cakewalk not relevant in the market?

Ciodontrax

5 hours ago, paulo said:

It already happened and I guess you missed it. When you installed the free version a secret virus was also installed which morphs into nanoparticles of moisture that leech through the keys of your computer and get all over your fingers, eventually finding their way into your bloodstream when you lick your fingers after eating that big doughnut that you had during a recording break. Once inside you, the virus will slowly multiply in your brain until one day you have an overwhelming urge to sell all of your possessions and donate all of your money to Meng.

How else do you think his dad got so rich?

Well, that explains the sudden x-ray vision ... :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

Cakewalk must be missing something that Pro Tools and Cubase aren't.

In general, most DAWs are missing some features that others have.

I cannot speak for Pro Tools and Cubase, as I have not used them, but I  have and like Studio One Pro and Ableton Live.

For example, Cakewalk does not have the chord track, scratch pads, or sampler of Studio One, and Cakewalk does not have the highly functional clip launcher (session view) and integrated sampling of Ableton Live. These tools make alternate types of workflows  easily accessible.

Not saying that you can't make professional music in Cakewalk, as you most certainly can. Especially if you are recording and mixing audio, or working heavily with MIDI. Cakewalk is my first choice for a MIDI sequencer. But if I was scoring for film or TV, and recording live orchestra, I would probably opt for Cubase.

But there is a reason that there are so many DAWs out there, and that is that everybody has different needs. Sometimes the same individual may have different needs depending on the type of project in hand at the moment, and various feature sets may make specific workflows faster. That said, you will probably be most efficient by fully knowing one DAW forwards and backwards. Then if you still find a certain task difficult in your DAW of choice, you may find that a second DAW has solved that task in a much more time saving way.

DAWs are tools. Just use the tool works! There is no such thing as being unfaithful or disloyal to your favorite DAW. It won't hurt to learn or use more than one!  ;)

• Like 2

Yep,  so true @abacab

I have to say I hope Cakewalk does get a chord track like Tracktion or Studio One. Cool tools.  I wish the Matrix would get some love from Cakewalk too.
Really after all these years and we can't record directly into the Matrix :(   I'm  sure I will bite the bullet and get Reaper too for the   ≈  $60.00 one of these days too.

12 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

...  If that's the case, Cakewalk must be missing something that Pro Tools and Cubase aren't.

😀JB

Well, PT and Cubase didn't have a guitar manufacturer buy them and then screw over the entire user base.

Trust has to be earned, especially with those who've been burned (rhyme unintended).  Get the user base back on board and then you can expand.

Also, there's a lot of evidence that there's a Universal Rule that what you give away will return to you ten-fold.  (Don't knock it until you try it! 😉)

Edited by craigb

8 hours ago, craigb said:

Well, PT and Cubase didn't have a guitar manufacturer buy them and then screw over the entire user base.

Trust has to be earned, especially with those who've been burned (rhyme unintended).  Get the user base back on board and then you can expand.

Also, there's a lot of evidence that there's a Universal Rule that what you give away will return to you ten-fold.  (Don't knock it until you try it! 😉)

So?  Are you condemning Cakewalk or praising them?  In the first sentence you're "burning" them for screwing over their entire customer base and in the last, you praise them for giving away something.  I don't look at Cakewalk screwing us over when the end result was that all of us, and then some, get to use a benchmark DAW that supposedly offers everything  a musician could need FOR FREE.  Although the outcome could've been different,  I think it turned out to everybody's benefit.

😀

16 hours ago, abacab said:

In general, most DAWs are missing some features that others have.

I cannot speak for Pro Tools and Cubase, as I have not used them, but I  have and like Studio One Pro and Ableton Live.

For example, Cakewalk does not have the chord track, scratch pads, or sampler of Studio One, and Cakewalk does not have the highly functional clip launcher (session view) and integrated sampling of Ableton Live. These tools make alternate types of workflows  easily accessible.

Not saying that you can't make professional music in Cakewalk, as you most certainly can. Especially if you are recording and mixing audio, or working heavily with MIDI. Cakewalk is my first choice for a MIDI sequencer. But if I was scoring for film or TV, and recording live orchestra, I would probably opt for Cubase.

