Proposal: Update the built-in Sonitus:fx plugin package from Cakewalk

Ne0W0r1d新界

Hello, I am a student from China, music producer and CbB user.

I think Cakewalk's built-in effects (Sonitus: fx Suite) UI is very classic, but for some young music producers, this design seems a bit old.

Because some of my friends use Cubase, Ableton, FL and Studio One native effects plug-ins, I also tried to get started with these hosts, I feel that these host plug-in interfaces are not so awkward.

So I want to suggest to the CbB development team to upgrade the Sonitus plugin suite for CbB. Of course, it’s also a good idea to have new effects to coexist with Sonitus.

(Translate From Google Translate)

• Like 3

The Sonitus FX are DXI. Not VST. They are almost as old as the dinosaur itself. Released first in Sonar 4 in/around 2001.  The developer isn't even making these plug ins anymore. Cakewalk purchased a license to bundle them in the software. The first time I used them was in Pro audio (Windows 98 I believe).

With all that said, I love these plug ins. The delay is one of my favorites, as is the gate and compressor. They have been one of my "go to" tools for many years.

However, I think its unreasonable to wish for these plug ins to receive a facelift or upgrade of any kind. I don't think Cakewalk has a legal means to do so. All we can do for now is enjoy them the way they are. I still use them now.

There was a time sonitus plugs were sold by cakewalk as VST but they were 32bit only. 

I'm maybe old fashioned but I like the gui (maybe cos sonitus were my main plugins for years). Before pro channel came along you used to double click the eq section of mixer pane and sonitus eq would jump up. Have we really advanced or just prettier now 😂

Edited by backwoods
  • Like 1

Cakewalk already went through a MASSIVE - actually a complete user interface redesign, beginning when they transitioned from Sonar 8.5.3 to Sonar X1, eventually ending up at Sonar Platinum, and that became Cakewalk by Bandlab, and has been FANTASTIC with continued availability and continued development, both with new features and with monthly maintenance.  Not to mention (but I am), that it is now completely free of charge.

If you seek free effects, there are literally hundreds, of not thousands of them available, for just about everything you would need or want to do.

If you want something more 'pro-grade', there are also hundreds of commercial effects and utilities available.

The Pro Channel is extremely well crafted, as well, and is there right now.  Just invest some time into learning how to use what it brings, and you will be off and running.

Bob Bone

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 2

2 hours ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

You should sign up to the Waves newsletter for any deals they have going if you're looking for pro-effects plugins, they even have a small catalog of decent VSTis. Those plugins often go on sale for a deep discount.

I Think You Are Right

Edited by 7Rabbit

11 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

Cakewalk already went through a MASSIVE - actually a complete user interface redesign, beginning when they transitioned from Sonar 8.5.3 to Sonar X1, eventually ending up at Sonar Platinum, and that became Cakewalk by Bandlab, and has been FANTASTIC with continued availability and continued development, both with new features and with monthly maintenance.  Not to mention (but I am), that it is now completely free of charge.

If you seek free effects, there are literally hundreds, of not thousands of them available, for just about everything you would need or want to do.

If you want something more 'pro-grade', there are also hundreds of commercial effects and utilities available.

The Pro Channel is extremely well crafted, as well, and is there right now.  Just invest some time into learning how to use what it brings, and you will be off and running.

Bob Bone

Emmmmm, I am a user of Fabfilter users and Image-Line effects plugins. These effects feel that the UI is comfortable (even if Image-Line plugin effects have not been updated for a long time), but I think BandLab can develop VSTi effects plugins. Come embedded in SONAR

10 hours ago, 7Rabbit said:

Emmmmm, I am a user of Fabfilter users and Image-Line effects plugins. These effects feel that the UI is comfortable (even if Image-Line plugin effects have not been updated for a long time), but I think BandLab can develop VSTi effects plugins. Come embedded in SONAR

That some 3rd-party effects came with prior versions of Sonar were part of a bundled deal that the Cakewalk company made - and they paid the 3rd-party companies out of part of the retail cost we all paid for Sonar.  Those deals are no longer valid, and because Cakewalk by Bandlab is FREE, they have no means of getting into a similar situation at this point. 

We DO have the Pro Channel, which has outstanding components, and there are all kinds of freeware audio effects, and synths, available to anyone who takes the time to look into them.  Some of these are really really good.  Some are 'lite' versions of more pro-grade effects, that the companies hope you will like, and then go on to purchase an upgrade to the full versions.  Others are just incredibly out there for the asking - Bluecat, Melda Production, Voxengo,  GVST, to name a few.  (Melda Production alone offers something like 33 different FREE effects and tools).

I am quite happy that Cakewalk by Bandlab is completely free to use, AND being further developed and maintained.  With so many freeware and commercial effects and synths out there, I will gladly work within the environment Cakewalk currently operates in.

Bob Bone

On 2019/10/22 at AM7点21分, Robert Bone said:

早期版本的Sonar附带了一些第三方的效果,这是Cakewalk公司所做的捆绑交易的一部分-他们向第三方公司支付了全部我们为Sonar支付的零售费用中的一部分。这些交易不再有效,并且由于Bandlab的Cakewalk是免费的,因此他们目前无法陷入类似情况。 

我们确实拥有Pro Channel,它具有出色的组件,并且有各种免费的音频效果和合成器可供花时间研究它们的任何人使用。其中一些真的非常好。某些公司希望您会喜欢它们,以提供更专业的效果的“精简版”,然后继续购买完整版的升级。其他人简直令人难以置信,例如Bluecat,Melda Production,Voxengo,GVST等。(仅“ Melda Production”提供了33种不同的免费效果和工具)。

我很高兴Bandlab提供的Cakewalk完全免费使用,并且可以进一步开发和维护。有了这么多的免费软件和商业效果以及合成器,我将很高兴在Cakewalk当前所处的环境中工作。

鲍勃·伯恩

Thanks Reply~

Here are over 60 free  3rd party, modern,  64-bit VST plugins. Select the ones that you like and combine them with the excellent bundled Cakewalk Pro Channel, and you should be off to a good start!

Melda free FX bundle (34 free VST plugins): https://www.meldaproduction.com/MFreeFXBundle

Blue Cat's Freeware Plug-ins Pack II (7 free VST plugins): https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Bundle_FreewarePack/

Voxengo free plugins (15 free VST plugins): https://www.voxengo.com/group/free-vst-plugin-download/

Tokyo Dawn Labs (4 free VST plugins): https://www.tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs/

Klanghelm (3 free VST plugins, including MJUC jr, variable-tube compressor): https://klanghelm.com/contents/main.php

• Like 2