Rapture has gone silent

Sambo Rouge

Question

Hello,

I've had Rapture for a number of years.  It was registered and everything was fine until recently.  Now it pops up(in Reaper)in demo mode and asks to register, except the register box is greyed out and it states that I have not signed on as an administrator.  When I close everything and start again as an administrator  Rapture opens, this time without the splash screen telling me the demo is over, so I assumed I'm back.  The trouble is , even though I load a voice, there is no sound.  I have tried everything but to no avail.  Anyone had similar problems.  I would appreciate any help on this.

Regards, 

David

11 answers to this question

It could be that you are trying to use a 32 bit Rapture instead of the 64 bit.  I've had that problem before.  Also in my opinion Rapture was never fully finished.  

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Universal-120-Vol-2-for-RaptureRapture-Pro-only-999-m3714020.aspx and that  will solve that problem for you.   Also Rapture uses the ProgramData directory which is a hidden folder and you have to turn it on in file options.

Also you can find your serial number at Cakewalk.com which keeps a record for years of your downloads.  I checked it for my account and it listed it.  So you can get your serial numbers from there.  I remembered I had to struggle with it but if you have those 2 things I would change my foldername  (just so you don't lose the efforts of programming you have put in for that plugIn.   and reinstall it.  

Not sure about the impact of compatibility setting. Never used it and never had a problem with Rapture running in the current OS without compatibility mode settings including Win10. That said, I have not run a 32bit OS or 32bit Rapture in years.

Never have read about a problem like this before. Something may have happened with the registry.

Could try registering by running the stand alone Rapture as administrator or

try a clean re-install of Rapture. 

• Uninstall Rapture
  • Remove the Rapture registry entries
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\rp
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\rp
  • Reinstall and activate. If using a Command Center era installer use the Command Center to install and activate otherwise perform a manual install and activation. To manually activate run the stand alone as administrator then enter the reg and sn when prompted.

Before uninstalling, may want to save off C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Rapture and the multisample folder. the default location is C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Rapture\Multisamples. Then restore these folders after reinstall. This is the easiest way to restore custom and third party programs and samples.

• Like 1

Well, I did all of that and nothing worked.  No sound.  I see the midi signal on the volume meter fluctuating(recently this has always been the case) when I play the keys ---  but no sound.

It seems to me there is a simple explanation for this, often the hardest to spot.

Thanks again for your help.

No sound may be a different issue.

Cakewalk sfz engine synths shut down when the data stream contains unexpected data. CbB has an option to ignore NRPN data, not sure about Reaper. May want to make sure the MIDI data contains note and CC data only. Often times, third party MIDI clips have setup data at the beginning of the clip that needs to be ignored or removed so that the synth does not get the data.

As far as 32-bit DAWs go, Rapture (classic VST) v1.22/32-bit works fine for me in the latest Reaper 32-bit, which I just downloaded (as I only had the 64-bit version previously installed). I do not have any 32-bit Sonar DAWs installed to test with.

I am running Windows 10 Pro x64 and these 32-bit programs and working plugins are in the 32-bit "Program Files (x86)" path. It has been a few years since I ran 32-bit Windows, so I cannot compare with that.

Edited by abacab