My Lenses Default changed { SOLVED }

kennywtelejazz

After updating CBB a few days ago I was surprised to see another  new update ..I download it earlier today   and let it sit for a few hours because I had things to do in my day to day  .

About an hour ago I decided to do some music in Cakewalk and my whole GUI looked pretty sparse . I was like what happened here .LOL

My GUI  had no transport including all the upper tool bars I had always been accustomed to seeing in the Cakewalk GUI .

I got pretty desperate there for a moment yet somehow I managed to get a more familiar to me GUI back up in Cakewalk  ...I had to set Lenses to Advanced to  get my old GUI back 

I wonder did I miss some sort of feature notification ?

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

16 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

After updating CBB a few days ago I was surprised to see another  new update ..I download it earlier today   and let it sit for a few hours because I had things to do in my day to day  .

About an hour ago I decided to do some music in Cakewalk and my whole GUI looked pretty sparse . I was like what happened here .LOL

My GUI  had no transport including all the upper tool bars I had always been accustomed to seeing in the Cakewalk GUI .

I got pretty desperate there for a moment yet somehow I managed to get a more familiar to me GUI back up in Cakewalk  ...I had to set Lenses to Advanced to  get my old GUI back 

I wonder did I miss some sort of feature notification ?

Kenny

I am not sure about your issue, but I did discover that (as stated*) the updated Basic lens (factory lens) has been changed.  So, if you try Basic (factory lens), it forces a theme. If you have not saved the theme in your custom lens, that is, if the lens doesn't reload your theme-of-choice, from my experience, it will start with the theme loaded by the new Basic lens.

I am by no means an expert with lenses; though I have played around with them. Maybe your issues are based on what features and settings have been saved with your lenses.  Also, I have found that different projects with different screenshots can be confusing when combines with custom lenses--esp. when multiple projects are open (e.g., multiple floating browsers, soft synths, etc.)

UPDATE: This is no longer accurate because of new information about the Basic lens. (See post immediately below.)

Steve

* from 2019.09 Features & Enhancements: "Updated ‘Basic’ Lens that provides a cleaner and simplified layout. "

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to take into account the following post
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Hi guys,

Yes the Basic lens was updated so if you were using the stock one it would have changed. The theme being forced with the Basic lens was an oversight. That has been fixed in the latest hotfix.

Oh.  I thought it was an intentional strategy so that beginners could use the Basic lens and it would look the same for everyone,  avoid confusion, and have a theme, look, and feel that was competitive with other DAWs.  Thanks for the clarification.

Since I have my custom theme saved in my custom lenses, it wasn't an issue for me. After seeing what others saw with the factory lenses (to understand comments better), I'd just switch to one of mine. To clarify: any time I tried it, the Basic lens did not lock me out of switching to other lenses or using my custom lenses.

But I definitely see the logic in not forcing the theme in the Basic lens.

Thank You Noel ! for chiming in and clearing this up . As I said I did get desperate there for a while trying to figure out what was going on .

FWIW , I'm actually happy this happened . I wound up poking around with the Lenses feature (something I never used )., 

Once I got a little familiar w Lenses   I realized that  the current lenses   in Cakewalk are something I had been asking for for years as a Cakewalk feature  ... ( Doh ) lol

Samplitude had a feature I really liked where you could you could set the GUI to various preset environments to keep the tools and the GUI uncluttered  .

I haven't used Samplitude in a long while ..

It is nice to see Cakewalk has that type of feature since Cakewalk by Bandlab is doing everything and then some for me at this point .

I am so grateful  to the Cakewalk Team !   Keep up the good work  .

Thank you

all the best,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1