Midi behaving weird

Leighton Cooper

Question

I did some recording in cakewalk and I am using timewarp 2600 and recrded a midi base line on the 4th spot .   but when I play it back ,  pushed onto the 2nd track is the selection of the instrument.  and that needs to be switched on to hear the 4th spot.  I've enclosed a picture.  Why is this?

Cakewalk Midi issue paint.png

14 answers to this question

I am guessing "4th spot" means track 4

and "pushed onto the 2nd track is the selection of the instrument" means the output drop down in track 2 is set to the plug-in used in track 4.

2 hours ago, MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve) said:

how did you add it (e.g., simple instrument, etc.)?

Notice the icon and I/O settings in track 4

xgbji63.png

the default instrument track icon, the input is set to All Inputs Omni and the output is routed to the master bus. These are pretty good indications track 4 is an instrument track.

My guess is track 2 output is assigned to the same plug-in as track 4 because it is the only valid MIDI output available to the project.

• Like 1

Is it common to directly run your keyboard output into the computer directly?  or Should you run it into a mixer first?  I have been unable to record audio from my controller by running it directly.  Any ideas, when I go to select my front mike , nothing is recorded in the audio track.  

Is timewarp 2600 a soft synth? If so, how did you add it (e.g., simple instrument, etc.)? Just a guess, but possibly you have both an instrument track and a midi track for the soft synth.  If that's what it is, I do that intentionally. Look to see if the midi track directs the output to the instrument track.

timewarp 2600 is a VST

i assume "base line" means "bass line"

don't know what "the 4th spot" means

don't know what "when I play it back ,  pushed onto the 2nd track is the selection of the instrument" means

don't know what the image is supposed to be showing

more specific info/accurate description required! :)

10 hours ago, MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve) said:

Look to see if the midi track directs the output to the instrument track.

I still say I was on the right track.  😉

image.png

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to clarify intent of the text related to the enlargement of Track/Slot 2

6 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

4th track, we think

Two bits says its as easy as 1-2-3-4:

image.png

UPDATE: When I replied, I had thought that Track 2 [slot 2] was a midi track that was directed at the 2600 clone vst and that Track 4 [slot 4] was a soft synth track. I recreated a version with a different 2600 clone vst and posted a marked up screen shot to show relationships between midi and audio in Tracks 2 & 4, but in the explanation used terminology inconsistent with how others use terminology. 

Although essentially an accurate representation of (1) the midi levels showing on the Track/Slot 2 meters and (2) the audio showing on the Track/Slot 4 meters adjacent to  the recorded midi data, with the explanation removed, the marked up screen shot seemed out of place. 

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to remove (1) an explanation with some wrong words used and (2) an otherwise accurate marked up screen shot

2 hours ago, MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve) said:

soft synth track = instrument +  midi track.

This is incorrect.

There are two basic types of tracks

• Audio
  • MIDI

An instrument track is a hybrid track made up from one MIDI track and one audio track - displaying the input controls of its underlying MIDI track and the output controls of its audio track.

Instrument tracks do not expose all of the features found in separate MIDI and audio tracks. To gain access to these features the instrument track must be split to reveal the underlying MIDI and audio tracks.

It is also possible to create an instrument track from the MIDI and audio tracks that point to a soft synth as long as there is only one MIDI track and one audio track pointing the synth.

While additional audio and MIDI tracks may point to a plug-in being served by an instrument track; it is better to avoid using instrument tracks when using more than one audio+MIDI pair.

So, the basic routing for a soft synth using a single MIDI stream and single audio output is either:

• A MIDI track and an audio track or
  • An instrument track
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone I have been rolling with Cake today.  Did a midi track, converted to an audio track.

Did an audio track of the Casio CT-x 3000 Electric Piano and Piano

Did a track and used the Cakewalk keyboard as a modulaiton wheel (worked)

I'll make a template to guide newbies and submit it.  Thanks so much

• Like 1

S Cook Thanks yeah that makes sense.  I remember when I was exposed to the Amiga DR T's Keyboard Sequenceer Level II They always had the input default to the last open track and I really had no exposure to the difference between audio and midi.  I struggled for weeks to figure it out only to keep being confused.  The manuals are not written the way people do it now.   But for sequencers that was a very creative time.