[Solved] Hourglass during editing

Dick Kloosterman

I have since long a problem, that gets worse and worse. Every few editings (two or three) I get an hourglass and Cakewalk remains untouchable during this process of waiting.  I even placed a new SSD, but the problem of freezing and seeing a working hourglass remains the same. Installing CbB again without any improvement.

It is the only application that gives this problem, and as I said it is getting worse all the time. I use other DAW's (Live, Studio One) without any (performance) problems, also with compex projects. There is plenty free space on my both drives, see my equipment below.  In the settings I have put saving every 4 minutes or 10 edits, but whatever I choose there, it makes no difference.

Cakewalk was always working perfect for me, but now it is almost impossible to work with. My PC is really fast, no other problems at all. Never. So I suppose it has something to do with fine tuning or other parameters?

Anyone having an idea how to solve this hourglass and freezing during any edit?

What is your auto-save set to?  If set to a very low number of changes, and you have a big file, it could cause this.

It's in Edit\Preferences\File\Advanced (you'll need to enable Advanced view via the radio button in the preferences window).

Does it happen with small (new) files?  Any disk issues on the drive(s) you're saving too (run chkdsk) that autosave may be exposing?  How long does a "normal" (ctrl-S) save take on these projects?

Thanks to a very quick and professional help from Noel Borthwick my problem is solved. 

I always see the blue message during startup of CbB in the right lower part of the screen that says: loading API 2500 mono.... but this message doesn't disappear so I always just click it away and start working.

I noticed today however in Windows task manager that Cakewalk's 'vst scan' keeps running in the background because of that one Waves plugin. I closed vst scan in the task manager and it seems that my problem is over with the hourglass.

So even if you click the blue small window in CbB away, it still keeps running in the background of the PC if some plugin asks for attention.

Thanks to all of you!

Thanks for sending the dumps and follow up Dick.  A little explanation for others on the thread.

I suspect on Dick's system he may need to do a full rescan since for some reason API2500 is stalling the scan. 
That isn't the source of his issue however.  While a background scan is underway the scanner will periodically (ever 50 plugins or so) communicate with Cakewalk and notify it to refresh its cache of plugins. This is done so that you can immediately start using new plugins even while a scan is underway.
However if you have lots of plugins installed this notification can be expensive since Cakewalk has to reload the plugin inventory which can take a few seconds. During this process the UI can get blocked. This is the freeze that he was encountering periodically since he has over 1500 plugins on the system.

For a subsequent update we'll optimize this so the UI doesn't get blocked by this operation so it wont be an issue anymore.
One more mystery solved :)

• Like 1