No 32 bit version for Win 7???

Dreamer

9 hours ago, Mandolin Picker said:

For me, it comes down to who does the computer belong to - me, or the company that makes the software the computer runs on. Microsoft (and many others) clearly believe that once you put their software on it, your computer and what you do with it belongs to them. The amount of 'telemetry' being sent back to the mother ship and the forced updates are my primary factors to moving away from Windows. In fact, the primary reason this computer still has Windows is due to Sonar/Cakewalk.

Yeah only that Cakewalk is working on a rental basis too now.

• Meh 1

Windows 7 is technically supported, but gets the least of our test resources as its not under active development from Microsoft (and hasn't been since 2015). The security patches run out January next year.

Similarly, the overwhelming majority of users are running 64-bit  systems. Cakewalk will still run most 32-bit plugins via Bit Bridge (or J Bridge).

I'm not sure where "Cakewalk on a rental basis" is coming from... We've been delivering a free version of what was previously SONAR Platinum with all its core features intact, and improving upon that for almost a year. Once the application has authorized on your system, it's not going anywhere. 

Referring to the software in general as "leased" (or rented) is misleading as most users do not understand IT terminology (especially without providing the context in which the term was used) and would think the lease is a contract involving the exchange of money for goods and services. In this case lease refers to the time a token is valid for an authentication process. IOW, it is a technical term with a specific context and using the term outside of that context to describe the software is incorrect.

• Like 1

Chances are you do not own any software you purchased. Most software companies sell licenses to use their software. They do not sell their software outright. BandLab purchased IP from Gibson. That IP included the code for SONAR and other Cakewalk products. BandLab developed a new product based on that code and provide licenses to use that software free of change.

I feel like I own Sonar 8.5. The company I had leased it from no longer exists, and I can activate it with serial number indefinitely. I would say this constitutes ownership.

Always dangerous to make generalities. Exceptions always seem to pop up. 

4 minutes ago, scook said:

Chances are you do not own any software you purchased. Most software companies sell licenses to use their software. They do not sell their software outright. BandLab purchased IP from Gibson. That IP included the code for SONAR and other Cakewalk products.

agreed... and that was our sad conclusion to the discussion

sad because it makes more and more difficult to organize your workplace the way you like it today than it was years before