Strange audio engine behaviour in latest version

Dare Rihter

Hi All,

After upgrade to latest version as of BandLab assistant, audio engine began to behave strange. Sometimes stops unexpectedly and the only solution is to exit program and start again. Annoying. Some projects remains "muted" after first succesful start is succesful after cakewalk restart. Instead of starting audio, two "pops" are noticeable and then silence, restart again etc.

Some project with many audio tracks when played plays all muted track also, until one track (no matter which one) is marked for audio feedback. Marked, and even after unmarking works well again, CW respects muted tracks. 

Some other project with kontakt player involved, changes volume of some track at random base, nothing touched, at next playback all is f****-up, i can't see pattern...

OK. It's free and they can afford hiccups like this? Obviously team started massive changes and destabilizing product again now digging into audio engine. Only my problem? I don't believe. Ryzen 2600X, 16G RAM, Win10 Pro, Focusrite Saffire 24 Pro, all worked like charm till last upgrade (with bunch of changes, unfortunatelly obviously fatal for till now almost stable audio engine). I do not care for cosmetics, but destroying heart of DAW, that's not good, my dear BandLab Team...   

No, it's not stable, nor reliable, good commercials aren't enough for good software. Considering changing DAW.

BR, Dare

P.S. This super trouper new Panic button doesn't help either

P.P.S. Celemony stopped working after upgrade with crash, disabled for now, restarted many times etc....

Edited by Dare Rihter
Addition 1

@Dare Rihter,

I can understand your disappointment after reading all the issues you're experiencing.  Sorry you're having so much trouble with the new update.

However, Feedback Loop is the wrong section of the forum to post if you want help to get the program working as advertised.  This (Feedback Loop) section is for users to suggest and discuss future features and enhancements

May I suggest you repost in the Cakewalk by BandLab forum section.  I'm posting a link to that section below.  Also, while you provided your computer specifications you forgot to mention the operating system your computer uses.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/2-cakewalk-by-bandlab/

Edited by Jim Fogle

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Dare Rihter said:

Hi, Bob,

no 32-bit plugins. I decided not to use any of 32 bit plugins, because of different troubles with them in the past (freezing etc).

BR, Dare

Thanks - yeah lots of weird things can happen with 32-bit plugins, whether bridged with the native BitBridge or the 3rd-party J-Bridge - congrats on moving completely over to 64-bit plugins.  (I still have about a half-dozen that continue to work, so I use them, in absence of a 64-bit plugin that replicates their functionality or sound).

Bob Bone

For whatever the worth, sometimes the VST 3 versions of specific plugins have issues - and some folks have reported that swapping those out for their VST 2 version has resulted in things working OK, which generally gets fixed by the maker of the plugins as updates.  Might be worth a quick shot - if you were to try testing that out, you would need to remove the checked box that by default hides VST 2 versions of plugins where a VST 3 version is available.

Bob Bone

Thanks Bob, I'll try this one and give info here, at the time not sure vhich my VSTs have VST3 counterparts. But again, it's strange that all mentioned issues appeared after last two or three upgrades, as of Bandlab assistant. I am Cakewalk believer, conceptually CW is masterpiece of software. But it doesn't help if masterpiece becomes buggy in such amount, that becomes almost unusable and joy using it is transformed into a deep frustration.

P.S. New bug found, export to MP3 in some circumstances results in weird output, some noisy, mainly left channel boosted artefacts similar to that one when i describe muted channels problems. I can attach part od file if anyone wants to hear what is annoying me so much.

BR, Dare

6 hours ago, Dare Rihter said:

Thanks Bob, I'll try this one and give info here, at the time not sure vhich my VSTs have VST3 counterparts. But again, it's strange that all mentioned issues appeared after last two or three upgrades, as of Bandlab assistant. I am Cakewalk believer, conceptually CW is masterpiece of software. But it doesn't help if masterpiece becomes buggy in such amount, that becomes almost unusable and joy using it is transformed into a deep frustration.

P.S. New bug found, export to MP3 in some circumstances results in weird output, some noisy, mainly left channel boosted artefacts similar to that one when i describe muted channels problems. I can attach part od file if anyone wants to hear what is annoying me so much.

BR, Dare

The default in CbB is that the Browser hides VST2 plugins when there is a VST3 version - if you click once on any plugin in the Browser, some info is displayed at the bottom of the Browser pane, I believe that includes whether that plugin is VST2 or VST3 (I do not have it up at the moment, so am basing this on my memory).

I dimly recall some folks having problems exporting audio (from a long while back), when the 64-Bit engine is chosen as an option.  Might be worth trying to export the same audio with that option not selected.

Bob Bone

Hi Bob,

please do not bother with that, thanks for advices and effort to help me. I will return to CW after some time, when i cool down and hopefully program stabilizes again. I do not have nerves nor time to test buggy application when in the meantime other DAWs just works. Music is my favourite hobby, not frustration, as latest couple of weeks. I want to pay. For working DAW. Just tried tonight with Reaper. All works like charm, the same arrangement, the same VSTs etc. On my machine too. With VST3 counterparts too. I'll probably try with other DAWs, maybe not, I'll see what Reaper can offer relativelly to Cakewalk. Or maybe You know, why to choose Cakewalk right now? Why to stuck with broken car, when I can get well working for a couple of beers value :) ? Legacy projecs? I do not need that. What else?

Thanks, Bob and other with helpful comments.

BR, Dare

Happy to engage with you - hope you find something that works for you.

Should you decide to revisit Cakewalk, shoot me a private message, to let me know, and I will try to assist you with any bumps you run into, hopefully before they get you wanting to rip your hair out, etc...

For whatever the worth, I happen to have several other recording software suites: Pro Tools, FL Studio, Studio One - they have differing strengths and weaknesses, and all of them have outstanding bugs - not really any show stoppers.

I still believe some number of issues you are/were having with Cakewalk are likely caused by some configuration issues with your particular system, since there are not widespread posts about Cakewalk failing.  That is actually encouraging, because that means that there is a good chance those issues can be resolved, by analyzing the symptoms of any issues you are experiencing.

Best wishes to you, 

Bob Bone