PC Monitor recommendations? 35" or over?

Skyline_UK

My monitor is 27" and I want to go up to a larger one.  I've Googled, but there seem so many with different models and technical attributes I don't fathom.  I don't want a curved screen, but what about resolution?  What other things should I avoid/looking for?  All advice very welcome!

I would say 32", but 27" is pretty large already, so maybe 40" is a better bet.

I've been seriously thinking about using a 32" or 40" TV for DAW work as it doesn't need the high refresh rates gamers require from a monitor.

If you've got a TV you can try it out on, that might be the way to go... that's assuming of course that you're happy sticking with 1080P, although there are 4K TV's.

If there's a small independent TV shop local to you, they might let you bring a laptop along to try them out.

• Like 1

One thing to remember is the resolution of the screen. If it is an HD screen (1920 x 1080), it doesn't matter if it is 18-inches or 60-inches, it is still 1920 pixels across and 1080 pixels vertical. The bigger the screen, the bigger the pixels. So you may find that the larger screen is actually harder to read when you are close to it. You also can't "fit" anymore stuff on the bigger screen than the smaller one, because you are still working with 1920 x 1080 pixels. If you instead move to 4K, you now have 4096 × 2160 pixels, or slightly more than double the number of pixels from HD (true doubling of HD would be 3840 x 2160, so you get a few more pixels to work with length wise). You could place four times as much 'stuff' on the screen when compared to HD.

• Like 1

It is cool to have more on the screen when making/editing music. But why not 2 screens in stead of one large? Main  for tracks, pro channel, settings. And  one other for the mixing desk, live levels and so on. Both in at 1440? 

I would get sore neck by working on so high screen as a 40" like sitting in front row in the cinema.

Edited by ØSkald
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 8:35 PM, Mandolin Picker said:

One thing to remember is the resolution of the screen. If it is an HD screen (1920 x 1080), it doesn't matter if it is 18-inches or 60-inches, it is still 1920 pixels across and 1080 pixels vertical. The bigger the screen, the bigger the pixels. So you may find that the larger screen is actually harder to read when you are close to it. You also can't "fit" anymore stuff on the bigger screen than the smaller one, because you are still working with 1920 x 1080 pixels. If you instead move to 4K, you now have 4096 × 2160 pixels, or slightly more than double the number of pixels from HD (true doubling of HD would be 3840 x 2160, so you get a few more pixels to work with length wise). You could place four times as much 'stuff' on the screen when compared to HD.

Thanks, I hadn't realised that.  Looks like 4k is the way to go.  

3 minutes ago, Skyline_UK said:

Thanks, I hadn't realised that.  Looks like 4k is the way to go.  

It might be, but bear in mind that a 40" 4K screen is like having four 20" 1080P monitors.

I'm using a 23" 1080P monitor at the moment, and I just get by with it. There's no way I could read a 20" 1080P monitor at the distance it is in my studio - which is basically what a 40" 4K screen would be like.

Even to match the "size" of what I have now would mean a 46" 4K monitor - which is huge.