Computer guru advise needed

Zo

Hi guyz , i just fired my dell xps 9530 and i see this line ... did a HW test (from bios) and gpu and all seems normal, started in safe mode to elimiante any driver issue , no go , do you guyz think it'sthis could be a screen defect issue , never experienced this ?

screen xps.jpg

Edited by Zo

1 hour ago, slartabartfast said:

It looks like you have a vertically aligned single pixel failure, which most commonly is a screen hardware failure.  Most likely you will have to live with it, unless you want to try an expensive screen replacement.

could it be cable related or screen only ? is their a way to massage or some ?

I think there is some tricks to "heal" dead pixels and fault's in LCD screens. There are some video's on YouTube. I did in fact "repair" a new screen with such a way. You have to massage the spot gently or run a program blinking from bright white to black to make the pixels open and close to. But find the video's before trying because its years since I did and I might have left out some crucial details.

On 10/16/2019 at 12:40 AM, Gswitz said:

Plug in another screen and mirror them.

Yep of course done , same thing ...thks ;)

1 hour ago, Øyvind Skald said:

I think there is some tricks to "heal" dead pixels and fault's in LCD screens. There are some video's on YouTube. I did in fact "repair" a new screen with such a way. You have to massage the spot gently or run a program blinking from bright white to black to make the pixels open and close to. But find the video's before trying because its years since I did and I might have left out some crucial details.

Yep for single pixels it might work but for this i tried but this is a touchscreen with guerilla glass , it s stuff and zero flex ...

I'm guessing it's a bad connection on the printed circuit board for your video card. This is basically not really fixable without replacement. Sometimes warming up the card will temporarily fix the issue because as the plastic expands the connection is restored. It is likely caused by overheating the card in the first place. First, the card heats and the silicon which doesn't soften with the plastic can buckle. When the card cools it separates the silicon path.

So, replacing the card is really the fix. Also, you have to watch out for heat in your device. Overheating can ruin more than your video card.

<Please recognize that this is supposition. Replacing the card is what I would do if it were mine. This is based on the evidence you provided that when you duplicated the screen you saw the same flaw in both.>

8 hours ago, Øyvind Skald said:

Yep, this is a good technique for individual dead pixels, but an entire line isn't coming from the screen but either the cable or the video card.

On 10/17/2019 at 4:03 AM, Zo said:
On 10/15/2019 at 3:40 PM, Gswitz said:

Plug in another screen and mirror them.

Yep of course done , same thing ...thks ;)

By "same thing" do you mean that a new external screen (how was it attached to the laptop?) shows the same streak of dead pixels as the onboard screen?  If so then that would indicate the problem is in the signal from the graphics system rather than a failure in the onboard screen circuitry as I first suspected.  

1 hour ago, slartabartfast said:

By "same thing" do you mean that a new external screen (how was it attached to the laptop?) shows the same streak of dead pixels as the onboard screen?  If so then that would indicate the problem is in the signal from the graphics system rather than a failure in the onboard screen circuitry as I first suspected.  

No ,The  external monitor display works as intendeed , so i exclude any GPU / MB issue , must be the laptop screen issue or cabling witch passes to close to the heatsinks and to the closing mecanisim ... regular Dell crap montage imho

Edited by Zo

I recap lol 

No ,The  external monitor display works as intendeed , so i exclude any GPU / MB issue , must be the laptop screen issue or cabling witch passes to close to the heatsinks and to the closing mecanisim ... regular Dell crap montage imho

See pic it's coming to close to the heat sink and the mechanism to close the laptop 

XPS.jpg

3 minutes ago, craigb said:

Wait...  I can see the problem now!

(Your monitor screen isn't attached. )

Happy to help! 😁

lol waiting patiently here the day you will need help .... Ouah ahahahahah !!! inmy evil voice !!  ;)

by the way this is not my pic 

Edited by Zo

Oh, I've needed help since day one!  Hehe...

Sorry, I work with computers every day (mostly servers and desktops) but, generally, when a laptop has hardware issues, it's usually a matter of saving the data (when possible) and getting a new one.

15 hours ago, Zo said:

I recap lol 

(Picture removed)

See pic it's coming to close to the heat sink and the mechanism to close the laptop 

Hi Zo,

As an amateur who has had some success over the years at mending and refurbishing laptops, including upgrading screens, may I offer a few comments.

I don't suspect it's the routing of the cable and proximity to heatsinks or latch/hinge mechanisms, as long as it's not touching the heatsinks, or interfering with mechanisms. I do suspect it has something to do with connections to the LCD panel.

