No 32 bit version for Win 7???

Dreamer

56 minutes ago, scook said:

Referring to the software in general as "leased" (or rented) is misleading as most users do not understand IT terminology (especially without providing context in which the term was used) and would think the lease is a contract involving the exchange of money for goods and services. In this case lease refers to the time a token is valid for an authentication process. IOW, it is a technical term with a specific context and using the term outside of that context to describe the software is incorrect.

Thanks Scook. Yes lease was used in a technical context not monitory. Clearly there is no money involved anymore since Cakewalk is 100% free to use. The "lease" applies to the duration of the current authorization period before you have to renew it and update the software to a more current version. 
In SONAR  previously the expiration of the "lease" meant that you had to purchase a new membership. Except now there is no purchase - it is free.

Oh and 32 bit software is not coming back. We wanted to stop it due to the excessive support burden years ago. It would have been prohibitive to do with CbB.

• Like 1

I think we can complain when we can no longer open Cakewalk. Until then the notion that we are renting, leasing or somehow not in control of getting Cakewalk and using it; we should simply stop speculating and make music. To me when they said it is free I have no reason to think otherwise. No one else does either.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chris.r said:

I guess, me and possibly few others, are the ones that don't like to stand on an uncertain ground, that's how I would describe the situation now, that's all

Actually we are on certain ground.  Have you been unable to download Cakewalk? Are you using it? Is it working ? If all the answers are  yes. That would  mean to me  that speculating with no basis to do so is unproductive.  

• Like 2

Let us enjoy the ride and hopefully it is a long winding road by the coast with a greatview. Hope the vehicle doesn't fall off a cliff.......................
Maybe the vehicle is actually the long awaited hovercraft LOL

Anyway I think CbB is in good hands and I will exixt this discussion.

14 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

lease was used in a technical context not monitory. Clearly there is no money involved anymore since Cakewalk is 100% free to use.
The "lease" applies to how long the current authorization period is before you have to renew it to update the software to a more current version

yes, I got it right from the beginning, it was the other folks that got confused with my early post :D I already said sorry

it's the way authorization's online dependant, that was our whole gripe of the discussion, you cannot set and forget, no more with win10, no more with cakewalk today etc... a mark of time (and very counter-productive sometimes)

24 minutes ago, Dave Horch said:

Jon, if  I may, how do you integrate jbridge with CW4BL? (I am the stupid...)

BitBridge is the default way that Cakewalk loads 32-bit VSTs, however we support using the third party wrapper jBridge as well (which you would need to purchase separately). In the Plugin Manager, select your 32-bit plugin, then hit the Plugin Properties button and enable the checkbox to use the jBridge wrapper.

On 1/17/2019 at 5:03 AM, Dreamer said:

I'm an IT graduate and I know enough to say that windows 8 is the last of the non service oriented OS.  Windows 10 is an atrocious piece of garbage. 

Nowadays I have the advantage of being a professional angler and because of this my computer has worked perfectly with this ‘atrocious piece of garbage’ from the moment it was built....😎. The most stable and simple to understand OS I’ve ever used and believe me, I’ve used a few. Furthermore, Cakewalk has never run better either, on anything. 😉

Edited by whistlekiller
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, whistlekiller said:

Nowadays I have the advantage of being a professional angler and because of this my computer has worked perfectly with this ‘atrocious piece of garbage’ from the moment it was built....😎. The most stable and simple to understand OS I’ve ever used and believe me, I’ve used a few. Furthermore, Cakewalk has never run better either, on anything. 😉

I like win 10 but not as much as 7 or xp. There are just too many layers now IMO.

38 minutes ago, backwoods said:

I like win 10 but not as much as 7 or xp. There are just too many layers now IMO.

I’ve never noticed backwoods. I’m a firm believer in leaving well alone without too much digging. Something I picked up from my years in the IT industry talking to very clever technicians. I think Windows 10 is fantastic and it does everything I need it to do better than its predecessors. Can’t ask for more.

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

The "lease" applies to the duration of the current authorization period before you have to renew it and update the software to a more current version. 
In SONAR  previously the expiration of the "lease" meant that you had to purchase a new membership. Except now there is no purchase - it is free.

Oh and 32 bit software is not coming back. We wanted to stop it due to the excessive support burden years ago. It would have been prohibitive to do with CbB.

And herein is the core issue. I have an older laptop (about 10-years old; AMD dual core with 2GB of RAM) that runs Windows Vista 32-bit and the last version of SONAR Home Studio. There is no internet connection on the laptop, so I am not worried about viruses, etc. I still use this laptop when I want to record a track or two. Then I transfer it to Cakewalk and mix, etc. Even though its an old laptop it still runs well and does what I need it to do. The Home Studio version also runs well and does what I need it to do.

Now here is the rub. If Home Studio was under the new 'lease' option, six months after the last install it stops working. Not because anything is wrong with the software, or hardware, or anything else. It stops working simply because it runs past a particular date.

That is planned obsolescence, and we are seeing it more and more (not just Cakewalk, so I don't want to seem like I am picking on them). If I have something that works regardless of whether it was given to me free of charge, or if I had to pay for it, I should expect to be able to use it for as long as I can keep it working. Do I expect the manufacturer (or developer) to support it forever? No. I don't expect Ford to support a 58 Edsel, but others may (and do). As long as I can keep it running, why shouldn't I be allowed to.

