Bias FX 2 - no stereo output in Cakewalk

Hi guys. So, this is kind of driving me nuts: in the standalone version of Bias FX 2 (or Amp 2 for that matter), I get a great guitar tone, and the ouput meter registers a stereo output signal (see pic 1). Once I open Cakewalk and use it as a plugin on a DI signal, for some reason i only get a mono output signal (see pic 2). The amp sounds terrible too, and nothing like when I open it in the standalone version. Also, when used as a plugin in Cakewalk, I can access the preferences in Bias FX 2, but not the line "Audio settings" is missing.

It makes no difference if the DI is a mono or a stereo recording, I still only get a mono signal from Bias. On the Positive Grid website I notice they say that the audio settings of Bias  will "follow the audio settings of your DAW". Okay? Could that be the key? And if so; what do I do?

Any help is greatly appreciated, this is driving me nuts.

output standalone.JPG

output in cakewalk.JPG

Hey Christian, and thanks for taking the time to answer. I've tried assigning both mono and stereo input to the track, but the results are the same.

The audio settings in the standalone version are mono input --> stereo output, and that works like a charm. When used as a plugin however, I can't access the audio settings tab of Bias because - like they say over at Positive Grid -  "Bias will always follow the DAW setup". 

1 hour ago, ensonced said:

Works fine for me, although I don't use CbB.

So you get stereo output from Bias when using it as a plugin? Can I ask which daw you're using? Thought I might download a trial version of Cubase and test there. Would hate to have something like this force me over though, have been using Sonar since forever.

Edited by Bjarte Alræk

I tried last night to replicate your problem and was unable to. In CbB, when I load BIAS into a track I get the dual output meters in BIAS no matter if it's a single or dual amp rig or wether I have the input on the track assigned to mono or stereo - never just that single meter on BIAS as shown in your photo. 

You don't need to switch daws over this. 

I have no idea what's going on but here's what I'd do:

Load up a clean new session and a single track for testing purposes in case something is corrupt in that session (it happens). Then, before loading up BIAS, load up another amp sim - any sim that you can use to verify a mono/stereo output from, a free sim or demo and verify that that sim is outputting in both mono and stereo. You may even test a soft synth to further verify proper stereo output functionality in this session. If the test sim is working correctly then delete or disable it and load BIAS and verify its output. If BIAS is still behaving that way then that would at least suggest it's the plugin for sure and not a corrupt session so I'd try reinstalling BIAS at that point. And try emailing Positive Grid and tell them what's happening. In my experience they respond in a day or two. A less likely problem is that you have some unique bug w/ BIAS and how it's interacting in your particular situation. I personally have a situation like that with BIAS FX 1 and 2, where it will delete an audio take I just recorded even after I watched the waveform get drawn, when I stop recording the waveform will just vanish, and and not everybody has this problem though a few others have reported it and the Cakewalk staff have confirmed it, but not everyone can replicate it. But hopefully you don't have some messed up unique situation like that and maybe you have just a bad install. If after all of this and it's still not working.. I have no idea man.. I'd contact Positive Grid soon. 

Well just for the heck of it I'd also have a look at the plugin properties on the BIAS plug under the vst2 button and see what boxes are/aren't checked. 

On 10/9/2019 at 7:36 PM, Christian Jones said:

I tried last night to replicate your problem and was unable to. In CbB, when I load BIAS into a track I get the dual output meters in BIAS no matter if it's a single or dual amp rig or wether I have the input on the track assigned to mono or stereo - never just that single meter on BIAS as shown in your photo. 

Appreciate the effort.

I made a new blank project with one audio track, loaded Bias as a plugin, and lo and behold: worked like a charm with stereo output coming from Bias. I then inserted another audio track in the same project, loaded Bias on this one, but this time we're back to mono ouput! Tried dragging the plugin back and forth from one track to another, and the output changes. On the first track it always works as stereo output, on the second track it's always mono. Have no idea how this can be. Maybe just a bug?

I notice that I encounter this problem in only 2 of the 10 projects I tested in yesterday, so the problem is at least contained. 

Thanks for helping out! 

• Confused 1