UVI Workstation won't work in Cakewalk

Ellsworth Hall

I had Sonar X2 on my old machine and the UVI Workstation worked fine as a plug in.

Now in Cakewalk by Bandlab, the plug-in loads (gives no error messages) but won't play any sounds either via the sequence or the virtual keyboard. I did get the new version of the UVI, but neither the old version nor the new work in Cakewalk bt Bandlab. I run Synth Anthology 2 in the UVI Workstation but also have some Falcon presets as well. They won't work either. If I hit the different buttons for various edit functions in SA2, nothing happens so something is screwed up.

However, the UVI Workstation DOES run in standalone mode and plays just fine via a MIDI controller. It plays both the Synth Anthology 2 and Falcon sounds. So it seems to be an issue with Cakewalk. As I said, my old Sonar X2 had no problems with the UVI.

All my other plug-ins work, IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonik 2, VB3, M-Tron Pro, Minimogue, etc.

Wow, the legendary Craig Anderton is responding to my post! Cool!

I have the Synth Anthology 2 instruments in the same location as my old machine -  C:\Program Files\UVI SoundBanks\*.ufs

The UVI Workstation in Cakewalk loads the sounds (or appears to) but they won't play. I didn't get error messages in the UVI stating the sounds couldn't be loaded or found.

The sounds will load and play in the standalone version but maybe the pointer in the VST version isn't pointing to the Sound Banks properly? I'll have to check that. 

One other thing I mentioned was that the UVI Workstation in Cakewalk is screwy in that I can't access the other edit functions if I want to edit synth parameters. The buttons/tabs are there for the deeper edit functions but when I click on them nothing happens. Which leads me to believe Cakewalk is not hosting the UVI workstation properly.

Edited by Ellsworth Hall

2 hours ago, Ellsworth Hall said:

.... I have the Synth Anthology 2 instruments in the same location as my old machine -  C:\Program Files\UVI SoundBanks\*.ufs

Those are the UVI soundbanks, not the VST instrument, which is a DLL file.  (The DLL file should be in the same folder and scanned with your other VSTs). Download the latest UVI workstation installer from here:

https://www.uvi.net/en/instruments/uvi-workstation.html#download

I have UVI Workstation, and the Synth Legacy sound bank, and this works just fine in Cakewalk.

Please check your routing assignments in Cakewalk, for the midi track as well as the audio track.  Further, make sure you are either using the default midi channel 1 for the midi track and for UVI Workstation, OR make sure the channels match in the midi track's Midi Output Channel setting and the midi channel in UVI Workstation.

Do you see midi activity on the midi track, when playing notes on your physical midi controller?  (you will not see activity if playing on the keyboard in UVI Workstation).  If not, then make sure your midi controller can play other synths in Cakewalk - perhaps the USB connection moved to a different port, in which case you have to deselect the midi controller in Preferences, restart, then select the midi controller again in Preferences, as a Midi Input Device.

Bob Bone

JonD, thanks for your response. Yes I know about the .dll. It's in the proper VST folder and Cakewalk scans and finds it. The UVI Workstation .dll is found by Cakewalk and loads the plug-in (saying no errors). But it doesn't work properly within Cakewalk. The standalone does.

Robert Bone, glad it works for you in Cakewalk. Used to work for me in Sonar X2. The MIDI channels match up, I had loaded a previous sequence that used the UVI and the Cakewalk channels were set to match how they were on the UVI Workstation. When I play my MIDI controller I get no response, no activity. As I said, I can play other VSTs fine in Cakewalk. In fact, in the aforementioned sequence I loaded I had both the Miroslav Philharmonik 2and UVI VSTs loaded and the MP2 tracks play (and can be played from my MIDI controller) but the UVI tracks cannot.

Edited by Ellsworth Hall

Hi Noel,

It'sshowing it's a VST2. So that's why it ran okay in Sonar X2. I get MIDI input showing in the track when I hit the keys of my controller (the little "volume" meters in the track) but no response from the UVI Workstation. Checked the MIDI channels, all match up. As I said, my Miroslav Philharmonik is set up in the same sequence (.cwp file) and it responds just fine to both the playback and MIDI controller.

Also, the edit buttons on the left aren't working. If I try and leave the OSC screen by clicking on EDIT or STEP or LFO  it does nothing. Which leads me to suspect Cakewalk is not hosting the VST properly. I've checked the SoundBanks search path and that's fine (work okay in the standalone). So it's not that it doesn't "see" the sounds. In fact as you see in the screen shot, it loaded them (I have two loaded in Part 1 and 2).

1 hour ago, Ellsworth Hall said:

Also, the edit buttons on the left aren't working. If I try and leave the OSC screen by clicking on EDIT or STEP or LFO  it does nothing. Which leads me to suspect Cakewalk is not hosting the VST properly. I've checked the SoundBanks search path and that's fine (work okay in the standalone). So it's not that it doesn't "see" the sounds. In fact as you see in the screen shot, it loaded them (I have two loaded in Part 1 and 2).

