to "test" things. I'll eventually load Reaper, Studio One, Mixbus32C and Cubase for those (unlikely) times I'd need them for a collaboration.

The last Mac product I had was an iPad. I liked it OK but getting files from my PC to the iPad and back was a major PITA. With the Galaxy/Android I just use USBtoGo.

I've had Macs from the old Classic II using OS6 through some version of OSX (I love the marketing, making everybody say Oh Ess ***** instead of Oh Ess Ten). I sold the desktop Mac when Band-in-a-Box got to the point where I no longer needed it.

I have nothing against Apple except that they seem to go through great pains to keep you in their 'ecosystem' and not letting you talk to those Windows, Linux and Chrome people's computers.

But as far as the OS is concerned, some things are easier on Apple, some things are easier on Windows.

I let the software choose my OS. Since my 'moonlighting' job is writing aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box, and since the StyleMaker app for BiaB has many more features on the PC version of BiaB, it puts me firmly in the Windows camp. I can make styles that work better on all versions of BiaB if I make them on the Windows app.

On stage (gigging is my primary job) I use ThinkPad computers. They are built like tanks, flat black and without a glowing Apple logo for my audience to see. I'm just retiring one that I've been using on stage since 2002 and was built by IBM. 17 years of hard service is very good for a computer. It still works, the CMOS battery died, or so I thought. I replaced it and it still exhibits the problem. I have to manually enter the date before the computer finishes booting up. Well I can't have something on stage that isn't 100% so out it goes. I got my money's worth.

On the PC I still use Master Tracks Pro MIDI sequencer, even though it orphaned, Band-in-a-Box, Encore Notation, Power Tracks Pro Audio, and now Cakewalk. I have a bank of hardware synths and samplers that I've been adding to since the 1980s. The TX81z still has some nice FM melodic percussion sounds in it that the ROMplers and plug-ins have never duplicated (it also has some sounds that need to be forgotten). That's my oldest synth module.

I make a living doing music and nothing but music, so I'm a happy guy!

Insights and incites by Notes

39 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

The last Mac product I had was an iPad. I liked it OK but getting files from my PC to the iPad and back was a major PITA. With the Galaxy/Android I just use USBtoGo.

I've had Macs from the old Classic II using OS6 through some version of OSX (I love the marketing, making everybody say Oh Ess ***** instead of Oh Ess Ten). I sold the desktop Mac when Band-in-a-Box got to the point where I no longer needed it.

I have nothing against Apple except that they seem to go through great pains to keep you in their 'ecosystem' and not letting you talk to those Windows, Linux and Chrome people's computers.

But as far as the OS is concerned, some things are easier on Apple, some things are easier on Windows.

I let the software choose my OS. Since my 'moonlighting' job is writing aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box, and since the StyleMaker app for BiaB has many more features on the PC version of BiaB, it puts me firmly in the Windows camp. I can make styles that work better on all versions of BiaB if I make them on the Windows app.

On stage (gigging is my primary job) I use ThinkPad computers. They are built like tanks, flat black and without a glowing Apple logo for my audience to see. I'm just retiring one that I've been using on stage since 2002 and was built by IBM. 17 years of hard service is very good for a computer. It still works, the CMOS battery died, or so I thought. I replaced it and it still exhibits the problem. I have to manually enter the date before the computer finishes booting up. Well I can't have something on stage that isn't 100% so out it goes. I got my money's worth.

On the PC I still use Master Tracks Pro MIDI sequencer, even though it orphaned, Band-in-a-Box, Encore Notation, Power Tracks Pro Audio, and now Cakewalk. I have a bank of hardware synths and samplers that I've been adding to since the 1980s. The TX81z still has some nice FM melodic percussion sounds in it that the ROMplers and plug-ins have never duplicated (it also has some sounds that need to be forgotten). That's my oldest synth module.

I make a living doing music and nothing but music, so I'm a happy guy!

Insights and incites by Notes

The fact that I haven't touched a Mac in probably 20 years is proof I never needed one to do what I do...........well ok, I did touch one a few times at Best Buy. Might have pushed a few buttons, but nothing happened. I swear it!

Edited by Starise