Jump to content
Ralf

Single click to set a Note in Piano Roll would be great

Recommended Posts

Hey CbB´s

On my wish list is the function to set a Note event in the Piano Roll with a single click only.
I´m setting mostly Notes in the Piano Roll by click them in, but it´s no fun to do it always with a double click.

My 2nd wish is the Note editing by itself in the Roll, the Tool have to change by itself into a Rubber / Eraser
if i point the Pen in the middle of the Note or by a click on the Mouse weehl or a Keyboard shortcut, something like this.

I tested Studio One out and this Midi Editings in the Piano Roll is the greatest i´ve ever seen, i wish the same features in CW too.

Sorry for my bad english but i hope you understand a little of my wishlist (:o

Ralf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ralf said:

I´m setting mostly Notes in the Piano Roll by click them in, but it´s no fun to do it always with a double click.

What would we do to grab a single note in PRV ?

If we click on that note once, it would open the Note event preference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Chuck E Baby said:

What would we do to grab a single note in PRV ?

If we click on that note once, it would open the Note event preference

If you click on the note that already there, then it selects it.  That's how it works in most software.  But if you click in empty space, then it creates a new note.

Constant double clicking when writing music in a piano role is a recipe for repetitive use injuries.  Something so basic should not require a double click.  I'd actually prefer a modifier + click, as that is "safer" and more ergonomic.

I'm basically on break from using any software like that right now, due to issues in my right arm/wrist that flare up due to using a computer mouse so much - clicking.

This is why a lot of desktop Mac users opt to use a Magic Trackpad.

Edited by Some Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems holding Alt + single left click in empty area creates a new note.
Right click a note is works as eraser.

Edited by HIBI
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Some Guy said:

If you click on the note that already there, then it selects it.  That's how it works in most software.  But if you click in empty space, then it creates a new note.

I must have confused what the OP wanted, I thought he wanted the Note event properties to pop up on single click. Makes more sense now.

1 hour ago, Some Guy said:

I'd actually prefer a modifier + click, as that is "safer" and more ergonomic.

ALT + single click does this already. I guess that's why I got confused reading the OP.

If we changed to "single click note adding", not sure how we would navigate in the PRV. except using the timeline only. which to me would be time consuming.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Some Guy said:

I'm basically on break from using any software like that right now, due to issues in my right arm/wrist that flare up due to using a computer mouse so much - clicking.

Hope it gets better man.

Been there myself. Close to carpel tunnel using this mouse. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just say "no" to

2 hours ago, Some Guy said:

Constant double clicking when writing music in a piano role is a recipe for repetitive use injuries.

My $.02:   If you're writing enough music in the PRV to get a repetitive stress injury, it's time to start recording the old fashioned way... using a MIDI keyboard.

Even if you have to use Step Record mode rather than real time recording, it should be significantly more efficient and ergonomically friendly than drawing notes with a mouse.

And if you can manage even a rough real time performance, correcting the mistakes will probably require less clicking. And the more you do it, the fewer mistakes you'll have to correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Just say "no" to

My $.02:   If you're writing enough music in the PRV to get a repetitive stress injury, it's time to start recording the old fashioned way... using a MIDI keyboard.

Even if you have to use Step Record mode rather than real time recording, it should be significantly more efficient and ergonomically friendly than drawing notes with a mouse.

And if you can manage even a rough real time performance, correcting the mistakes will probably require less clicking. And the more you do it, the fewer mistakes you'll have to correct.

Doesn't matter, and no one should care what you or I think they should use.

Requiring a double click for this is awful design, and even worse ergonomics.  It's too basic a task to require that kind of action.

If the modifier + single click works, then that's an acceptable workaround.  The OP can get a programmable mouse and just set one of the buttons to that combination.

Ergonomics is just as important as accessibility.

At this point in my life, I'm about ready to move to a Mac full time, just for the Force Touch Magic Trackpad.

 

Edited by Some Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Some Guy said:

If the modifier + single click works, then that's an acceptable workaround. 

