CWBBL and EastWest Sounds PLAY issues ...

Zoltan G. Zeisky

It seems that since the last several updates of Cakewalk by Bandlab and EW Play player I have been getting crashes of CWBBL.  It will play older projects with the EastWest Sounds Play tracks, but when I try to pull up the Play track properties to make adjustment on the instruments or try to add a new Synthesizer Play track, CWBBL pops up and error and closes. The stand alone Play functions as usual, only the plug-in VST3 has this issue. Where do I turn with this? The current versions of EW Play is 6.1.3, and CWBBL is 2019.09 (Build 68, 64 bit). Thanks for any help you can give. Zeisky

PS. Did not find anything in Cakewalk Minidump

21 minutes ago, Zoltan G. Zeisky said:

It seems that since the last several updates of Cakewalk by Bandlab and EW Play player I have been getting crashes of CWBBL.  It will play older projects with the EastWest Sounds Play tracks, but when I try to pull up the Play track properties to make adjustment on the instruments or try to add a new Synthesizer Play track, CWBBL pops up and error and closes. The stand alone Play functions as usual, only the plug-in VST3 has this issue. Where do I turn with this? The current versions of EW Play is 6.1.3, and CWBBL is 2019.09 (Build 68, 64 bit). Thanks for any help you can give. Zeisky

PS. Did not find anything in Cakewalk Minidump

If a minidump is not being generated automatically, you can create one in Windows. Details on this can be found here:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013262/How-to-collect-a-Minidump-file-when-your-Cakewalk-program-crashes

Jonathan, hi ...   I could not find any minidump files of current date, not that Windows 10  generated one as suggested in that link.  However  I did discover something. When inserting a NEW Instrument track with EW PLAY .. I noticed that I have two places with PLAY listed as the plug-in ... both in VST2 and VST3 .. the VST2 WORKS .. the VST3 selection bombs out CWBBL. Evidently when a new plug-in scan is initiated as when new plug-ins are added, it puts both VST2 and 3 into the list. What is strange, that I think I had that before and it did not fail to load. The VST3 old tracks from PLAY load properly it's when I try to bring up it's properties it closes CW.

Cakewalk Error VST3.gif

If you go to Task Manager when you're seeing that dialog, you can generate a dump file that you can send us that will provide a bit more information. This link has better info on that:

If both the VST2 and 3 are installed, its not unusual to see both unless you specifically have the option to hide related VST2 plugins in the Preferences. Is the "replace if possible" option there also enabled? 

Ok .. I think I was able to get the dump file (forced) but was not able to view it since I did not have anything on Win 10 Pro to read .DMP file extensions. It made me download some Windows Driver Kit files.. it's in the process of installing those. I can attach the .dmp file here is you wish.  Meantime, EW Sound replied back to me to delete anything and everything related to PLAY and reinstall.  I have not finished with that yet.

Where do you wish me to look at Preferences .. In CWBBL?  There is an Options also in the plug-in manages scanner. By the way, that dump file is HUGE .. over 1GB it won't let me upload it!  LOL  How can it be THAT BIG?!

@Zoltan G. Zeisky the dump file is for us to diagnose. You won't be able to analyze it on your end.
Dumps from task manager are not minidumps but are full memory dumps so if you have lots of RAM it can be large. If you zip the file it will get a lot smaller. Then upload it to any file sharing service like google drive or dropbox and PM me a link.

About 2 months ago now, I helped a friend with this issue, and after a LOT of effort to diagnose and fix, it turns out it had been the result of leftover file remnants of some old version of Play, that were causing the issues - as Play was updated, the old residual 'stuff' tripped the crashing.

After I had exhausted all options I could come up with, making sure all was at current maintenance levels, checking for Windows corruption, doing an Install In Place of Windows 10, looking for and trying various things to try - pulled from the internet, etc., the issues were finally resolved after getting into an online chat with EastWest technical support.  We did a Team Viewer session, and the tech support guy was winging around in my friend's system, looking at all kinds of stuff.

Eventually, he found and deleted, some manner of old leftover version of some file from an earlier version of Play, and whatever that was that he had deleted, once it was gone, everything worked flawlessly again.

I am sorry I do not know exactly what the support guy deleted - but hopefully, with some digging, you can find out if there are any old leftover files from an earlier version of Play, and remove them (or even rename them so you can recover them if desired), maybe this will give you a solution.

If you can't find any old Play files to try to rename/remove, I suggest you login to EastWest account online, and try getting into a support chat session - that took a total of maybe 20 minutes and fixed the issues.  If you DO go that route, I suggest you download and install Team Viewer, (remote Windows session software), as that enabled them to quickly find and resolve the cause of the issues.

Bob Bone

2 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

About 2 months ago now, I helped a friend with this issue, and after a LOT of effort to diagnose and fix, it turns out it had been the result of leftover file remnants of some old version of Play, that were causing the issues - as Play was updated, the old residual 'stuff' tripped the crashing.

After I had exhausted all options I could come up with, making sure all was at current maintenance levels, checking for Windows corruption, doing an Install In Place of Windows 10, looking for and trying various things to try - pulled from the internet, etc., the issues were finally resolved after getting into an online chat with EastWest technical support.  We did a Team Viewer session, and the tech support guy was winging around in my friend's system, looking at all kinds of stuff.

Eventually, he found and deleted, some manner of old leftover version of some file from an earlier version of Play, and whatever that was that he had deleted, once it was gone, everything worked flawlessly again.

I am sorry I do not know exactly what the support guy deleted - but hopefully, with some digging, you can find out if there are any old leftover files from an earlier version of Play, and remove them (or even rename them so you can recover them if desired), maybe this will give you a solution.

If you can't find any old Play files to try to rename/remove, I suggest you login to EastWest account online, and try getting into a support chat session - that took a total of maybe 20 minutes and fixed the issues.  If you DO go that route, I suggest you download and install Team Viewer, (remote Windows session software), as that enabled them to quickly find and resolve the cause of the issues.

Bob Bone

Bob,  I just got a reply from EastWest, and just finished going through their suggested 'clean-up' process.  I am in the process of doing a full plug-in scan in CW, when finished I will get back to you and the others if the problem was solved.  I had issues with Play in the past, when for some reason everytime you clicked on the REVERB ON for any instrument, the sound was horribly distorted.  They eventually solved that issue, but it was a mess.  I ended up using SONITUS reverb and leaving theirs OFF until the problem was finally solved! Thanks for your suggestion. Zoltan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Zoltan G. Zeisky I'm currently working with EastWest to try and get to the bottom of this issue. Can you verify whether you are using both the VST2 and VST3 versions of the plugin simultaneously in the same project?  That is generally not a good idea.

Noel, originally I was using the VST3 plugin, when the issue came up after the several few updates. Just as a hunch, I disabled the VST3 and switched to VST2 and CWBBL worked. Not both type of plugins are or were being used simultaneously. Zoltan

VST3i PLAY EXCLUDED ... (same an UNENABLED)  See attached file.

PLAY VST3i EXCLUDED.jpg

Edited by Zoltan G. Zeisky
Forgot to answer your question .. the error is neither on loading or saving, but when a NEW INSTRUMENT TRACK is requested using PLAY. OR when the existing project PLAY track is working and the properties is requested of that existing track the error comes