But there is a reason that there are so many DAWs out there, and that is that everybody has different needs. Sometimes the same individual may have different needs depending on the type of project in hand at the moment, and various feature sets may make specific workflows faster. That said, you will probably be most efficient by fully knowing one DAW forwards and backwards. Then if you still find a certain task difficult in your DAW of choice, you may find that a second DAW has solved that task in a much more time saving way.

DAWs are tools. Just use the tool works! There is no such thing as being unfaithful or disloyal to your favorite DAW. It won't hurt to learn or use more than one!  ;)

Well then, there you go.  This guy answered my original question. 

In the past I used Samplitude Music Studio (version 2013) and Mixcraft (ended at version 5).

I used mostly Samplitude but then I ran into a problem with it that even their tech support couldn't handle, so that's when I bought into Cakewalk (started @ X3 Studio).  Once I was past the learning curve (thanks largely to you guys on this forum ❤️) I got along real well with it.  Then last year, with CbB I had to learn a bit of new stuff and now I'm OK again.  But I'm not a professional like some of you guys are.  I'm just making music for fun.

😀JB

On 10/16/2019 at 9:45 AM, paulo said:

Too busy being the son of a billionaire....... If that were me, I wouldn't hang out here either. He's probably scooting round the ocean somewhere in a big ***** gin palace wearing real gold speedos with platinum diamond encrusted flip flops while knee deep in high class hookers and blow. If he's not, I wanna know why not?

They own Music Tech Magazine and I'm surprised they haven't put Bandlab in their content.   We have no idea what is going on in Asia.  Maybe Bandlab is popular there. 

No one has ever made a DAW that's free that comes close to Bandlab.   So if you use it religiously than you can spend your money on gear instead of DAW upgrades which some developers seem to push then out on an annual basis.

13 hours ago, craigb said:

In which case, send me a $1000 and wait for the money to come rolling in.

2 hours ago, Paul Young said:

They own Music Tech Magazine and I'm surprised they haven't put Bandlab in their content.   We have no idea what is going on in Asia.  Maybe Bandlab is popular there.

Here is a list of the BandLab brands: https://bandlabtechnologies.com/

And in case you are wondering, Cakewalk is covered under the BandLab brand. There are several articles mentioned here about the acquisition. https://bandlabtechnologies.com/brands/bandlab/

So Cakewalk  is slowly gaining visibility on the BandLab home page, and it looks like the long term plan to put the pieces together seem to be in play.

The most recent article from May 2019 (2019.05) mentions ARA2 support, and the ability to publish stems and mixes to BandLab cloud directly from Cakewalk. https://bandlabtechnologies.com/press/8657-cakewalk-by-bandlab-now-supports-ara2

Edited by abacab

Ummm... I would say that Cakewalk has been gaining ground during this year for sure. Companies like Waves or XLN Audio test with it now and free/donation ware  plugins are starting to provide tutorials, drum maps and other resources for it (check out the excellent MT Power Drum Kit). Also, there are more and more Youtube videos and online content about it each day.

On the other hand, non-crossplatform software is much less remarkable on professional contexts (unless Apple one xD)

Edit: I wonder if it will be cross-platform one day. Nevertheless, and slower than I would have expected, Bandlab is improving it and doing small but smart moves with Cakewalk. 

Edited by Feral State Sound

37 minutes ago, Feral State Sound said:

Edit: I wonder if it will be cross-platform one day. Nevertheless, and slower than I would have expected, Bandlab is improving it and doing small but smart moves with Cakewalk. 

I'm going to venture a guess that it's probably not going to be, or at least not anytime in the near future. The Cakewalk Sonar devs under Gibson attempted a Mac crossover, and got as far as an alpha version, before it eventually got killed.

I assume that the realization under the Gibson/Cakewalk business model at the time (need  to achieve a return on investment) was that it would be difficult to sell a $500 DAW into the Mac market against mainstream pro DAWs with established market share like Logic Pro X, that Apple is practically giving away for $199.99. And it would probably have been a very expensive project for Cakewalk to reach cross platform compatibility in a full stable release.

