New laptop, new install - MASSIVE lag in mouse/screen GUI response

Jason Halogen

Question

Hello. 15 year Cakewalk user, mostly happy with CbB. I just picked up a new laptop, Dell G5 series, 6 cores at 2.6 Ghz, 16 MB RAM, dedicated graphics card, SSD, etc. 9th Gen Intel i7 processor.

In CbB and ONLY in CbB, any mouse movement tracks fine on the screen but a mouse click has a solid 3 seconds delay before response... for example, if I click on the timeline it'll take 3 seconds for that click to register and move the cursor. It's a brand new install.

I'm having a hard time believing it's the machine. Any ideas?

Edited by Jason Halogen
  • Like 2

12 answers to this question

Folks, I appreciate your attempts to help me navigate what turned out to be a total brainfart.

Get this.

After nearly 2 decades working in DAW environments, I forgot to plug in an external sound card of some kind. Plugged in my Focusrite and the problem is 100% solved.

Is there any way to delete a post out of embarrassment?

• Like 1

Did you do the following?

Decrapify it (i.e. remove all the pre-installed software)

Install all updates for Windows 10 and vdist runtimes (These are not included with Windows Updates)

Update all hardware drivers (Manually visit Manufacturers websites rather that rely on auto updates) - graphics, Audio I/F, network, etc

Optimise according to various DAW optimisation guides around the place.

Core parking off (CPU Min and Max at 100%)

All power saving you can find off (in AC mode)
              USB power saving off
If Nvida, set power saving to "Prefer Max performance" (In 3D settings)

Others may have more things to try.

14 hours ago, Promidi said:

Decrapify it (i.e. remove all the pre-installed software)

very important what @Promidi recommended here. All new laptops come with pre bundled bulls#$% that should not be installed and at all cost removed if possible.

The most likely candidate in your cause could be the Anti virus protection which is typically McAfee. Open up preferences in your AV software and put in an exception for the whole Cakewalk running program folder (including the VST scanner).

14 minutes ago, Jason Halogen said:

I forgot to plug in an external sound card of some kind. Plugged in my Focusrite and the problem is 100% solved.

Is there any way to delete a post out of embarrassment?

Thanks for sharing the solution.  No need to delete as at some point or another who hasn't forgotten to look to see if something isn't plugged in? The good news is, this incident will probably serve as a reminder to check to see if something's unplugged for a year or two or more!!

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with this thread and nothing to be embarrassed about. Glad you got it figured out and reported back. In the future, it may help someone with a similar issue. Marking your reply as the answer.

BTW, the forum does not permit users to delete threads or posts. Chuck and I (and several others) can and do perform this service when asked (such as when a sale is double posted in the Deals area and the OP requests removal of the duplicate) but again this really should be left in the forum. As a regular user, you may edit the posts to leave them blank but please try to avoid doing this. Deleting posts can render threads difficult to understand.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jason Halogen said:

Well in that case, I'm proud to contribute. :)

Nice to see you came back and explained your situation. Its appreciated and helps users in the future.

The Q+A section of this forum has massive potential for Cakewalk users looking for answers in site searches. The problem is, most users don't select "best answer" or even come back to their questions once they have found a solution. Thus making it difficult to sift through multiple reply's to find the answer.

Glad you did :)

• Like 2

Well, I'm curious about why using the onboard sound caused such a thing. I'm presuming that CbB grabbed either the HD chip or HDMI in the absence of his external interface.

I'm using the HD chip right now on my notebook and it's working fine in WASAPI mode. It's an antique compared to Jason's. Dell i5 Latitude. It processes mouse clicks just fine.

13 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Well, I'm curious about why using the onboard sound caused such a thing.

I've seen similar occurrences using MME

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:10 AM, Jason Halogen said:

any mouse movement tracks fine on the screen but a mouse click has a solid 3 seconds delay before response

• Confused 1

Even with a whole bunch of computer horsepower, lots of memory, and all that, I FREQUENTLY experience long periods of time between clicking my mouse, and then my waking up sometime later, after nodding off.

Not really a computer issue - I am just freshly 60, and I need my naps.... :)

Bob Bone

• Like 1

I forgot to post any type of update! So... after I plugged in the external (Scarlett 2i4, my "little" converter), it worked fine. But strangely, when I tried to run CbB again without the Scarlett, it STILL worked fine. 

It almost seems like the presence of the Scarlett made the internal soundcard feel like such a punk that it went back to school.