The cable that attaches the screen (if it's like the Lenovo laptops I've had experience with) has a multiway plug at each end. The accessible end is on the motherboard and it should (N.B. should) be possible, with great care, to disconnect that, check both the plug and the socket for ingress of dirt, and reconnect it. Then see if that effects a cure.

If not, and often more difficult to do, is to gain access to the back of the LCD panel. This often will require removing the bezel from the front of the screen, unscrewing the mounting screws for the LCD panel (assuming that's how it's held in place) and, very carefully, allowing the LCD panel to lower so that one can access the rear. There you will find the plug at the other end of the cable plugged into its socket on the panel itself. Often there will be a piece of tape protecting the join and ensuring that they stay connected. Carefully removing this , checking then remaking the connection and retrying may solve the problem.

If not, you may find that you can buy a used cable from eBay. I did with a Lenovo Thinkpad, where I wanted to upgrade the screen resolution. It was around 8 UK pounds to buy a cable that supported a hi-res LCD.

BUT, and I rather suspect that this is where the problem lies, it may be that the fault lies inside the LCD panel at the connected edge of the panel. Sadly that means that you will have to replace the whole panel. Sometimes it is possible to acquire a complete used asssembly including the hinge mechanism and panel all in one. Otherwise it should be possible just to acquire a replacement LCD display. I paid around 25 UK pounds for a used 1600 x 900 panel for a T430. New ones are around 3 to 4 times the price.

It's a fiddly job, requires care and attention to detail, and some time to get it all correct, but it can be a job that a moderately confident amateur can tackle with an appropriate small tool kit. (No smutty jokes here PLEASE!) I did, with the T430 mentioned above, and got it right the first time (amazing). No one was more surprised than me!

BUT, I don't have any experience with Dell laptops, and therefore can't have any certainty about their methods of construction and how easy, or otherwise it may be.

I wish you luck if you decide to "have a go".

JohnG.

Edited by JohnG
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnG said:

Hi Zo,

As an amateur who has had some success over the years at mending and refurbishing laptops, including upgrading screens, may I offer a few comments.

I don't suspect it's the routing of the cable and proximity to heatsinks or latch/hinge mechanisms, as long as it's not touching the heatsinks, or interfering with mechanisms. I do suspect it has something to do with connections to the LCD panel.

The cable that attaches the screen (if it's like the Lenovo laptops I've had experience with) has a multiway plug at each end. The accessible end is on the motherboard and it should (N.B. should) be possible, with great care, to disconnect that, check both the plug and the socket for ingress of dirt, and reconnect it. Then see if that effects a cure.

If not, and often more difficult to do, is to gain access to the back of the LCD panel. This often will require removing the bezel from the front of the screen, unscrewing the mounting screws for the LCD panel (assuming that's how it's held in place) and, very carefully, allowing the LCD panel to lower so that one can access the rear. There you will find the plug at the other end of the cable plugged into its socket on the panel itself. Often there will be a piece of tape protecting the join and ensuring that they stay connected. Carefully removing this , checking then remaking the connection and retrying may solve the problem.

If not, you may find that you can buy a used cable from eBay. I did with a Lenovo Thinkpad, where I wanted to upgrade the screen resolution. It was around 8 UK pounds to buy a cable that supported a hi-res LCD.

BUT, and I rather suspect that this is where the problem lies, it may be that the fault lies inside the LCD panel at the connected edge of the panel. Sadly that means that you will have to replace the whole panel. Sometimes it is possible to acquire a complete used asssembly including the hinge mechanism and panel all in one. Otherwise it should be possible just to acquire a replacement LCD display. I paid around 25 UK pounds for a used 1600 x 900 panel for a T430. New ones are around 3 to 4 times the price.

It's a fiddly job, requires care and attention to detail, and some time to get it all correct, but it can be a job that a moderately confident amateur can tackle with an appropriate small tool kit. (No smutty jokes here PLEASE!) I did, with the T430 mentioned above, and got it right the first time (amazing). No one was more surprised than me!

BUT, I don't have any experience with Dell laptops, and therefore can't have any certainty about their methods of construction and how easy, or otherwise it may be.

I wish you luck if you decide to "have a go".

JohnG.

Thks Jhon for your detailed post , i did check the motherboard connection side but i don feel doing the full screen discloser for now since i use this badboy at courses ... 

Checked the lcd on ebay and it s 150 and up if i want it new and same resolution (4k)   ... i don t mind payong this but just need to be sure it will solve he issue lol witch is why i wanted to get you guyz advise to isolate the issue ...befo buying 

my model is xps 9530 , the precision 3800 screen is the same ...

Edited by Zo