CbB won't open.

jonathan boose

I tried running CbB as administrator to see if it could recognize a 3rd party plugin and now it loads up about 90% and stops without explanation. I rebooted.

Won't run in safe mode.

Win 10 Pro
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz, 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys
Lynx Aurora 16 ADC w/ AES16e card

2019-10-14_142338_CWbB crashing.jpg

When you "Won't run in safe mode", I am assuming that mean holding shift while opening Cakewalk?

Maybe try uninstalling the driver for your Lynx Aurora 16.  Maybe head to the Lynx Studio Technology website and grab the latest drivers if you have not done so already.

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

When you "Won't run in safe mode", I am assuming that mean holding shift while opening Cakewalk?

Maybe try uninstalling the driver for your Lynx Aurora 16.  Maybe head to the Lynx Studio Technology website and grab the latest drivers if you have not done so already.

Thanks for the quick response, Promidi.

Yes, holding shift while opening Cakewalk. I tried uninstalling the driver for the Aurora and installing the latest driver.

CbB still won't open.

16 minutes ago, jonathan boose said:

Thanks for the quick response, Promidi.

Yes, holding shift while opening Cakewalk. I tried uninstalling the driver for the Aurora and installing the latest driver.

CbB still won't open.

As a test only, what happens if you rename your AUD.ini file then try to start Cakewalk.

This file is located here:

%APPDATA%\cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\

21 minutes ago, jonathan boose said:

Can I rename a hidden file?

It's not a hidden file.  It's just the extension that's hidden.

Select AUD ( which is actually AUD.INI ) file and hit F2.  Then rename it to something like AUD_Back

Obviously do this with Cakewalk closed.

Ideally you would want to change folder settings so that extensions are not hidden. 

This is done in Control Panel | File Explorer options, "View" tab, then deselect "Hide Extensions for known file types"

I just went round and round helping a friend out - who was suddenly not able to open CbB, and it turned out to be caused by an old version of EastWest Play software that didn't get properly removed by an update to the Play software.

We ended up trying all kinds of things, to no avail, and finally after exhausting everything I could think of, we got into a Team Viewer session with a tech support guy from EastWest, and he pretty quickly found and deleted the old leftover file, and then everything was back to working fine again.

Not saying the above is relevant to your situation - just illustrating how wacky some of these causes can be - just seemingly random and out of nowhere.

Any other environment changes to your system?  Maybe something that seems innocuous could be interfering with either CbB.

Any Windows Events logged at around the same time as your attempts to launch CbB?  You can get to the Windows Event Viewer a couple of ways - I usually right-click on This PC, then click on Manage, then click on Event Viewer and look for recent errors.

Bob Bone