A few bugs in Cakewalk by Bandlab

Jonathan Schnitzspan

Hello everybody, I hope this is the right place to report bugs and issues. If not, do let me know where to place these in the future.

1. Volume Fader Automation is not being read.

Sometimes it happens with either, a track or bus, that the volume automation is not being applied even though "read" is enabled. When I click from one point on the time line with one value to another point in the timeline with another value, then the change is being applied. But when in play back, the automation is not being applied. It´s not always the case, but it does happen from time to time.

2. Automation write stops working.

This happened to me just recently in a project and even restarting the pc didn´t fix it. Writing automation completely stopped working. Nothing can be written anymore, which is really annoying when you want to automate a specific parameter in a plugin, and you have to go look for that one parameter in the automation lane.

3. Plugins are being reset to default and freeze.

With some plugins it happens that they are being reset to their default settings when I click to a previous point in the timeline. So far it happened with any Mercuriall plugin, TDR Nova, NI Replika and Ozone 8 Elements. When they are reset it can also happen that they kind of freeze, so that nothing actually changes when you try to dial it back in. Then I need to remove the pluging from the track and reload it. Weirdly enough, it doesn´t happen when automation read is fully enabled on the track. And it doesn´t happen with all third party plugins.

4. Sluggish behaviour.

When pressing play or stopping playback Cakewalk freezes for a second. Also putting the master output channel to mono takes a second or two. I think it´s pretty noticeable in the workflow. Would be great if things like these were more instantaneous.

5. Setting defaults for exporting.

It would be great if you could set up new default settings for exporting. For example when exporting to mp3, the default is 128kbps, which is pretty useless nowadays imo. Setting it to 320kbps with maximum render quality by default would be great.

6. When duplicating a track, the volume is not being copied over. It would also be great if the color and name of the track were also copied over.

It would be great if you listed version and build, system specs and any info that could help to repro your issues. Not seeing those here. For example, track duplication copies over color, name and volume.

Edited by JoseC
  • Like 1

About the track duplication, yeah, I just noticed it does do it now. I just recently updated Cakewalk and it didn´t do it before. My bad.

Cakewalk Version: 2019.09 (Build 70, 64 bit)

CPU: Intel i5 9600k

Motherboard: MSI Z390-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill 16Gb, DDR4, 2666MHz

Cakewalk is installed on an SSD, while all the project files are recorded to a harddrive.

On 10/20/2019 at 10:06 AM, Jonathan Schnitzspan said:

Hello everybody, I hope this is the right place to report bugs and issues. If not, do let me know where to place these in the future.

1. Volume Fader Automation is not being read.

Sometimes it happens with either, a track or bus, that the volume automation is not being applied even though "read" is enabled. When I click from one point on the time line with one value to another point in the timeline with another value, then the change is being applied. But when in play back, the automation is not being applied. It´s not always the case, but it does happen from time to time.

2. Automation write stops working.

This happened to me just recently in a project and even restarting the pc didn´t fix it. Writing automation completely stopped working. Nothing can be written anymore, which is really annoying when you want to automate a specific parameter in a plugin, and you have to go look for that one parameter in the automation lane.

3. Plugins are being reset to default and freeze.

With some plugins it happens that they are being reset to their default settings when I click to a previous point in the timeline. So far it happened with any Mercuriall plugin, TDR Nova, NI Replika and Ozone 8 Elements. When they are reset it can also happen that they kind of freeze, so that nothing actually changes when you try to dial it back in. Then I need to remove the pluging from the track and reload it. Weirdly enough, it doesn´t happen when automation read is fully enabled on the track. And it doesn´t happen with all third party plugins.

4. Sluggish behaviour.

When pressing play or stopping playback Cakewalk freezes for a second. Also putting the master output channel to mono takes a second or two. I think it´s pretty noticeable in the workflow. Would be great if things like these were more instantaneous.

5. Setting defaults for exporting.

It would be great if you could set up new default settings for exporting. For example when exporting to mp3, the default is 128kbps, which is pretty useless nowadays imo. Setting it to 320kbps with maximum render quality by default would be great.

6. When duplicating a track, the volume is not being copied over. It would also be great if the color and name of the track were also copied over.

Is the 3° issue still persisting on CbB 2019.09? I think that bug was addressed in the new release.

The rest are excellent ideas, if would be great if you submit your requests directly to Bandlab by the CbB help center.