Touchscreen and Fader Moving Issue

JL

Question

So i bought an Acer T232HL touch screen a while back thinking i could use it as a mini Slate Raven 😂 as cakewalk has touch support. But one thing has always bugged me is how the fader always has an initial jump when u try to move it, so i never actually adopted the touch capabilities for automation and only used it as a secondary monitor.

Is anyone else using a touchscreen monitor have this problem too or is this a problem with my specific monitor/touch setting?

heres a short vid showing the issue, pardon my bad fader skills as i was trying to move it while seeing from the phone screen

5 answers to this question

I am interested in picking up a touch screen myself. have been for a while now. Back to your problem,

It appears to be a focus issue which is typical. You must first set focus by touching the fader, then the second touch will command fader movements. It is evident by watching you as soon as you touch the fader, you can clearly see the fader becomes focused (the track meter becomes highlighted).

This is done with a mouse differently because clicking on the mouse accesses focus instantly and them mouse movement changes fader values. Its going to take a double click in your instance. Normally a mouse double click would reset the fader value to 0db (or your set snap value). But in your case touch needs to have focus first.

3 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

I am interested in picking up a touch screen myself. have been for a while now. Back to your problem,

It appears to be a focus issue which is typical. You must first set focus by touching the fader, then the second touch will command fader movements. It is evident by watching you as soon as you touch the fader, you can clearly see the fader becomes focused (the track meter becomes highlighted).

This is done with a mouse differently because clicking on the mouse accesses focus instantly and them mouse movement changes fader values. Its going to take a double click in your instance. Normally a mouse double click would reset the fader value to 0db (or your set snap value). But in your case touch needs to have focus first.

Just tried this, doesnt seem to work. even with a single tap which causes the meter to be in focus (rectangle appears around the fader) it still has the slight jump.

2 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

from the vid it looks like it only "detects" a touch after a certain amount of movement, rather then from the actual first touch, maybe to avoid accidental touches?

seems like this is the issue, i realized i could move my finger sideways first to "activate it"  then move downward. but its really not intuitive to do it this way esp if i want to be able do multiple faders at once. It also seems like its a cakewalk thing as knobs and faders in plugins doest have this threshold and immediately moves.

Hi JL,

i have the very same problem using my 23" touchscreen Acer 232 HL on the program M32-edit (PC controller for my M32 Midas console).

Using the app made for IOS (I have a i-pad) doesn't show this problem.

I have read that (in general), app are written to be used on touchscreens, where programs are not.

regards

I have an HP laptop with touchscreen, just tested this to be sure, and have no delay issues with the touching and immediately dragging/fading. Don't know what the issues would be that create the difference, but I have done nothing special to "enable" this function. I have to say that being able to use the pen for drawing envelopes makes the touchscreen experience really a game changer for me!

Edited by winkpain