I Was Made 4 Lovin U - Cover

dr.hash

And now for something completely different - 

It's been a few months since my last posting...this was movement one of my second animated symphony. Whilst I was working on movement two of said symphony - I decided to start work on a cover of the Kiss epic track I Was Made 4 Lovin U! It was actually harder than I thought and took up the better part of two and half months worth of evening work. I think it was worth it though. 

Next week I should have movement two of my 3d animated symphony finished...it is bonkers and in 4k!  

Stay tuned for the animation of I Was Made 4 Lovin U! 

Enjoy!   

Edited by dr.hash

On 10/18/2019 at 1:20 PM, DeeringAmps said:

Interesting take indeed. It seemed to “stutter” a bit just before the 3:00 mark. Was that intentional, or a fault in the streaming? Good vocal. 

Tom

Hi Tom, thanks for listening - I checked the original 32bit master 😉 - I have an LG phone with a 32bitDac, and actually I create 64 bitFp masters from which the 32 bit master is uploaded to Soundcloud  -  but I checked the master and I suspect it is either on Soundcloud's end or of course your connection, or it is how Soundcloud compressed the file. The issue is the granular delay on the toms at that precise time - and Soundcloud's compression algorithm.

There is no real reason to compress music IMO these days. Again, my phone has 100 gig of storage - expandable by another 2 terabytes and a 32bitdac - the clever lie streaming companies have sold us is holding back musical art back in so many ways. No I don't have a music streaming service and never will! 

Thanks again. 

Ben   

On 10/18/2019 at 2:27 PM, bjornpdx said:

Dr Hash
Not familiar with the song or with Kiss either but I really like your version. Well done on the usual guitars and bass but there's more stuff going on in there which gives the song more depth. Great vocals and nice job all around.

Hi Bjorn - thanks for listening. Gosh...you don't know the original...you're one of the few people who don't, but it gives you an interesting perspective on the track. And yes - there are a lot of layers. The dos and chorus probably have 10 vocal tracks alone. I thought I heard castanets on the original - so I chucked some on but deep in the mix. 3 or 4 verbs and various types of delays. Then of course there is the passive binaural stuff for proper headphones. The guitars, the rhythm is pretty close to the original - so I used Guitar Rig 4 and a Marshall, which was fed into Waves Pye compressor and Wave's Helios EQ (the original was recorded at Electric Ladyland from what I could tell, or Record Plant...so I surmised these types of EQs and compressors would have been used). The lead is a little more interesting, because I am not Space Ace...I can shred, but I can't bend and shred. So I did some jiggery pokery to play the lead line like Ace - but then doubled that line with a granular synth version of the lead line 😎 Showing off now lol!

Thanks again.

Ben  

20 hours ago, daryl1968 said:

Great stuff. 

Love the vocal - reminds me of Dr and the Medics or Dave Vanian from The Damned. 

Hi Daryl - thanks. I have worked very hard on every aspect of music craft. It has paid off - well not riches and fame lol - but I am now at a whole new level. And I am still only going to get better.

Thanks Ben 

13 hours ago, Leizer said:

A little too much effects on the vocals for my taste... but you got a killer voice! Much nicer than Paul Stanleys nasal pipe. Now, do some Tears for fears covers! ;)

Good work, and brave of you to do a cover of such a famous song.

Thanks - I did struggle a little with vox  hence I did some jiggery pokery with the effects. It's the triplets. It's also hard singing to a guide track. 

Thanks for listening