VSL Epic Orchestra

cclarry

On 10/19/2019 at 9:41 PM, Ashay Arekar said:

This or Miroslav Philharmonik?

This comes as a  freebie with VI Pro 7 and now they are selling it for the first time on its own.

It's not an Orchestral VI that is comprehensive enough to use on its own.  It has things that many libraries don't, like  Oboe d'Amore, Cornet, Fanfare Trumpets, etc.  But for example, the Woodwinds are mapped out as one preset with the instruments spread out over the keyboard.  The sounds are beautiful, but I think that this is meant as a supplement to your existing libraries as well as an ad for how good VSL instruments are.   Also, if you don't have Cubase, you need to buy a dongle for this.  But then you can download their free Big Bang Orchestra.

Miroslav has everything you need, but it is a very old library.  There's a lot of libraries available today that will make your music sound much better, and are easier to use.  Many great choices, it's just a question of how much you're willing to spend.  But Black Friday sales are coming up soon.

Edited by Tiger The Frog
  • Thanks 1

Miroslav's control features are ancient and/or kind of odd, and aside from a few select instruments, I barely use it at all. I have much better stuff in my collection.

I got Epic Orchestra when I bought VI Pro 7 (as a Cubase user I already had a dongle), and it's great sounding, etc, but it is not a full orchestra by any means. And while there is a really nice selection of stuff, I suspect Tiger is correct and its primarily a showcase for VSL's sampling and programming skills.  I do use it -- the cornet, oboe d'amore, etc, are in my current template -- but it is not a main library by any means. 

Both Miroslav or Epic Orchestra are essentially products that fill in the gaps of an already solid library collection, and Epic Orchestra sounds much better than Miroslav, and uses much more updated program and design. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tiger The Frog said:

This comes as a  freebie with VI Pro 7 and now they are selling it for the first time on its own.

It's not an Orchestral VI that is comprehensive enough to use on its own.  It has things that many libraries don't, like  Oboe d'Amore, Cornet, Fanfare Trumpets, etc.  But for example, the Woodwinds are mapped out as one preset with the instruments spread out over the keyboard.  The sounds are beautiful, but I think that this is meant as a supplement to your existing libraries as well as an ad for how good VSL instruments are.   Also, if you don't have Cubase, you need to buy a dongle for this.  But then you can download their free Big Bang Orchestra.

Miroslav has everything you need, but it is a very old library.  There's a lot of libraries available today that will make your music sound much better, and are easier to use.  Many great choices, it's just a question of how much you're willing to spend.  But Black Friday sales are coming up soon.

So, it's a very old library, but how does it compare with Spitfire or Heavyocity stuff?

18 hours ago, Robert Caley said:

Miroslav's control features are ancient and/or kind of odd, and aside from a few select instruments, I barely use it at all. I have much better stuff in my collection.

I got Epic Orchestra when I bought VI Pro 7 (as a Cubase user I already had a dongle), and it's great sounding, etc, but it is not a full orchestra by any means. And while there is a really nice selection of stuff, I suspect Tiger is correct and its primarily a showcase for VSL's sampling and programming skills.  I do use it -- the cornet, oboe d'amore, etc, are in my current template -- but it is not a main library by any means. 

Both Miroslav or Epic Orchestra are essentially products that fill in the gaps of an already solid library collection, and Epic Orchestra sounds much better than Miroslav, and uses much more updated program and design. 

Although mostly I'm using it for my rock/metal tracks which doesn't require very deep articulations, unless it is symphonic metal, I want to learn scoring and create purely orchestral numbers in the near future. 

So should I wait for BF for a better library at a discount or would Miroslav be good enough for my requirement. 

On 10/22/2019 at 9:44 AM, Ashay Arekar said:

So, it's a very old library, but how does it compare with Spitfire or Heavyocity stuff?

Although mostly I'm using it for my rock/metal tracks which doesn't require very deep articulations, unless it is symphonic metal, I want to learn scoring and create purely orchestral numbers in the near future. 

So should I wait for BF for a better library at a discount or would Miroslav be good enough for my requirement. 

VSL Epic Orchestra 2.0 is relatively new and came out earlier this year.  It is a major update to an old library.  It is 73 GBs, ten times the size of the old one.

If you want to start up with orchestral, I'd take a look into Spitfire's Albion ONE, Audio Imperia's Nucleus, Orchestral Tools' Inspire 1 and 2,  ProjectSAM's Symphobia Series, and Sonic Score's  Amadeus Symphonic Orchestra.

Edited by Tiger The Frog