SOLVED Cakewalk or Ozone 9 Problem?

Jack Stoner

Just installed the new Ozone 9 (Standard) upgrade.  

I loaded a finished song that I had used Ozone 5 on to test.  As I was scrolling through the Ozone 9 presets (while the song was playing) on the mixed down track both Cakewalk (latest 09 version) and Sonar Platinum aborts and closes.  No diagnostic info - just closes.  

I supposed its an Ozone problem but ?????

My DAW desktop is an i7 6700K with 16GB RAM and an SSD. 

Edited by Jack Stoner

Have you tried different factory presets while a song (or track) is playing?  That's when it will abort.  Might not do it on the first one you select but at some point it will do it.   That's how I originally got the aborts.  I installed Ozone 9, loaded a finished Cakewalk project (song) that I had used Ozone 5 for mastering.  Disabled the 5 plugin and opened Ozone 9, started playing the mix and started trying the presets.    Same thing happened with Studio One 4.5 Pro. 

If I select a preset and then start the song or track there is no problems.  

Its not the recording interfaces as it does it with either my MOTU 4pre or  Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 

8 hours ago, Jack Stoner said:

Have you tried different factory presets while a song (or track) is playing?  That's when it will abort.  Might not do it on the first one you select but at some point it will do it.   That's how I originally got the aborts.  I installed Ozone 9, loaded a finished Cakewalk project (song) that I had used Ozone 5 for mastering.  Disabled the 5 plugin and opened Ozone 9, started playing the mix and started trying the presets.    Same thing happened with Studio One 4.5 Pro. 

If I select a preset and then start the song or track there is no problems.  

Its not the recording interfaces as it does it with either my MOTU 4pre or  Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 

Gave it another whirl, doing what you suggest (which I had done previously), nothing, nada, zip , works fine here.

• Like 1

It won't do it "every time" a preset is switched while playing.  The fact it will also do it with Studio One 4.5 Pro (latest version) says its something other than the DAW.   

Ozone 9 is the only VST I've found that will do this.  I switch presets often when trying one and have not had the problem with any other VST, just Ozone.  I have Ozone 5, 6 and now 9 installed and have only had the problem with 9, although I rarely use 6 so I can't say if it will do it.

I'll have to hold off testing for a while.  I have a (paid client) CD project I'm working on (more recording today).  I'll wait till after the project is completed.

1 hour ago, Jack Stoner said:

I have Ozone 5, 6 and now 9 installed and have only had the problem with 9

Possibly a graphics issue ?

changing presets requires changing the UI. I would check my onboard/graphics card for updates (may require Open GL2).

I would even go as far as turning Windows 10: Ease of Access to its original default. I know it all this sounds like over kill but if you want to figure out the issue, I would go to the extremes.

Ozone does require quite a bit of demand from the graphics, Add that to a moving play head and your asking your system to do a bit of work.

38 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

do you get the crash swapping presets when the project isn't playing?

As previously note, it doesn't happen if a project isn't playing.

UPDATE:  Izotope support asked me to try it with the Standalone application.  I loaded a wav file and played it and started scrolling through presets and after about 15 presets it aborted and closed.  Using the Standalone and playing a wav file uses the PC's audio (Realtek) not a recording interface unit.

In ref to video, I have an AMD Radeon RX950 (with latest drivers) and I disabled that and tried to the Intel i7 6700K CPU Video and did the same thing.  

Ease of Access is at Defaults.  I tried turning off the options but that made no difference.  My Win 10 version is the latest 1903 (with updates).  

It should be reiterated that no other VST (2 or 3) has this issue.  I can load any other (all that I've tried) and scroll through presets while a project is playing and it does not cause the problem.  

As noted, I'll be off of this problem for a while to do a CD project.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Stoner said:

Using the Standalone and playing a wav file uses the PC's audio (Realtek) not a recording interface unit

don't have v9 but i'm pretty sure you can choose the interface in the standalone?

eta, in v7 under the edit menu, under "audio devices" you can select a specific device

Edited by pwalpwal

I finally got a chance to work on the problem. 

1.  Izotope allowed me to install Ozone 9 on a second PC.  Its a laptop that I use for off-site recordings.  It does not do it on that PC (also Win 10 like my Desktop DAW).

2. I tried scrolling through presets while playing a project with Ozone 5 and Ozone 6.  It does not do it with Ozone 5 but it does with Ozone 6.  I've turned this info over to Ozone support and I'll see what they have to say about that.

3.  Known things it (apparently) is not.  (a)  not DAW specific as it does it with both Cakewalk/Sonar and Studio one 4.5 Pro (b) it does it with the Ozone 9 standalone app.  (c) It does it with both my AMD Radeon RX580 and the Intel CPU graphics.  (d) It does it with both the PC audio (Realtek) and with the MOTU 4Pre.  (e) It does not do it with other VST plug-ins.  

On 10/12/2019 at 8:16 PM, Jack Stoner said:

It won't do it "every time" a preset is switched while playing.  The fact it will also do it with Studio One 4.5 Pro (latest version) says its something other than the DAW.   

Ozone 9 is the only VST I've found that will do this.  I switch presets often when trying one and have not had the problem with any other VST, just Ozone.  I have Ozone 5, 6 and now 9 installed and have only had the problem with 9, although I rarely use 6 so I can't say if it will do it.

I'll have to hold off testing for a while.  I have a (paid client) CD project I'm working on (more recording today).  I'll wait till after the project is completed.

I can do it until the cows come home in Studio One and no issues, but whatever.

Edited by ensonced

Do you have the same OS on the two machines? Sometimes these bugs esp if they involve memory corruption can be hellish to track down since they may not show up on one system but show up repeatedly on another. It could also be hardware specific / graphics driver related etc.
I have seen crashes with ozone in prior versions when changing presets but not in this version.