Quite strange - I had mentioned that it is working on my system, because it would rule out the issue being something generically wrong with Cakewalk.  That it is working on my system would point to some local condition on your computer as being the likely cause of this issue.

What version of Windows are you running?

Are you up to date with Windows system maintenance?

Have you tried setting up a new project in Cakewalk, and then loading up an instance of UVI Workstation?  (in case the other project is having issues)

In your project, is the Input Echo On button lit, for the midi track connected to the UVI Workstation instance?

Is the associated audio track(s) pointing properly to pick up the audio output from the UVI Workstation instance?

Since midi activity shows up when you trigger notes from your midi controller, for the midi track that points to the UVI Workstation instance, if you arm that midi track for recording, and initiate recording you playing notes on the midi controller, is Cakewalk displaying  the captured midi data after you stop recording, in the Track Pane?

If midi data is being recorded by Cakewalk, does it look OK when you examine it when you view that midi track's data in Event List?

Bob Bone

I'm running Windows 10, Build 17763.

I just created a new project and opened UVI Workstation and loaded a Synth Anthology 2 patch. IT WORKS!

So you're right - some issue with that project I called up (Diverti.cwp) although the other VST work fine in it. ????? Go figure - There were 2 tracks routed to the UVI so I guess I'll have to reassign to some other VST or import the MIDI data into a new project that can load the UVI.

Thanks for your help, Robert!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ellsworth Hall said:

I just created a new project and opened UVI Workstation and loaded a Synth Anthology 2 patch. IT WORKS!

So you're right - some issue with that project I called up (Diverti.cwp) although the other VST work fine in it. ????? Go figure - There were 2 tracks routed to the UVI so I guess I'll have to reassign to some other VST or import the MIDI data into a new project that can load the UVI.

Glad to help - and that you didn't end up having to try all kinds of time-consuming things to get it working again.  You can do copy/paste operations to populate midi tracks from the troubled project to  a new project, that seems the most expedient way.  Just open a new project while you are in the troubled one, and you can select all the midi clips from each midi track, do a copy - grabbing markers and meter/tempo changes, and paste into the new project.  Same with audio tracks.  That should get you all populated and then you just need to load up any synth instances and of course set up tracks and routing assignments and such, but it should be pretty straight forward.

Also, I seem to be running Windows Pro Version 1903 Build 18362, so there might well be some maintenance out there you can apply to Windows.

WAHOO to you working again! :)

Bob Bone

Great that you’ve got it working. FWIW, I have never had any sound related problems using UVI Workstation or UVI Falcon in CbB.

3 hours ago, Ellsworth Hall said:

Also, the edit buttons on the left aren't working. If I try and leave the OSC screen by clicking on EDIT or STEP or LFO  it does nothing. Which leads me to suspect Cakewalk is not hosting the VST properly.

This however I can confirm. Cakewalk seems to have some issues with UVI Workstation which sometimes makes the GUI of the currently loaded soundbank unresponsive in some respects, most often when clicking on page navigation buttons such as those in your left-hand menu. Using the latest version of CbB under Windows 10, I have tested the same version of Workstation and the same soundbanks in both Cubase 9.5 and Studio One 3.5 and none of them seems to have this problem. This makes me believe that it is indeed a bug related to CbB. This issue has also previously been reported on this forum, e.g here.

I might add that there’s a workaround for this particular bug: if you click one of the EDIT, EFFECTS or ARP tabs at the top of the Workstation GUI, the lack of GUI response when trying to switch pages in a soundbank seems to disappear. Well, at least until you open it next time.

Edited by Canopus
Canopus' Law: The last spelling error is never detected until you have pressed the Send buttton.

2 hours ago, Ellsworth Hall said:

@Ellsworth Hall Can you share that project file so we can take a look at it?

21 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

The GUI responsiveness issues you mention would be something the plugin vendor needs to address. We don't have any control of how responsive a plugin is. It sounds like something they need to optimize in their code so I suggest that you contact their support with the issue.

I did report it to UVI in March 2019 when I experienced this exact problem using their then latest soundbank Key Suite Acoustic. Back then I still used Windows 7 and being away from home at the time and not having Cubase or Studio One installed on my laptop, I had nothing to compare with. Although their support was very helpful, our joint conclusion at the time was that it probably was a Windows 7 issue and as UVI hadn’t officially supported Windows 7 for quite some time the support ticket was eventually closed.

Unfortunately, I experience the same behaviour in Windows 10. Only in CbB though, not in Cubase or Studio One. Although this is a bit strange, I don’t doubt that you’re correct when stating that this kind of problem lies solely on the VST manufacturer. So maybe I should raise another ticket at UVI, this time stating that it also occurs in Windows 10.

• Robert Bone changed the title to UVI Workstation wonhttps://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/7490-uvi-workstation-wont-work-in-cakewalk/'t work in Cakewalk