Stuck note

LNovik@aol.com

Hi,

I am playing a song with guitar, drums and bass. I’m using Cakewalk by BL. Though I have sometimes had the following problem, it is now occurring with more frequency. There is a pre=programed guitar chord track. When I would assign this track to my Korg Triton, I would occasionally get a “sticking” of the sound, as I describe it. Basically, the sound would stick on 1 note and keep sounding====until I switch programs on the synth. (actually, I don’t even think it would go away when I switched programs---I had to toggle back to Combo mode to get rid of the sound. )When I then switched back to the guitar sound program, the “stuck” sound would be gone. It would then recur every 3-10 minutes. I have since assigned that MIDI track to another synth, this time a Roland Integra. I did not hear any stuck notes for the first day or 2, but now it occurs faithfully within about 7 seconds of starting the song. I use a MIDIMAN 4x4 as my Midi interface.

Any ideas and/or solutions?

Thanks.

LNovik

Is it always the same note? Are there any other controller functions going on in that track? Graphically it "should" show in most cases, but there are situations where it may not. The event viewer would be the best place to search, especially for a note ON missing the associated note OFF.

Quick edit, if that is a downloaded track, the event viewer would also be the place to strip off non-note events that may causes issues.

Edited by mettelus

Re the first reply, by Bristol, I'm sure I have 1 note  running into another. I'm playing "Sunshine of your love," by Cream. He puts a lot of notes in there, along with numerous bends. I should add that the sticking occurs both when my prerecorded track of chords is playing, AND also (though not at the same time) when I am playing the solo guitar lead thru a different synth. I can say that I've noticed on the prerecorded chord track, it seems to occur consistently early in the track. So, to Mettelus's point, it might always be on the same note. I'll see if I can find out exactly where it occurs, and look in this event viewer. I must say I don't spend much time in "event viewing," though I've seen it. I'll see if I can navigate around there. As suggested, I'll see if there is a note ON that's not associated with a note OFF.

Thanks for the suggestions.

LNovik

Three tips to help avoid problems with dropped/stuck MIDI notes:

- Insert soft synths in the Synth Rack rather than in audio track FX bins

- Increase the 'Prepare Using' buffer value to the old default of 500ms under Preferences > MIDI > Playback and Recording; the newer default of 250ms is too low in a lot of cases, especially if the project includes PDC-inducing plugins.

- Make sure MIDI track inputs are assigned to a specific port and channel, and not All Inputs - Omni.

Some MIDI FX plugins can also cause problems like this.

• Like 1