One of the strengths of Cakewalk/Sonar is that it  has always been a Windows only application, in that it is very tightly wrapped with Windows internals, and optimized for them. A lot of that native Windows compatibility would need to be coded from scratch and replicated to run in the Mac.

In my opinion, an app should be coded from the beginning as cross-platform, if that is desirable, because completely re-writing it down the road could prove to be a huge burden on time, budget, and resources.

Edited by abacab

On 10/25/2019 at 6:43 AM, Bapu said:

I have purchased both Protools 2019 and Cubase 10 since CbB came into existence.

Yup, I'm a fool but y'all knew that already.

On 10/25/2019 at 6:56 AM, Johnbee58 said:

Yeah, that's been proven.🤣

Unless they both have something that CbB doesn't offer.

😀JB

17 hours ago, craigb said:

9 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

So?  Are you condemning Cakewalk or praising them?  In the first sentence you're "burning" them for screwing over their entire customer base and in the last, you praise them for giving away something.  I don't look at Cakewalk screwing us over when the end result was that all of us, and then some, get to use a benchmark DAW that supposedly offers everything  a musician could need FOR FREE.  Although the outcome could've been different,  I think it turned out to everybody's benefit.

😀

Just putting the whole chain in for context.  So, it now should be apparent that I'm not "burning" Cakewalk anywhere.  Gibson?  Yep, I'm throwing them under the bus where they belong.

The point here is that Bandlab's approach is a good way to get scorned users back on board.  I'm also making a very specific separation between Cakewalk and Gibson.

• Thanks 2

The first sequencer I worked with was Cubase, after which I was advised by Ableton, but in recent years I used FL Studio
But in the process of using, there were a lot of problems with installing plugins, after which I started looking for similar programs

And that's why I'm using CakeWalk right now.

For the above sequencers, there are many video tutorials and tutorials. But with CakeWalk, the situation is different. Which is rather sad, apparently a lot of people do not use it, because they don’t know how to do it

Edited by Павел Павлов

On 10/26/2019 at 3:08 AM, InstrEd said:

Really I think most of us here having another DAW or two just in case CbB doesn't make it. Plus for me the other DAW's do things that CbB doesn't do at the moment. 

I have many many DAWs for compatibilities sake for clients. Having now retired though that’s no longer necessary however. 
None were bought in case Cakewalk doesn’t make it. I did however buy Cubase 9 ( or 9.5, I forget which) when Steinberg made an attractive cross grade offer at the time Gibson dumped Sonar. It was an opportunity to get a DAW I had thought was too expensive up to that time. 
While there are some features I would love Cakewalk to adopt from others, there are none that important that their being absent in CbB,  push it to second place for most of the work I do now. 
Occasionally, I try using other DAWs to start a project but none feel as comfortable or familiar as CbB. Anytime a musical idea comes to the fore it’s CbB I load up to give substance to my creativity. 

• Like 3

On 10/25/2019 at 10:06 AM, Johnbee58 said:

That somebody would actually pay a significant amount of money for a DAW when they can have Cakewalk for free begs discussion though.  I have heard many people on this forum say that Cakewalk is a true professional DAW.  If so, it should offer just about everything an music artist should need, or at least  make everything possible available.  I'm curious why somebody who has CbB for free would pay so much money for something else.  If that's the case, Cakewalk must be missing something that Pro Tools and Cubase aren't.

😀JB

Those that did not have Sonar Platinum of some sort before are missing a number a vsts and vsti that people still pay a premium to get with other DAWs.  

I generally think it is crazy, but I also have all those extras b/c I paid hundreds for Sonar Platinum.  

Bandlab is an amazing free package, it is light on pro instruments.  The pro channel is fantastic, but it does lack the extra mastering limiter, eq, comp and a few other extras one expects in a paid product.

It is still the best looking daw, thanks to themes.  

I'll say it again the only core feature they really lack are chord tracks and arrangement tools for easy composition.  One could argue the midi tools in cubase are easier to use, but cake does have tools.

I think they should charge 0.05 for it so it makes it into retail stores and catalogs, then see how the market reacts.  Hmmm Cakewalk for five cents or protocols for.....

Edited by Brian Walton