TH-U Rigs on Sale "Last Call"

Grem

12 minutes ago, Zo said:

trying it as i type , it ask me to create an account ..and in this account the ask a lot of stuff including cel phone ect ...wtf *%?,  just for a demo !!

Zo, you can always use my phone number 6666666666666 ;)

35 minutes ago, Grem said:

You would have to talk to someone who has a "Profiling" amp to really get the idea of it. 

But from what I have gathered a amp such as Kemper takes a pic of you rig from start to finish and gives you that exact sound. If it's an impulse file Idk. But a guy like @Jim Roseberry has that kind of amp and swears by it. Maybe he will come in and give some info from a user.

From my understanding a Kemper Snapshot is a profile taken of a rig with its current settings.
It does this by analyzing different tones at different volumes.
@Jim Roseberry made a comment in another thread that increasing the gain when using a snapshot does not have the same effect as raising the gain on an amp and can crap up the tone.

As far as an 'exact' sound - only for the settings used for the capture.
If you have a capture with amp volume set at 3 and another on 10 - you won't get the exact sound of the amp volume set at 6 by raising the 3 capture or lowing the 10 capture.  May or may not be using the correct terms but hopefully communicating the concept.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Zo said:

Lol is it a free plugin or a limited demo ? Free plugin i might understand , a demo , they can kiss my .. hate that type of stuff ...

It is not free. To own plugin you need to own at least 1 cab (8,2 EUR)

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

As far as an 'exact' sound - only for the settings used for the capture.
If you have a capture with amp volume set at 3 and another on 10 - you won't get the exact sound of the amp volume set at 6 by raising the 3 capture or lowing the 10 capture.  May or may not be using the correct terms but hopefully communicating the concept.

Yup, but still you can change character of the tone. For instance crunching it, it is not sound the actual amp anymore but it doesn't mean it could not be interesting. Am I wrong? :)

• Thanks 1

Yes Steven, that's what I have heard about the profiling amps. You can get an exact sound, but when you try to adjust the tone, you loose the original "pic". 

And like Piotr says, that still maybe a desired sound

On 10/19/2019 at 6:01 PM, Grem said:

You would have to talk to someone who has a "Profiling" amp to really get the idea of it. 

But from what I have gathered a amp such as Kemper takes a pic of you rig from start to finish and gives you that exact sound. If it's an impulse file Idk. But a guy like @Jim Roseberry has that kind of amp and swears by it. Maybe he will come in and give some info from a user.

True Profiling is much more involved than simple "tone matching" which is using FFT filter to match frequency response.

In the case of the Kemper Profiling Amp, it runs a series of different "test tones" thru a fully mic'd guitar amp/cab... which it uses to learn the distortion characteristics, dynamic response, etc.  Kemper excels at capturing preamp based distortion.  Where it can fall short is capturing power-amp distortion.

I've been fortunate (or crazy 🤪) to own all the top modelers (have compared many side-by-side.

The Kemper, Axe-FX III, Helix, HeadRush, and GT-1000 are all capable of good to great sounds.

Even the tiny Hotone Ampero is capable of pretty good sounds (reverb is its weaker spot).

I had settled on using the Axe-FX III.

Went to the local GC to check-out a used JEM... and played it thru a PRS Archon and 4x12 Blackstar Gus G cab (oversized 4x12 with v30 speakers).

Didn't end up getting the guitar (although it was a fine instrument).  😁

I'd owned an Archon before... and it's a fantastic amp (pristine cleans and distortion that sounds good from light to heavy).

As good as current modeling technology is (and it's fantastic), there's still something more happening with a real tube-amp and cab.

I'm currently going down the rabbit-hole (Archon, Marshall JCM-800, and Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue)... using them with a real 2x12 and the Boss Waza Tube Amp Expander.  

The Tube Amp Expander (T.A.E.) is a great option for those who have tube-amps and would like a more convenient way to record them.

The T.A.E. has a 16-position reactive load (can be tailored to the specific amp/cab), attenuation, a built-in 100w SS power-amp, Cab sim (including loading custom IRs), and Compression/EQ/Delay/Reverb from the GT-1000.

The T.A.E. is somewhat like the UA Ox... but (IMO) more flexible.

Also picked up some drive pedals to checkout with the amps (including an Origin Effects "Revival Drive Custom").

Wife thinks I've gone crazy... (heavy antiquated gear)

Maybe I've just turned into a nostalgic old man.

All I know is that I'm having fun... and enjoying the process.

An advanced modeler is a much more practical choice for many folks.

I'd liken the scenario to playing a great sampled-piano vs playing a real grand piano in a great sounding room.

Either will get the job done. 

The first is much more practical for most... the second is the benchmark.

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Also picked up some drive pedals to checkout with the amps (including an Origin Effects "Revival Drive Custom").

Don't know if you've tried the Mesa Pedals, the Tone Burst, Grid Slammer, or Flux Drive. All three sound really good and are responsive. I also have  Keeley older 4 knob comp that I really like.

I went many years without using any pedals at all, and when I did use them it was only a few. (only a Ibanez Flange and Analog Delay). However, today I got pedals out the wazoo!!  That's another rabbit hole!!

Edited by Grem
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Grem said:

I went many years without using any pedals at all, and when I did use them it was only a few. (only a Ibanez Flange and Analog Delay). However, today I got pedals out the wazoo!!  That's another rabbit hole!!

Haven't tried the Mesa pedals.  I'll check those out.

I'm not bonding (yet) with the Revival Drive.  I'm somewhat surprised by that.

Also not caring much for the EP Booster and OCD.

Like the Keeley Katana Mini (for clean boost).

Like the (plain old) Tube Screamer in front of the JCM800 (makes things a little more "crunchy")

Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue is going back.  Something in the back of the chassis is resonating (almost sounds like a phone ring at times).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue is going back.  Something in the back of the chassis is resonating (almost sounds like a phone ring at times).

On my old Boogie Mk IIB I had something in it making a whining sound that I couldn't figure out. Went for days trying this and that. I was about to bring it back and I happened to just touch the fan and when I did it stopped!! I had to put a thin shim in between the fan and chassis to get it to stop. Never made the sound again and it's been 30+yrs!!

• Like 1

I opened the Fender to see if anything was loose (no fan in this chassis).

I tightened all screws.

I'm guessing it's the metal cage around the 6L6 power tubes (as the resonance sounds metallic).

BTW, the Revival Drive sounds great when run directly into the Effects-Return (straight into the power-amp).

Nice "Plexi" type sound/feel.  Wish there was just a smidge more gain on tap.

Running a boost pedal in front of it works ok.  Haven't settled on that yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Blues Deluxe has been around long enough for a "reissue"? Seriously? (this is the one with "bad drive" and "more bad drive"; right?)
Jim please stop! Talk about the "rabbit hole", now I need a TAE; you're killin' me here, killin me...

🤔

I did look at the Neve Shelford, Yikes! I am kind of drooling for a 517 though, got a 20% offer from Guitar Center; I gotta quit...

please help me!

@DeeringAmps

The shelford is interesting. I spent a lot of time looking then didn't get it. Next time. I did learn somethings by studying how it works.

I own thu but I'm buying none of these add ons. 

I've been playing my fender amp with a rock crusher (attenuator) and really enjoying myself. I like some noise in the room and i do non traditional stuff with my Roland gr20 that sounds great through my amp.

Thu is cool when i use it. I sometimes use it with a reamp box and my fcb1010 so i can use all the virtual pedals with my real amp.

Mostly, i don't use thu.

Edited by Gswitz