Remove Wind Noise

RobWS

Is there audio other than wind noise you want to keep and emphasize above the level of the wind noise? If so, is the wind noise consistent or does it fluctuate quite a bit? 

I am not an audio restoration expert, though I have played around with various basic noise reduction techniques for personal projects  (tape noise, AC humm/buzz, etc.) . The closest thing that might be similar to what you are trying to do was elevating the audio spectrum of birds above background/environmental sounds.  For that task, I used filtering--because most of the bird sounds were in a higher frequency range. I used a different type of filtering for reducing hum.  I am sure there are other techniques, but it depends on what's on the audio track that you want to elevate about the wind.

Hmmmm. One time I made a background track (for an improvisation) that had the sound of raking leaves and other natural environmental sounds (trucks going by, garage door closing, dogs barking, etc.). I vaguely recall inverting the audio, adding them together with some modifications (not 100% cancellation), and somehow layering a track with emphasized raking (and other sounds) on top of the original so as to emphasize those sounds.  I seem to recall adding some selective doubling so ask to psychologically mask the background.

Just some ideas that might or might not be relevant, depending on what audio you have and what you want to do.

Reafir is part of the free Reaplugs bundle, and  I found it quite effective it is once I got the hang of it.

It's a little bit tricky at first to get the analysis profile, but just follow the instructions, and if you don't get a good one, try again.

I've not used it on ambient noise like wind, but I've used it on buzz, hum, and hiss from microphones and it got them dead quiet without molesting the program material.

I have been working with ReaFir now and find it takes a bit of getting used to, but fun to work with.  My situation with the noise appears to be too intense for ReaFir to fix, but I have been able to tame it a bit.  It almost works like a multi-band gate.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I will continue to use it in the future as needed.