If no one owns anything anymore, then we are always beholden to somebody.

8 minutes ago, Mandolin Picker said:

And herein is the core issue. I have an older laptop (about 10-years old; AMD dual core with 2GB of RAM) that runs Windows Vista 32-bit and the last version of SONAR Home Studio. There is no internet connection on the laptop, so I am not worried about viruses, etc. I still use this laptop when I want to record a track or two. Then I transfer it to Cakewalk and mix, etc. Even though its an old laptop it still runs well and does what I need it to do. The Home Studio version also runs well and does what I need it to do.

Now here is the rub. If Home Studio was under the new 'lease' option, six months after the last install it stops working. Not because anything is wrong with the software, or hardware, or anything else. It stops working simply because it runs past a particular date.

That is planned obsolescence, and we are seeing it more and more (not just Cakewalk, so I don't want to seem like I am picking on them). If I have something that works regardless of whether it was given to me free of charge, or if I had to pay for it, I should expect to be able to use it for as long as I can keep it working. Do I expect the manufacturer (or developer) to support it forever? No. I don't expect Ford to support a 58 Edsel, but others may (and do). As long as I can keep it running, why shouldn't I be allowed to.

We are all beholden in life. Before software was a glint in somebody’s eye we were beholden to employers not going to the wall, beholden to landlords not putting up the rent, beholden to partners not asking for a divorce, beholden to political leaders starting wars in which we could all be killed.......if you have the means and inclination to control these important things, a bit of a software ownership problem is small beer.

1 hour ago, whistlekiller said:

Fishing makes your computer work better?

That's me screwed then. I told Mrs Paulo to shoot me if I ever come home with a fishing rod.

31 minutes ago, Mandolin Picker said:

I have similar style. I usually set new win os every 10 years or so and do not poke too much with it over this time. Today, if I would need to do a re-installing, say due to some hardware failure, I could easily rebuild my winXP or 7 and my Sonar X1 or Home studio. I could do it even in 10 years from now if I ever happen to need it, I got my CD/DVDs and codes backed up. That's called 'certain'.

Whether I'm in a situation where the company/developer can decide whether I will continue to use the software or no more, or is forcing unwanted updates like win10, that's different story. I never said uncertain is the free status of cakewalk in future, or is cakewalk in bad hands. Based on what i see is being developed under bandlab I can only tell cakewalk is in great hands and Im grateful for that. I only can gripe that I cant be sure if I will be able to re-install my splat or cakelab in 10 years - this future is not in my hands (although I'm not implying bad intensions).

To give you a bit wider perspective, i'm still on a 32-bit system and planned to upgrade to 64-bit but I can't tell when. I have 2 small reasons for no hurry, one is 2-years old and the other 1-year old :) I assume it may take couple months maybe even years before I decide to go back fully on music. I would like then to put a freshly new win8.1 on a new machine and start with installing splat in front of cakelab. Can I say for sure that the servers will be still going on for splat? Uncertainly. And what if I'd like to keep this system for the next 10 years untouched and offline according to my style? I'll still be forced to connect it online periodically just to keep the cakelab working.

Sonar/Cakewalk is my preferred daw as I'm very efficient when it comes to work with MIDI and just recently started to breaking into audio. Love the tools and workflow overall and would like to keep it going, but building a pro enviroment is demanding for reliability. I can certainly say that I will be able to reinstall my lovely little Harrison Mixbus daw anytime in the future and it shall work seemlessly even after building next machine 10 years later. With Cakewalk I'm affraid at times it may go a bit bitter. I don't have to own the software as long as I can make sure that I can make it work anytime, then only focus on music. Doing some updates once a year of two is fine.

That was just to give you some picture as to why there are some people still holding off from upgrading to CakeLab or asking for offline auth. despite it's a better daw now and worth it altogether.

Two things:

1. you don't need to be running Windows 10 Pro to be able to turn things on and off with Group Policy Editor. I learned this just recently. Group Policy Editor, along with other old admin tools friends of mine, comes with every installation of Windows 10. It's hidden, you just need to know the recipe to gain access to it. Kinda like the PX-64 and VX-64 in CbB. I shall leave the rest to the Googling pleasure of those who are interested.

2. Whistlekiller, Chris, anyone else who is planning it for the eventuality of running CbB 2020 Build 30 on Windows 8.1 on their trusty Dell Inspiron after global warming has caused sea levels to drown BandLab's server farm....I'll share this trick I used when I was still an IT pro and we were prepping our infrastructure for Y2K. Anyone remember Y2K? Supposed to be a computer holocaust. Right. Anyway, it's called Setting Your System's Real-Time Clock To The Wrong Date. Yes! To CbB running on a computer that never sees the internet, it can always be Groundhog Day! Or any other day that CbB thinks is within its valid licensing period.

Sleep well tonight, your ground uncertain no more.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Meh 1

4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Two things:

1. you don't need to be running Windows 10 Pro to be able to turn things on and off with Group Policy Editor. I learned this just recently. Group Policy Editor, along with other old admin tools friends of mine, comes with every installation of Windows 10. It's hidden, you just need to know the recipe to gain access to it. Kinda like the PX-64 and VX-64 in CbB. I shall leave the rest to the Googling pleasure of those who are interested.

That appears to be a rather grand proclamation, but bottom line you offer no evidence, nor willingness to share the solution with the group.  Why even bother?

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1