clip and audio file management

Matthew Niranjan

Question

Hi, I have a project with 8 tracks and about 16 different clips spread between them. During the recording around 30 takes were done in total, resulting in many audio files in the "audio" folder, with the name of project and track number. Obviously I have not decided to use all of those, therefore deleting them from the project (but remaining in folder). In the project I have renamed all of the clips to more suitable names for myself, however, these names are not changed in the audio folder. So, I now have many audio files with very similar names, that I can't easily distinguish between. I need to know what audio files I actually am using in my project. Is there a way I can change audio files names through the project?

thanks

2 answers to this question

That’s right. You have to name a track before you record. Any name changes after a track is recorded are not reflected in the audio folder 

The way to clean up a project is to use “Save As” and check copy audio with project and put it in a new location. Only the audio used in the current version will be copied to the new location. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

Tracks > Copy Track Name(s) to Clip Names(s) will do what it says after the fact, but won't rename the underlying files.

Conversely, Clips > Bounce to Clip(s) won't change the clip names in the project, but it will apply the current track name to a newly created  audio file and append  "bounced" and a sequential number to ensure clip names are unique and distinguish them from original recordings. Note that it will also apply Clip Gain, Clip/ARA FX and Audiosnap edits (and merge clips if more than one is bounced at a time), which may or may not be desireable.

Utilities > Clean Audio Folder is the intended method of removing un-referenced audio files from the current project's folder and is generally quicker and less error prone than Save As to a new location which is an old workaround.