long notes lose editing function in piano roll

Adam

Hey there,

When I drag out a really long note in piano roll (say, more than 100 bars) the edit functions disappear and I just get a selection icon, but, the resize and move icons are no longer available to me. So, this means, when I create a long midi drone note I can't edit its length.  It's driving me crazy: anybody know a fix? Hopefully it's not a bug and I'm doing something wrong.

cheers,

Adam

• 1 year later...

This issue has been an ongoing problem for me, too.  The only way I can graphically adjust the length of a long note at all is to zoom way out, but then I can't adjust it with the precision I need.  It's still happening in version 2020.11 (Build 088, 64 bit).

I can adjust the length using the Note Properties dialog, but then I have to calculate what the length should be.  That approach would be okay for a note or two once in a while, but I have a lot of these notes.

I found a workaround!

1.  Add a new short temporary note that ends at the same time as the Very Long Note. 
2.  Select both notes, and then you can drag their ends to lengthen or shorten them.  
3.  Delete the temporary note.

Not a perfect solution, but it beats the currently available alternatives.

-- Ed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, EdStauff said:

I found a workaround!

1.  Add a new short temporary note that ends at the same time as the Very Long Note. 
2.  Select both notes, and then you can drag their ends to lengthen or shorten them.  
3.  Delete the temporary note.

Not a perfect solution, but it beats the currently available alternatives.

-- Ed

Creative thinking!