It does. The ALT+ Click adds a note instantly. So does Single click and drag, no modifier key needed.

I think the smart tool works very well for PRV as is myself. I know everyone works differently but there are multiple options for add note in PRV.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chuck E Baby said:

there are multiple options for add note in PRV.

 

This 👍👍👍

Pressing "T" gets you the smart tool.  Also using the function keys (F5 through F11) will allow you to toggle through the smart tool functionality.

I use the PRV all the time for editing and rearranging.  This keeps things simple and straightforward.  

Sure I can double click (or Alt+click), but understanding what the smart tool has to offer speeds things up a bit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly off topic,

This feature request/feedback loop seems to be one of the more disorganized messes on this site. I know that might seem harsh but I find most users leaving comments in this section are users with under 10 posts to their name, and while some may be long time Cakewalk users, most are not and it is evident in many cases, users are asking for "already existing features".

The one interesting part however, is looking through the view of new users. They don't see things like some of us long time users who are someone polluted by existing methods. Thus, the new user must be respected and listened to.

I just find answering topics in this part of the forum to be a chore.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, arlen2133 said:

Pressing "T" gets you the smart tool.  Also using the function keys (F5 through F11) will allow you to toggle through the smart tool functionality

I was going to mention that as well. The select tool enters note on single click as well. And very easy to pull up using F5-F11 or Tools HUD.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chuck E Baby said:

I was going to mention that as well. The select tool enters note on single click as well. And very easy to pull up using F5-F11 or Tools HUD.

I guess if you're a new user, you're not inclined to RTFM...LOL

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ralf said:

My 2nd wish is the Note editing by itself in the Roll, the Tool have to change by itself into a Rubber / Eraser

Right-click deletes.

Also not previously mentioned, I believe, is that left-click and drag draws a note of any desired length, and a very short drag before release draws another note of the last-used duration - effectively giving you a note with a single-click, no modifier, and no tool-swapping. Since it's difficult to make music of any interest using only a single duration (one-shot drum sample triggering excepted, of course), I would think a lot of note entry would involve this click-and-drag gesture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Chuck E Baby said:

This feature request/feedback loop seems to be one of the more disorganized messes on this site. I know that might seem harsh but I find most users leaving comments in this section are users with under 10 posts to their name, and while some may be long time Cakewalk users, most are not and it is evident in many cases, users are asking for "already existing features".

The one interesting part however, is looking through the view of new users. They don't see things like some of us long time users who are someone polluted by existing methods. Thus, the new user must be respected and listened to.

I just find answering topics in this part of the forum to be a chore.

I generally resist the urge to comment on posts here, but sometimes the rest of the forum is so quiet, it's hard to resist. ;^)

Ultimately these suggestions are intended primarily for the Bakers' eyes,  but that doesn't mean other users aren't welcome to weigh in with their opinions about the value, necessity or implementation details of a suggested feature/change. It can happen (and has happened) that a suggestion gets accepted and implemented in a way that really screws up the workflow of long-time users, so they have right to register their concerns in advance.

And, as you say, there appear to be many cases where a user isn't aware of an existing feature that offers most or all of what they want.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, arlen2133 said:

I guess if you're a new user, you're not inclined to RTFM...LOL

 

The FM is kind of hard to read because it's just a PDF render of a CHM file that is great when it comes to navigation.

OP probably would have been able to press F1 and get his answer if they hadn't unnecessarily removed the Context-Sensitive Help file from the installer.

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Some Guy said:

OP probably would have been able to press F1 and get his answer if they hadn't unnecessarily removed the Context-Sensitive Help file from the installer.

Possible, but not probable.  It's easier to just post here.  :/
I think that's what Chuck E Baby and David Baay were alluding to.

On the old forum, there used to be links (and posts) that pointed to things like "CakeTV" and other materials that explained things like this.

There is definitely a need to bring those things back (updated of course). 

Edited by arlen2133
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...