SONAR STRANGE BEHAVIOUR-FREEZES

Marcos Kleine

Hi people!
After the last update Sonar Freezes everytime i open a project, without plugins or tracks or with plugins and recorded tracks. 
The strange thing is that if i close the software and open again this problem disappear.
If i reboot the machine, open Sonar, there is the same thing happening. Have to close, open and everything works ok.
I am using the AXE I/O as sound card..

Any ideas? Anyone else with the same nightmare? ehehe

Regards

Kleine

Hi @Marcos Kleine,

Firstly, thanks for sending your dump file, it makes it easy to locate the source of the problem. I looked at it and the issue is not related to this Cakewalk update. Its appears to be a hang in the Microsoft GS WaveTable synth which you have selected as the MIDI output device. I have tried that device recently and found it to be very unstable. I ran into that exact same hang after stopping and starting playback multiple times. The hang occurs when Cakewalk is sending a MIDI message to the device as indicated below. The device goes unresponsive and hangs the application.

To solve your problem, don't use the GS WaveTable synth. You can try using TTS1 which is a GS synth as well.
Also one clarification. Are you using WASAPI or ASIO?

I will forward this information to Microsoft in case its something on their radar.

ntdll.dll!NtWaitForAlertByThreadId()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!RtlpWaitOnAddressWithTimeout()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!RtlpWaitOnAddress()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!RtlpWaitOnCriticalSection()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!RtlpEnterCriticalSectionContended()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!RtlEnterCriticalSection()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     wdmaud.drv!CWasapiRenderer::GetCursors(__int64 *,unsigned __int64 *,__int64 *,unsigned __int64 *)    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     wdmaud.drv!CMicrosoftGSWavetableSynth::GetTimeNow(__int64 *)    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     wdmaud.drv!CMicrosoftGSWavetableSynth::SendMIDIEvent(struct MIDI_TIMESTAMP *,unsigned int,struct MIDI_TIMESTAMP *)    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     wdmaud.drv!SwModMessage()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     wdmaud.drv!dspsL()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     WINMMBASE.dll!midiMessage()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     WINMMBASE.dll!midiOutShortMsg()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
>    Cakewalk.exe!CMidiOutHardware::Send(unsigned long dwMsg, int nEventBus) Line 224    C++    Symbols loaded.
     [Inline Frame] Cakewalk.exe!CMidiOutDev::Send(int) Line 217    C++    Symbols loaded.
     Cakewalk.exe!sendResets(CMidiOutDev & dev, int nPort, int bResetOnlyBasic) Line 4265    C++    Symbols loaded.
     Cakewalk.exe!CTransport::zeroControllers() Line 4302    C++    Symbols loaded.

• Like 1

Hi All

Noel let me know about this issue. (Thanks @Noel Borthwick )

@Marcos Kleine which OS and version are you running? (If Windows 10, go to Settings->System->About to get that info).

@Johnbee58 same Q for you. I'm curious to know why it works for you and not Marcos. Have you tried Noel's approach and found it to still work?

Before I can get this in front of the team, I need to figure out if this is an issue that was always there vs. something new, so if anyone else can repro on older versions of Windows 10 and/or 8.x and/or 7, that would be incredibly helpful.

To be frank, the GS wavetable synth isn't the best thing to use to make music with. It's in the OS mainly for compatibility, but the sounds are super dated and the latency is pretty high. Personally, I'd like to see it go away, but we have this thing about backwards compatibility. :)

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks @Pete Brown 
As Pete says indicates that device isn't really designed to be used inside DAW's. Its mainly for playing back MIDI files in Windows and such.
Also the GS synth and WASAPI don't play together well when the DAW is using WASAPI mode (thats why I asked)

According to the dump file the user is running 10.0.14393

I don't think Johnbee58 was running with the GS synth. He just commented that it wasnt hanging for him lol.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Pete Brown 

I don't think Johnbee58 was running with the GS synth. He just commented that it wasnt hanging for him lol.

Right.  I was responding to the OP's question as to if anybody else was having issues with CbB on start up.  I had none, even after performing the latest update (10/9).  I don't use GS synth, but rather the drivers that came with my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface.

🙂JB

• Like 1