Fade In/Out

Johnbee58

The easiest way is to use the smart tool to perform slip editing.

Click on the track pane to move focus to the track.

Move the cursor to the top corner of a clip.  The cursor changes to a straight line with arrows.

Left click and drag and a fade line will be drawn.

Right click on the fade line to choose from a selection of fade types.

Note: see pages 361 & 362 of the Cakewalk Reference Manual pdf file.  That's where the photo was copied from.

The reference manual is available for download by selecting the fourth link under the "Cakewalk by BandLab" tab at the top, left of each forum webpage.  It's a great resource.  :)

I love how easy Audacity makes trimming a track.  Cakewalk's about as easy, you just got to get used to it.  One way is just like your doing, take one task you always perform in Audacity.  Learn how to perform the same task in Cakewalk.  Perform the task in Cakewalk until it's second nature.

Clipboard22

Edited by Jim Fogle

Just now, noynekker said:

I've always done this by simply adding a volume automation on the master bus . . .

Me too.  And sometimes I want different instruments to fade out at different rates, so I put volume envelopes on several buses.

3 hours ago, noynekker said:

I've always done this by simply adding a volume automation on the master bus . . . then  you can choose linear, fast curve or slow curve options.

I don't see any other way if the purpose really is fading the 'whole song' as requested by the OP.

I use clip fades in lots of places.

For example, around tom hits I'll fade out the tom Mic.

Before i export a track, i always bounce to track, set the output for that new track direct to interface. If necessary, i can apply clip fades to this bounce. I can also detect unused head room and either reduce compression or raise the gain and rebounce. 

Then if i return to the track later to make changes, i can a/b the new and old versions using exclusive solo.

I avoid bus automation unless it is required.

• Like 1

Thanks all!😀

I've always wondered about the Master Buss fader.  That would seem like the most logical way to do this but it doesn't produce a track, so there's no line to manipulate.  Am I doing this right?  Is there supposed to be a line?

😀JB

Edited by Johnbee58

1 hour ago, martsave martin s said:

John here is another way to do it(that's what im doing)

Thanks for the video.  I know this can be done.  It's kind of like what I'm doing with Audacity except using Cakewalk instead. 🙂

I did try enabling Automation Write on the Master Buss and tried bring the fader down manually, and it did work.  I'm just wondering why it didn't create an envelope like it does on the other audio tracks.  Sometimes when I use track volume automation I like to go into the track and fine tune the volume at different places (ride the fader) making edits in the envelope.  Is there a way to do that with the Master Buss?

JB

(The following is excerpted rom page 377 in The Huge Book of Cakewalk by BandLab Tips. It describes how to do an S-shape fadeout, which unfortunately is a shape Cakewalk doesn't offer. It's common in video editors, and produces a great fadeout effect.)

When you want to fade out a song using master bus automaton, you can either take the time
to place nodes exactly where you want them, or save time by using this tip. I’ve been using this
technique on all songs requiring a fade for the last couple months, and it works every time.

25nuAKE.png

Here’s the step-by-step:

1. Open the volume automation envelope on your master bus.
2. Add a node where you want the song to start fading.
3. Add another node where you want the song to have faded out, and drag this node down to
zero volume.
4. Add a third node equidistant between the fadeout start and end nodes.
5. Right-click on the envelope between the fadeout start and midpoint, and then choose Slow
Curve.
6. Right-click on the envelope between the midpoint and fadeout end, and then choose Fast
Curve.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 2