Love is the Reason Why

RexRed

Hey Rex, first impression was “I love the sparse instrumentation”, but then it dawned on me you and the acoustic were not “alone”. Very nicely done. I would bring the single note lines up just a bit, just me. And that ringing note (open g I suspect) is just a bit loud. I am not a disciplined acoustic player, and that battle between the wound and plain strings drives me nuts, muting the low pretty easy, taming the high side; not my forte. Certainly not a “deal breaker” and I’m thinking that it’s kind of a pedal tone. I’m guessing you wrote this for someone special and it comes across as heartfelt. Please don’t take what might sound like negative comments too much to heart, the “technician” in me tends to over analyze, the “listener” in me was indeed very pleased. 

Tom

Rex , I thought the vocals were very intimate  and very well done.  I did feel the high guitar coming in at 1:12 sounded real dry compared to the main guitar track ,  and they didn't blend together as well as they could. Maybe a little less effect on the main and more on the fill guitar. It made it sound as if it were a little out of tune.  Very well written ,  as usual I enjoyed another one of your songs ..     mark

I sincerely thank you Tom and Mark very much for your suggestions on this song. This site has been a gold mine on help with my mixes and  I do listen to your suggestions and fix what I can per your advice.

This song has some difficult hurdles, I don't mind telling you all that I used a guitar loop that I purchased from audioblocks.com for the main core of this song.

I wrote and sang the lyrics/ melody, I chopped up the song loop and copied and pasted it respectively so it would fit my verse and chorus arrangement and I added a bass but that was pretty much it. So the subtle guitar lead is sort of glued into the mix with the guitar rhythm. I don't mind telling you all this because, it is not really my intention to take credit for parts of the song that I did not fully make even though my contract with audioblocks is royalty free.

I realized a while ago that even though I can make an okay song from scratch that my approach is hit or miss and sometimes, lackluster. Where, through the offerings created by artists who have dedicated their lives to making loops that I can find some very nice frameworks for songs that in the end have a possibly greater overall appeal.

I have made many of my songs totally from scratch but even with them I am still using synths and other instruments created by musicians. Where do you draw the line?

I didn't build my acoustic guitar, drum kit and synth from scratch myself either. (hehe)

So, I am sort of stuck because audioblocks did not supply me with separate tracks for this loop. I can eq, compress or add some overall reverb effect but that is pretty much it.

I am also considering adding some drums that come in once the song picks up and a pad maybe and some other embellishments to give the various verses and choruses a bit of distinction. I am worried I will disrupt the subtle instrumentation of the loop which is transparent and very delicate. My thinking behind adding stuff is that it gives the song a more interesting overall appeal and therefore listeners will find it more palatable and it will become tiresome later rather than sooner.  Also it makes the song more mine and not as much precanned. I can always go back to this mix if my additions overwhelm the intimacy of this original interpretation.

I will look into trying to tame this loop as best I can and I will post something more when I have it and notify you all of the changes.

Thank you for listening and helping me perfect my songs for primetime.

Best Regards

RR 

Edited by RexRed
spelling

Brian Wilson used the Wrecking Crew, Berry Gordy had his house band,  how many hits were the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section on; the list goes on. It’s your vision and creativity that counts, then if you can’t play it, you hire someone who can. If that’s a loop, so be it. Loops are tougher to manage than A list studio pros.

I like the delicate feel, you’ve done a fine job of getting the loops to tell your story. I say say well done. Print it and move on. 

Tom

Edited by DeeringAmps
Added content

Rex, +1 for the second mix.   I also totally agree with @DeeringAmps in his above reply.  Why else would would Daws include so many loops to use ?  A friend of mine doesn't want to use  his  "Band in a box"  for a few parts  , but he'll use Me...  I don't see any difference.   I'd get it myself if I had room to spare on my ssd.    Much Respect ..    mark