How to record DJ controller with Sonar? Ever do it?

bobernaut

Hello all, thanks for reading...

My question might be really easy but I don't know myself, so here goes...

I was wondering if it is possible to hook up some kind of DJ controller with Sonar in order to record just as you might a guitar or vocal and if so, what all is involved to do so? Is it a matter of just going through your interface? Has anyone here done this and if so could you please explain what needs to be done.

Thanks

bob

If the DJ controller generates a signal, then it can be recorded by Sonar - assuming you have the audio interface configured to do so. 

It's more a function of what your audio interface can use as signal at its input.  It would not even care what DAW you use - as long as it can process whatever your audio interface card is receiving.

In my case, what I do is I feed the AUX 1 and 2 out signal of my Soundcraft EMP12 mixer into the line in of a Focusrite 2i2.  This let's me record directly into a Cakewalk by Bandlab audio track.  It's not really that involved.  Just be careful to get your levels right without any clipping.

Thanks for your response, I guess I was lucky to even get one. Looks like you and me are the only ones who do this ( I will soon). BTW, would you happen to recommend any on the cheaper end which will still let me do some scratching? Or, do you have to spend a certain amount of bread to get results? I'm not trying to be a pro DJ-just trying to mess around a bit and maybe lay some down on a track or two.

Thanks,

bob