Cakewalk "kills" audio alerts. Please offer advice on how to set up audio.

yeto

Question

Any time I open Cakewalk my Windows 10 alerts (like when I get an email or notice etc.) audio stops. The audio driver mode set is set to ASIO.  I am using the internal sound card that came with my computer. I did some research and it seems that maybe the audio driver should be set to MME. Could someone share if this could be the problem? I would like for the audio on my alerts to continue to work while I am using Cakewalk.

Thank you in advance for any help,
yeto

2 answers to this question

When running a DAW it is a good idea to disable Windows sounds completely.

If you are running ASIO4All, this is not a real ASIO driver. It is a wrapper for WDM drivers primarily designed for programs that only support ASIO drivers. Sometimes it works better than the native Windows drivers; other times ASIO4All is a problem and must be uninstalled to restore the machine back to proper operation.

AFAIK, the native Realtek ASIO does not work very well either.

MME is the driver mode of last resort. Typically the worst performer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yeto said:

Any time I open Cakewalk my Windows 10 alerts (like when I get an email or notice etc.) audio stops. The audio driver mode set is set to ASIO.  I am using the internal sound card that came with my computer. I did some research and it seems that maybe the audio driver should be set to MME. Could someone share if this could be the problem? I would like for the audio on my alerts to continue to work while I am using Cakewalk.

Thank you in advance for any help,
yeto

If you're using your internal sound card, you probably want it set to WASAPI, with the option to share the device selected.

MME is really only there for really old sound cards for compatibility, and its performance is nowhere near as good as WASAPI or ASIO. 

• Like 1