Using general PC speakers in a DAW

Mesh

As some of you may know I recently got a 2nd PC for general family use and will also be using it as a DAW (just for my children to play with...not using to mix anything serious, but rather to just hear whatever is being played through it). 

Would general PC speakers work for this or what other options do I have (besides getting studio monitors)? For an audio interface, I'll be using a 1st gen Focusrite 2i4.

Headphones might be a good option....having to consider the inexperienced musical notes (noises) that we'll all have to hear. ;)

A 2.1 multimedia speaker system with a subwoofer will work well with the on-board audio just for playback. I use one for my laptop when I have it running at home, with a  copy of my DAW software. I do use headphones when traveling, of course.

I have an older version of the 2.1 multimedia system from Creative.  It's definitely not studio quality, but as a consumer audio system, it gets the job done.

This appears to be the latest offering...

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-A250-Multimedia-Speaker-System/dp/B00CDJJZV6

https://us.creative.com/p/speakers/sbs-a250

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-computer-speakers/

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Consumer multimedia speakers typically use a single 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo mini headphone plug.

Like a headphone jack on a laptop, mobile phone, or an MP3 player. Or like an aux audio input for your car stereo.

If you have a 1/4" headphone output on that Focusrite, you could use a 1/4" to 1/8" stereo headphone adapter.

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

If children will be the primary users, then closed-back headphones will be a must. Same goes for kids' musical instruments and handheld devices. They want to explore and that should be encouraged. But no point in subjecting your own ears to their experiments. 

You can get those cheap $29 cans that studios buy in bulk for handing out to drummers and bass players.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

You can get those cheap $29 cans that studios buy in bulk for handing out to drummers and bass players.

That quacked me up!

I agree with you about being subjected to their experiments and H-phones might be the right ticket. I still might get those speakers that abacab recommended as backup.

Appreciate the replies gents. :)

56 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

You can get those cheap $29 cans

Why are you bringing toilet humor into this thread😆

Seriously I have to agree with you on the closed-back phones with kids. But make sure you have the setting where they can't blast the volume.