What A Difference!

Johnbee58

Revisiting this thread: https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/6922-cpu-performance-meter/

Today I took my music PC to a local PC repair guy and he upgraded the memory from 8 to 16 GB and the difference was WOW!!   When I got it home I ran 9 plugin instruments which would've KILLED the system on 8 GB and ran the performance meter up to about 76%.  With 16GB the 9 plugins hit about 32 % usage and didn't burp at all.  Also, plugins like Kontakt Player and Trilian Bass loaded much faster.  The tech put in 2 4 gig sticks added to the original 1 8 gig stick so I still have a free slot but for right now it's like having a new computer!!

Oh, BTW-my PC tech, who has his shop about 3 blocks from my home has a plaque on his wall that looks like a Platinum record with a Platinum CD where the label would be and it's autographed by Taylor Swift.  This is Reading PA and Taylor grew up here.  I asked him if he knew Taylor and he said he was her first guitar teacher.  The dude's also into home recording/songwriting but uses a Mac (he mentioned Garage Band).  He said he used to use Sonar years ago, but not recently.  When I told him about CbB he was surprised about the takeover from Gibson.  His shop is somewhat of a museum of old recording gear.  He has a vintage Teac 3340s 4 track reel to reel among other bits of old classic gear.

Small world!

🙂

Edited by Johnbee58
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, John said:

Wait till you have 32 GB or 64 GB. And a 12 to 24 core CPU running at 5 GHz. 😁

The tech told me my PC has the capacity to go to 32 gigs.  I might expand further later on but for now I just want to see what 16 can do and I'm impressed with even that much.

🙂JB

• Like 1