Staff View Problem

william nayeri

Hi
In the old versions of Sonar we had snap in the staff view (like in piano roll) and inserting notes was much easier. But in the last versions and in Cakewalk by band lab there is no snap and you should move the Now time to the location where you want the new note by pressing SHIFT+RIGHT ARROW or SHIFT+LEFT ARROW and…This is very difficult and every one I know doesn’t like it! Don’t you want to change that in Cakewalk by band lab to the old style or design a new way so that we can insert the notes easier?

William Nayeri

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

What is snap supposed to do in the staff view? I never use it, but when I just placed notes on a staff to test, they placed themselves based on the duration of the note I had selected. Does snap position the note to a snap value independent of the duration chosen?

image.png.f693f40b53c09ad9d597f1ecd5e31181.png

UPDATE: OK, I see.  Placement of notes works based on chosen duration; however, moving notes left or right is independent of either note duration or snap to settings.

NEW UPDATE (2020 Mar 24): Nope; snapping based on duration doesn't seem to work any more either.  Evidently when I did the above test I was relying on experience (eye-to-hand placement, not Cakewalk's snap placement). See discussion below.

Edited by User 905133
to add a new update

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2020 at 5:51 AM, User 905133 said:

What is snap supposed to do in the staff view? I never use it, but when I just placed notes on a staff to test, they placed themselves based on the duration of the note I had selected. Does snap position the note to a snap value independent of the duration chosen?

image.png.f693f40b53c09ad9d597f1ecd5e31181.png

UPDATE: OK, I see.  Placement of notes works based on chosen duration; however, moving notes left or right is independent of either note duration or snap to settings.

Unfortunately it's not like that: Placement of notes does NOT work based on chosen duration. The lack of snap is an important problem. PLEASE fix it.

4 hours ago, wnayeri said:

Unfortunately it's not like that: Placement of notes does NOT work based on chosen duration. The lack of snap is an important problem. PLEASE fix it.

I stand corrected. I was just lucky when I placed the notes. Thanks.

image.thumb.png.552ea3701ea03296a53b5373907e85df.png

All of these quarter notes were placed manually (one-by-one) and my eye was much better in placing them for some of the measures. Plus, placing larger duration notes by eyeballing them is much easier than smaller duration notes.

FOOTNOTES:

1. For a fuller discussion of some issues related to moving notes in staff view, see this thread (among others).
  2. I just retested my copy of Platinum Demo and both placement and movement of notes are broken.
  3. I also tested SONAR X3 and both placement and movement of notes seem to work.

Personally, if the functionality of the Tool Module that doesn't work for Staff View is needed for features added after SONAR X3, I would not mind at all having the staff specific tools put back into the Staff View window.

Edited by User 905133
to add some footnotes related to staff view