Adjust Groups of Midi Notes

bluearrows

Question

Hi there,

I'm using CSSS in cakewalk and the legato  strings have   three velocity zones: 0-64, 65-100, and 101-127, which correspond to three legato speeds respectively: slow, medium and fast. Slow has the most delay, approximately 1/3 of a second (333ms), medium is about 1/4s (250ms), and fast has a small delay - approximately 100ms. I watched a video by Dirk Ehlert where he creates presets in Logic for this which i would like to do in cakewalk but dont know how.The link is below and the part it is relevant to is at about 50.30    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p19v9VrESKo

I can set a track delay but that just does the whole track and I cant use the Event filter to select certain notes of different velocities but I just cant seem to get these then selected notes to move to where i want them.

Any ideas ?

6 answers to this question

What I would do is select all the notes in the given track(s) that contains all the notes you wish to change. 

Then use Edit | Select | by filter to narrow the selection to the notes that have the velocity range that you wish to edit.

Then use Process Nudge settings to define the milliseconds to nudge the notes by and then perform the nudge.

If you are willing to convert the milliseconds to ticks, you can use Process | Slide and slide by the calculated ticks.

If you use the Process | Slide command (and you convert the milliseconds to ticks), you could also write a CAL script for to this automatically.

• Like 1

Thanks guys,all very helpful. I'm getting the result I wanted but not really understanding how,

eg ,So I have a note staring at 18:01:000 and i want to start it 330 ms earlier,i put 330ms in the nudge settings and nudge left. The note moves to 17:04:559 which is too far,Im thinking it should be at 17:04:630.If i use the slide method and put -330 in "ticks" it moves it to exactly where I want it 17:04:630

Happy for you to point out what I'm missing,maybe its a setting somewhere of Im not understanding it properly.But Im happy where the notes are.

48 minutes ago, bluearrows said:

eg ,So I have a note staring at 18:01:000 and i want to start it 330 ms earlier,i put 330ms in the nudge settings and nudge left. The note moves to 17:04:559 which is too far,Im thinking it should be at 17:04:630.If i use the slide method and put -330 in "ticks" it moves it to exactly where I want it 17:04:630

Happy for you to point out what I'm missing,maybe its a setting somewhere of Im not understanding it properly.But Im happy where the notes are.

If it's ticks that causes the notes to move the required amount, then I think you were wanting ticks rather than milliseconds.

Note: if you do use ticks, then the actual amount of shift , if defined in milliseconds, would depend on the tempo of the project were the notes are.  The settings: Preferences | Project | Clock , Ticks per quarter note, will also have an influence on the actual amount of shift.

21 hours ago, bluearrows said:

i want to start it 330 ms earlier,i put 330ms in the nudge settings and nudge left. The note moves to 17:04:559 which is too far,Im thinking it should be at 17:04:630

A tick equals a millisecond only at exactly at 62.5 bpm. Your first post indicated you know the required offset in milliseconds, so  nudging it by milliseconds would be the easiest way to do it. If you want to know how many ticks that's going to be, the formula is:

Ticks = Milliseconds/1000/60 x Tempo x 960   (assuming default 960 PPQ Clock setting)