Interface with Kontakt and ASIO issues

Craig Parsons

First my specs:
Computer: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
DAW: Sonar Platinum 22.10.0 BUILD 19 [2016.10] – x64
Sound Card: Roland Octa-Capture
Midi Interface: MOTU Micro Lite

I have seamlessly been using 8Dio /Kontakt-based libraries  for some time. That is until I went to open Sonar Platinum and I got this message: 
There are no audio devices for the current driver model on your system. Please go to Edit / Preferences / Audio / Playback and Recording and choose a different driver model.

Thing is after that message, Sonar wouldn't open. I tried re-booting... nothing. Then I updated Sonar and still it gave this same message  and wouldn't open.  Suddenly it opened (why??) and I immediately tried to look at the  Preferences and check the audio settings. Under Devices there were none listed! After some research, I tried changing to  MME (32 bit) and the Octa-Capture audio device   reappeared. So far so good, until I tried to play my Kontakt based instruments and the latency was about a full second between pressing the key and the sound. The midi recording of those same instruments  played back fine, EXCEPT out of sync with the DAW. 

Tried changing the latency and the midi buffer, but nothing addressed that. I'm at my wits end as this problem came on so suddenly and, of course, I'm in the midst of a big scoring project. 

Help? Thanks  in advance. 

Craig Parsons

MME is the "tast resort" mode in case nothing works - for the reasons that you have discovered.  ASIO still remains the most favoured driver mode.

When you say "Then I updated Sonar" I am assuming that is to the latest Cakewalk by Bandlab (2019.9 Build 70).   If not then I recommend you do so.  Note Sonar can run side by side - you shouldn't uninstall Sonar to when you install Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Then try reinstalling the driver for the Roland Octa-Capture.  Maybe head to the Roland website and grab the latest drivers if you have not done so already.

• Like 1

Here's what probably happened...when you booted Windows for some reason the interface didn't respond and therefore never made it onto the list of known devices. It may have been the interface's fault or a USB port that didn't initialize.

Then when you tried to restart SONAR, it was probably still running as a zombie process, waiting for the nonexistent interface to respond. Whenever SONAR refuses to start, go to your Task Manager, see if it's already running, and kill the process if it is.

Most of the time, the interface will come back after you reboot your computer. Make sure you turn it on first, before the computer, so that it's had time to boot itself and therefore be ready to respond when Windows comes calling. I'll bet once you've rebooted you'll be able to go back to ASIO with no problems. If not, look for a hardware answer, hopefully something easy like an unplugged USB cable.

• Like 1