Audio FX Chains [ SOLVED :-) ]

User 905133

Before this week, I had never used pre-created audio fx chains; years ago I tested a few that I created but never integrated them into my workflow. I have started to explore them more--when inserted into the ProChannel and when used in track fx bins--so I can better understand and make effective and efficient use of them.

So far I have tried a number of fx chains in via ProChannel and have been very impressed in (1) what they do and (2) how easy it was to use them. Also, it was great to see that  feedback is given for chains that referenced (1) non-existing (on my PC and/or in my scan path) and (2) problematic plug-ins.

image.png.e1ecad4038c3655db9b9940e4acd4d40.png  image.png.e7b129e6b787f6eb3e41442c77ed9313.pngimage.png.aa85d3f4ff86472e2d86297b96f3fbfa.png

Edited by User 905133

Update:

Guitar Rig 4 does not trigger the Missing Plug-in placeholder dialog box. Thank's to scook's very handy VST Inventory program, I located Guitar Rig 4 and 5 (3 was already scanned and registered) and copied the dlls to an existing folder in a scan path. That was followed by a manual plug-in scan (w/o a reset). FX chains referencing Guitar Rig 4 worked. I still need to find my activation codes and do proper installations though, to get them out of demo mode (if I want that).

The Boost 11 was already in a scan path. However, after running one fx chain and getting the same error as posted above, I ran a different chain and to my surprise Boost 11 showed up (not the Locate VST dialog box). After that, I inserted the first chain I had tried and that too worked. 

I remain impressed by the work that went into developing the pre-created FX chains, though most of them are not ones I anticipate using. Based on my recollection of creating chains, having ready-made chains is wonderful--just drag and drop (preferably after the previous chain has stopped sounding!) test, and move on to another one.

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

• User 905133 changed the title to Audio FX Chains [ SOLVED :-) ]

Those threads, and the explanation I've given, are correct.

About 85-90% of the FX Chains distributed with CbB reference SONAR Bundled Plugins or Z3TA+ which aren't distributed with the Core Cakewalk by BandLab distribution.

They seem to be kept for those people who are upgraded off of SONAR distributions that included these plugins.

To alleviate confusion, go through the plugins one-by-one and just delete the FX Chain presets (there is a folder with them) that reference missing plugins.  Without the reference plugins, they aren't of much use, since it is very hard to replace the plugins if you don't have a reference installation with the original plugins included.

What makes this more confusing is that the FX Chain will load, and the project will play, as if everything is okay.  You don't realize the FX Chain is broken until you either open it and see the (Missing Plugin) or try to open that plugin to adjust parameters.

ALso, it's hard to build many FX Chains from the included plugins, because they don't ship much beyond basic plugins with the DAW (Sonitus:FX, 2 Channel Strips, a Tube Leveler, a Limiter and some ProChannel Modules).  SONAR Platinum would have shipped with like 25+ Plugins (or so).

Edited by Some Guy
  • Thanks 2