cakewalk not relevant in the market?

Ciodontrax

I wonder why many manufacturers of music software completely ignore cakewalk, such as izotope. In the list of compatible DAW's only the following products are listed for Ozone 9:

Supported Hosts:

Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9–10, Pro Tools 12.8-2019, FL Studio 20, Cubase 9–10, Nuendo 10, Wavelab 9, Sound Forge Pro 13, Sound Forge Mac 3, Studio One 4, REAPER 5, Reason 10, Audition CC 2019, Premiere Pro CC 2019, MASCHINE 2, Komplete Kontrol, Bitwig Studio 3, Final Cut Pro X.

In my opinion, cakewalk is one of the best DAWs in the world!!!

This actually raises a serious question about the viability of Cakewalk. I would have expected that by now every kid with an internet connection would have downloaded CBB--if only to see how good free software could be. Such a massive user base should have pulled the plugin guys into testing their stuff on CW and proudly advertising their compatibility. The money to be made with a free DAW would seem to be in supplying plugs, and frankly I have been a bit surprised that Bandlab has not put major effort to distributing Cakewalk compatible, if not Cakewalk specific, stuff.  In fact there does not seem to be a major effort to push Cakewalk to the masses at all.  Free software might not generate enough revenue to justify the expense of advertising it. Perhaps that is to save support costs on software that is not generating any direct income. Perhaps it is generating enough indirect advertising revenue to justify its existence as a BandLab front end.

As has been the case for years, the actual number of users of the product seems to be a state secret. I can understand why you would want to keep low numbers secret, which makes me suspect the numbers are in fact low relative to the not-much-if-any-more-capable and much-much-much-more-expensive alternatives. Without a general consensus among the add-in development community that Cakewalk users are a major market there is little incentive to even test their products with it, let alone support compatibility issues.

On 10/15/2019 at 10:43 AM, HarryC said:

I wonder why many manufacturers of music software completely ignore cakewalk, such as izotope. In the list of compatible DAW's only the following products are listed for Ozone 9:

Supported Hosts:

Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9–10, Pro Tools 12.8-2019, FL Studio 20, Cubase 9–10, Nuendo 10, Wavelab 9, Sound Forge Pro 13, Sound Forge Mac 3, Studio One 4, REAPER 5, Reason 10, Audition CC 2019, Premiere Pro CC 2019, MASCHINE 2, Komplete Kontrol, Bitwig Studio 3, Final Cut Pro X.

From Sampleson* Things:

"Ready to be loaded into major DAWs (Cubase, Logic Pro, GarageBand, Cakewalk, Reaper, BitWig, Nuendo, FLstudio, etc)"

* OK, they're not iZotope, but at least we're not completely forgotten about. ;)

Edited by Wibbles
  • Like 1

I guess that most VST compatible software should work with Cakewalk, as it is a VST compatible host.

The relevant question that comes up is will it be tested and supported. It it's not listed as supported, you probably won't get much sympathy from 3rd party devs if it doesn't work.

CbB is getting updates and is getting more and more stable each release. I have already told few friends they have to go try it. It is not like it was before.  Also remember Meng is located in Singapore with his music retail house like Sweetwater in USA. Think how many emails over there he gets by folks signing up to download CbB. Instant marketing for how much of a population.  Plus Bandlab too.  I think we are in good hands. I just wish Meng would stop by once in a while to say Hi and  give a little direction/vision he has now for the assets he acquired from Gibson.

• Great Idea 1

Ironic, given iZotope's long relationship with Cakewalk. Some ex-CW employees work there today.

Usually, it's not a show of disregard for any particular host, but rather a practical matter of how much time you can devote to thoroughly testing your product within many hosts. You've got to do that before you can actually claim "support", even though it's a safe bet that any DAW that conforms to the main plugin interface specifications will be compatible. Tracktion isn't on that list either, but is fully VST-compliant.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

I just wish Meng would stop by once in a while to say Hi

Too busy being the son of a billionaire....... If that were me, I wouldn't hang out here either. He's probably scooting round the ocean somewhere in a big ***** gin palace wearing real gold speedos with platinum diamond encrusted flip flops while knee deep in high class hookers and blow. If he's not, I wanna know why not?

• Haha 1

Do we really know how many people actually bought  DAW software since CbB became available for free early last year?

Do we have data available to compare new users of Pro Tools, Ableton, Logic (Mac, I know), FL Studio, Cubase, Reason and the others against those who got on the Cakewalk/Bandlab train since April of 2018?  If not, are we assuming that CbB is not as viable?

Just a thought.

😀John B.

EDIT-I've seen one or two YouTube videos comparing DAWs, both free and not and I do believe they mentioned that CbB was the best choice.  Unless another DAW offers something much more, one would be a fool to pay hundreds of $$$$$$$$$ for something that could be obtained easily and for absolutely free.

Edited by Johnbee58

Whether it's popular/relevant or not, I'm very thankful to Meng & Co. for not only rescuing Cakewalk from it's downfall, but regularly improving CbB. I do have a couple of other DAWS, but CbB is what I know best and can quickly get my musical noises recorded without hassle. Having regularly invested in Sonar since V3, it's extremely nice to have it for free. ;) 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, paulo said:

Too busy being the son of a billionaire....... If that were me, I wouldn't hang out here either. He's probably scooting round the ocean somewhere in a big ***** gin palace wearing real gold speedos with platinum diamond encrusted flip flops while knee deep in high class hookers and blow. If he's not, I wanna know why not?

That movie was made already. "Crazy Rich Asians"  🤣

2 minutes ago, Mesh said:

Whether it's popular/relevant or not, I'm very thankful to Meng & Co. for not only rescuing Cakewalk from it's downfall, but regularly improving CbB. I do have a couple of other DAWS, but CbB is what I know best and can quickly get my musical noises recorded without hassle. Having regularly invested in Sonar since V3, it's extremely nice to have it for free. ;) 

+1,000 
Maybe I'll get my wish and the notation will be worked on and I will be able to record into the Matrix. But as it is it is one heck of a DAW and now free.
Thanks Meng for keeping it alive.

• Thanks 1