Error: [Play] createInstance IComponent

Guy Prentice

I just updated Cakewalk to the most recent update (10/9/19). It will not load my play.vst3 (East/West Sounds), and gives the error message in the title. It had been working fine with previous releases. I deleted and reinstalled the Play software, but still get the error message.  As this library constitutes about 90% of my samples, I'm kind of dead in the water. Any suggestions?

There isn't any rollback on Cakewalk anymore.  You could do it by uninstalling and re-installing if you had the full installer for an older version (which I don't think have ever been made available as easy downloads).  Have you tried rebooting your computer?  Have you tried another DAW?  You may want to update Windows as well, there have been a lot of Window Update patches lately.

Some Play issues after updating, are caused by things left behind from old versions of Play.  I went around and around for many many hours, helping a friend diagnose Play issues crashing Cakewalk following an update to Play, and after getting EastWest technical support involved, using Team Viewer for them to have access to my friend's computer, he found and deleted some leftover old file from an older version of Play, and as soon as he did that, all the issues went away.

When we logged into my friend's EastWest account on their web site, and went to support, the option was available to get into an online chat session with technical support, and then we gave them remote access to the computer, using Team Viewer, and they quickly found and fixed the old file, by simply deleting it.  If you are going to try using their tech support, I suggest you download and install Team Viewer, as they wanted to use that to have the remote access into the computer, to look things over.  By giving them that access, it save a bunch of time, so well worth it.

Bob Bone

• Like 1

Yesterday, I submitted a help ticket with Bandlab. Got a response back that they're aware of the problem and are working with East West.  I don't imagine that's going to be a quick fix, especially if it involves a Play update from EW.  Fortunately, I had just imaged my C drive a week ago, so just did a recovery and I'm now back to the previous update of Cakewalk. Everything is running well.

Thanks to all who responded!

May want to look at Cakewalk Launchpad. The tool makes a usable copy of the currently installed version of CbB. This allows access to multiple versions of CbB. Very handy when situations like this one arise. Make a copy (hotkey K) prior to running the CbB update. Here is a thread about the tool.

14 hours ago, scook said:

May want to look at Cakewalk Launchpad. The tool makes a usable copy of the currently installed version of CbB. This allows access to multiple versions of CbB. Very handy when situations like this one arise. Make a copy (hotkey K) prior to running the CbB update. Here is a thread about the tool.

should be an official product ;)