Can't bounce tracks

Bandlab

mmm, poor choice of username, sorry. Don't seem to be able to change it now.

I want to use Cakewalk to take a stereo stream from a virtual cable, bounce L&R to separate tracks (or combine them into one), apply some EQ then pan to one side and pass them to a stereo output.

I think I should be able to do this using  "Bounce tracks..." from the "Tracks" pulldown, but it is greyed out. Does anyone know why? I saw an old post saying the record metronome can disable bounce tracks, so I disabled the metronome, but still no dice.

Any pointers appreciated.

16 minutes ago, Bandlab said:

Yeah, I think so. The track number is highlighted in orange - that means the track is selected, right?

Yes indeed.

1 hour ago, Bandlab said:

I want to use Cakewalk to take a stereo stream from a virtual cable

Whats the virtual cable ? Virtual audio cable software ? ?

Edited by Chuck E Baby

29 minutes ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Yes indeed.

Whats the virtual cable ? Virtual audio cable software ? ?

Yep, VB-Cable. The audio is coming into Cakewalk OK, it's just that I combine the channels and output them the way I want.

27 minutes ago, Chuck E Baby said:

And you are navigating to the menu by route of...

Click the Track view Tracks menu and choose Bounce to Track(s) to open the Bounce to Track(s) dialog box.

Yes, track view is enabled - there are a few tabs over the track window (assuming that's the one which has the tracks laid out above each other, not side by side) and one of the them is labelled "Tracks". When I click on that tab, I get a pull-down menu and the third command down is "Bounce Track(s)..." but it is greyed out.

The Wipe, Copy and Show All commands are also greyed out, if that helps.

Confused...

Technically, it should probably be possible to to bounce only real-time audio input with Fast Bounce disabled, but it seems Cakewalk will not give you the option  if nothing in the selection has existing audio or soft synth source to render.

I found that you can fool it into giving you the bounce dialog by recording a short clip of any source, and muting that clip or muting the take lane. Then bounce as usual with Fast bounce disabled, and Live Input enabled.

That said, since the bounce will have to be real time in any case, you might as well just set up aux tracks to route and process the left and right signals as desired, arm the final target track, and record it.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1

Yes bounce requires some track data before it will activate. The only way you can bounce realtime audio inputs is by using the realtime bounce.

There is an alternative however. Route all the tracks or buses that you want to capture to an Aux track and arm and record that aux track.
See the description for Record Multiple Tracks to a Single Track in the Aux Track documentation.

This will record to an Aux track and you should then be able to drag out that clip to the desktop when you are done.