Latest Focusrite Drivers?

Rod L. Short

I have a 1st gen 18i8. I usually install the latest driver listed on My Hardware Focusrite page and don't have any significant problems. I have the latest version 4.63.24 installed and seems to have fixed the bug with changing buffer size while CbB is open. Both the latest and the previous version work fine and I found work arounds for adjusting buffer size in the previous version. I'm tickled and am impressed with the performance especially when compared with the original 1st gen drivers.

1 minute ago, Bill Phillips said:

I'm tickled and am impressed with the performance especially when compared with the original 1st gen drivers.

Is there really that much of a difference ?

I only ask because im still using drivers from 2016 with my Focusrite. The way I look at it is, if there isn't an issue, don't upgrade and I haven't had any issues using the older driver.

3 minutes ago, Chuck E Baby said:

I only ask because im still using drivers from 2016 with my Focusrite. The way I look at it is, if there isn't an issue, don't upgrade and I haven't had any issues using the older driver.

Well, the developers obviously found an issue.  These developers have the source code for the drivers and are privy to details about the driver in ways the end user could not even imagine.  When the developers release a new driver, its usually due to a very good reason - even if those reasons are invisible to the end user.   This is why I like to have the latest drivers - even if I'm not having any visible issues.

2 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

For me yes. No doubt.  I don't have numbers anymore. But I saw a huge performance improvement and latency drops when I switched from 1st gen drivers to 3rd gen drivers.

Speculating,  I have a pretty capable computer and a graphics card with capacity to handle the load generated by plugins that will use the graphic processor to reduce CPU load. I guess it's possible that not everyone would see the performance improvements I saw.  But I'm speculating.

Edited by Bill Phillips
clarification

27 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Appears so. I think the driver version I'm using is 4.36.5.612.

The driver version I'm have is 4.63.24.564 dated 27 July 2019.  This is for the Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen

If you log on to your Focusrite account, you'll be presented with the correct version applicable for your audio interface.

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

If you log on to your Focusrite account, you'll be presented with the correct version applicable for your audio interface.

Yeah, I did that. I'm offered the download for Focusrite Control 3.4.4. I'm sure that if I installed it, it would install the actual driver with the updated version number.

Sorry for the confusion. In my case, at least, I'm getting very good performance with the older driver and no incentive to update it, although I probably will at some point.

5 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Yeah, I did that. I'm offered the download for Focusrite Control 3.4.4. I'm sure that if I installed it, it would install the actual driver with the updated version number.

Sorry for the confusion. In my case, at least, I'm getting very good performance with the older driver and no incentive to update it, although I probably will at some point.

The driver is included in the software .exe file. In other words you install the control and the driver gets installed. 

shame they don’t make the driver available separately.........

on my system i stll get BSOD’s with the new drivers, i had to roll back. L’ve had a ticket open with them for a few months, but they seem to be ignoring it. One of the Bakers chimed in on a previous post saying they also had reported a problem.

i guess we live in hope ....

Jerry

4 hours ago, petemus said:

The driver IS available separately (if I'm not completely wrong here):

https://customer.focusrite.com/support/downloads?brand=Focusrite&product_by_type=431&download_type=all

Open the Software container, and there it is, for you to download...

-Pete

At least for me, this is not the case. Just Focusrite Control, for either Mac or Win.

59 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

At least for me, this is not the case. Just Focusrite Control, for either Mac or Win.

Hmm, strange. It might be that I wasn't logged in to my account, when I checked it, so it didn't know what I own and showed me everything. 😊

14 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Available drivers vary based on your hardware & firmware. In the notes for the 4.63.24.564 driver I think it listed the 1st & 2nd gen devices that can use it.

If I am remembering correctly, they used to offer the latest driver and one or two previous drivers. All I see now is just the latest driver in PC an Mac versions. That being the case, how would we even be able to roll back to the previous driver if we experience problems with the latest one?

7 minutes ago, Rod L. Short said:

If I am remembering correctly, they used to offer the latest driver and one or two previous drivers. All I see now is just the latest driver in PC an Mac versions. That being the case, how would we even be able to roll back to the previous driver if we experience problems with the latest one?

Keep a copy of the older drivers.  They might even still be in your downloads folder if you have not cleared that. 

Mind you, I delete the older versions once I am happy with the updated version.  I do agree, they should list older versions on their site.

15 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

This is what happens if I check for drivers for my registered Scarlett 2i2 when logged in to Focusrite's site, only Focusrite Control:

image.png.679cacc78b0ef6c14b499eae8fc0403e.png

The link I provided shows the driver only download, and seems to go to a different page. I guess the latest Focusrite Control already includes the said driver version 4.63.24.564. The link also shows the download possibility to download a suitable driver for 1st Gen Scarletts:

image.thumb.png.2fd540c00f1293a3b2a33122aa8188fc.png

On 10/22/2019 at 3:19 AM, petemus said:

The driver IS available separately (if I'm not completely wrong here):

https://customer.focusrite.com/support/downloads?brand=Focusrite&product_by_type=431&download_type=all

Open the Software container, and there it is, for you to download...

-Pete

I see what you're saying, now, Pete. Thanks for persisting 🙂

• Thanks 1