UVI Workstation won't work in Cakewalk

Ellsworth Hall

Its almost surely some optimization case they are not handling in the plugin GUI. Its not something we could investigate on our end. It could be that they are relying on some DAW specific behavior to update their UI its hard to say. 
After investigating the issue internally if they need any clarifications about Cakewalk behavior they can contact me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Canopus said:

This however I can confirm. Cakewalk seems to have some issues with UVI Workstation which sometimes makes the GUI of the currently loaded soundbank unresponsive in some respects...

I can confirm too. When I load a soundbank the GUI stalls. The workaround for me was clicking on either EFFECTS or ARP tab up in the UVI window and then back to EDIT, then the GUI starts to work as normal. Not sure whether it's a Cakewalk fault, though.

Interesting issues with the GUI. As I said before when I was running the UVI in Sonar X2 in Windows 10 I had NO problems.

Noel, I will share the .cpw file that I was having an issue with later today. I seem to have no problem opening some other old sequences and having the UVI work okay. Will keep opening other .cpw files that used the UVI Workstation and see how they go. 

• Robert Bone changed the title to UVI Workstation wonhttps://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/7490-uvi-workstation-wont-work-in-cakewalk/'t work in Cakewalk

I am running Windows 10 with the latest version of CbB, and UVI Workstation v3.0.5 x64 as a VST2 (I don't see a VST3 installed).

The only UVI soundbank I have is Digital Synsations, and it functions correctly in a fresh new .cwp project.

I have problem with GUI UVI Workstation 3.0.5 x64 VST2.0 on Cakewalk 2019.09-70 - Windows 10 Pro 1803 / 17137.137 x64
Video - Radeon RX580
CPU - Ryzen 2700X
I Have Reaper 5, Cubase 10, Studio One 4.5, Bitwig 3, Waveform 10 - no problem. Problem only in Cakewalk... 😞

This is video about this porblem: https://youtu.be/CbEuBlhjVHM

This is video from Reaper (don`t have this porblem): https://youtu.be/59hhm5tTpBA

I have Banks from UVI:
- Attack EP88 - work fine (+).
- Digital Synsation (+)
- Drum Designer (-) have problem
- Meteor (-)
- PX V8 (-)
- SSweepMachine (+)
- Whoosh FX (-)

Edited by Zirrex

That’s exactly the behaviour I have experienced as well.

Just my added two cents: all UVI soundbanks use a superset of the LUA script language for their GUI. Could it be that CbB somehow is blocking mouse click information from reaching the plug-in? I mean, when you press a key on the keyboard, CbB normally intercepts that keypress regardless if the plug-in has focus or not (just press “P” with a plug-in open to see what I’m mean).

Could it be that Cakewalk somehow under certain circumstances intercepts and steers away mouse clicks as well?

22 minutes ago, abacab said:

Could it be an issue within the scripting of certain UVI soundbanks, rather than a general issue with the UVI Workstation plug-in?

in other DAW work fine - all soundbanks, why? Problem only in Cakewalk.
But...
I run Falcon... in Falcon I can load soundbanks like in UVI Workstations and now I don`t have problem... 🙂 This is interesting... 

Video on Falcon: https://youtu.be/scoL0aLjTP8

I wrote to UVI technical support...

Edited by Zirrex

Beatbox Anthology 2 seems to do this for me as well in Cakewalk but not in Cubase 10, reaper, Rapid Composer, and VSTHost.  Does seem to be more of a Cakewalk problem at this point.  I'm pretty sure this used to work though since when I got BA2 I used it in Cakewalk and certainly don't remember any problems.  But that was several zillion updates to Cakewalk and UVI workstation ago.

2 hours ago, Zirrex said:

I have Banks from UVI:

- Attack EP88 - work fine (+).
- Digital Synsation (+)
- Drum Designer (-) have problem
- Meteor (-)
- PX V8 (-)
- SSweepMachine (+)
- Whoosh FX (-)

One aspect of your list that I find intriguing is that the three soundbanks that does work (Attack EP88, Digital Synsations and Sweep Machine) are all older soundbanks, while the rest that doesn’t work (Drum Designer, Meteor PX V8 and Whoosh FX) are newer ones. Matthew mentioned that Beatbox Anthology 2 doesn't work and that's also a fairly new soundbank. To the list of failures I can add both Key Suite Acoustic and Key Suite Electric, both of which were released earlier this year.

Quite possibly UVI have changed the page navigation script in more recent soundbanks and that change for some unknown reason doesn’t work well inside CbB.

Not that it means much but I just uninstalled UVI Workstation 3.0.5 and installed 3.0.4 (I still had the installer).  It works fine with BA2 in Cakewalk!

I don't have any way to easily roll Cakewalk back to test 3.0.5 with previous Cakewalk.  No clue who should really fix this, but clearly something in UVI changed, breaking these newer fancy instruments.  Perhaps something in Cakewalk changed as well.

1 hour ago, Canopus said:

One aspect of your list that I find intriguing is that the three soundbanks that does work (Attack EP88, Digital Synsations and Sweep Machine) are all older soundbanks, while the rest that doesn’t work (Drum Designer, Meteor PX V8 and Whoosh FX) are newer ones. Matthew mentioned that Beatbox Anthology 2 doesn't work and that's also a fairly new soundbank. To the list of failures I can add both Key Suite Acoustic and Key Suite Electric, both of which were released earlier this year.

Quite possibly UVI have changed the page navigation script in more recent soundbanks and that change for some unknown reason doesn’t work well inside CbB.

For me the soundbanks with stalled GUI are Acousticsamples GD-6 and Strategy. No idea how old are they.

I asked technical support to read this forum. Maybe it will help them solve the problem.
They offered me the following solution, but it did not help.

Can you please delete the following key in the Windows registry then re-install UVI Workstation and let me know if it works better in Cakewalk?HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/com.uvisoundsource/UVIWorkstation
I also invite you to check if there are any Windows Updates available for your system.

Hmmm... I'm finding that while other projects load the UVI fine I still can't use the other edit parameters in Synth Anthology 2 besides OSC. As I noted before when I click on the other edit menus, EDIT, STEP, LFO etc. nothing happens. So it's still not working quite right. At least it plays the loaded sounds properly.

EDIT - I think someone else mentioned this - if I click on the Edit or Effects buttons to the right of the Part number THEN the edit parameters work. Weird, but a workaround.

Edited by Ellsworth Hall
updated info

This thread prompted to check out my copy of UVI Workstation in CbB

Firstly I opened an existing project - the GUI keyboard worked but UVIW didn't respond to midi key presses from my controller - I tried playing the track directly and also via a midi track routed to UVIW - neither worked. I closed CbB  opened a new project and inserted a midi track & UVIW - again no response from UVIW. In both projects the midi meter was showing input from the controller. Very strange - any ideas?

Also I looked to see if there was an update button anywhere on the UVIW VSTi or standalone and couldn't find one - how do you update to latest version? Mine is 3.0.0. I don't use it that often to be honest but it would be good to solve the problems and have the latest version.

Cheers

I had not realized how old my version was.  I just went to the UVI site and downloaded the UVI Workstation installer, and ran it.  Now running the newest version - thanks to all for helping me to realize I had forgotten about checking for updates to this.  Kewlness

Bob Bone